Maasdam gone by 2018

dogo88

Boarded her in Fort Lauderdale on January 14, the day after she came out of dry dock, and disembarked in San Diego on March 15: Carnaval in Rio, up the Amazon, and through the Panama Canal--thanks for the memories, Maasdam!

My personal opinion is that HAL spent money sprucing up the public areas while she was in dry dock. Throughout the 60 days there were all the issues that have been described in the earlier posts on this thread and some that weren't.

To those who subscribe to the mindset of "follow the money," HAL simply cannot afford the $1K+ OBC we and many others on the 47-day Carnaval and Amazon Explorer received merely for filling out a guest comment card and handing it in at the front desk.....

"The glass is always half full" describes my outlook toward life in general, and I remain optimistic about my onboard experiences yet to come in 2017 aboard the Amsterdam for 56 days, the Rotterdam for 38 days, and the Oosterdam for 21 days!

I'll check my journal for the cruise and see if I recorded any speciific questions that the gentleman asked. If I find any, I will make another post about that for you.

Thanks. Glad that everyone was on the ball!

Weather on Trans Pac? You never know. In 1977 I sailed from Avonmouth, Panama to Napier... 32 days passage. Not a ripple for the whole voyage. Long low swells, but perfect weather. Best way to have it!

Kathy,

STATENDAM was just a little one for Hamilton! Back in those days STATENDAM and DORIC were usually in together on Monday to Thursday. Now VEENDAM is easily slipping into Hamilton. Mind that is just at the max size for Hamilton.

Here a few photos for you of STATENDAM in Hamilton in the mid 1970s.

Stephen

Thanks for posting the pictures. I do remember being docked near a Home Lines ship, but I didn't remember which one.

we were onboard the Maasdam for 28 days roundtrip thru the Canal in March. having been on it for 27x with 532 actual cruise days I can say this will most likely be our last time sailing it.. this is the third cruise in a row that the AC didn't work in our cabin--2x in Verandahs and this past time on the Lower Prom deck aft-- and not working in many many other cabins---unacceptable

and to make matters worse they made all the public areas much cooler than the cabins...

heard the same about it already being sold to Eastern European buyers--Father and Son were onboard a few months back being wined and dined..

just disappointed with all the changes going on especially for long standing Mariners.. and the lack of upkeep to our once favorite ship in the fleet especially after a most recent drydock .. I will say it again-- the 'new regime' has ruined HAL ..they want and are getting larger money-making ships in the fleet..along with cheaper quality food in the Dining Room.. entertainment has switched over to a new agency while we were in San Diego for the turnaround day--terrible.. Lido lunch abominable...we were told about a year or so ago by some higher staff members in the know what was to come for high-day Mariners and that most wouldn't like the changes .. they were 'right-on'

We just got off an 11 day cruise on the Maasdam. Ships needs some repairs. Air was out in a number of cabins and others were very warm. Many of us received compensation for this. Other areas are lacking. Cruise was good but clearly this continues to be less in quality and service compared to past years.

We were on the same cruise with you. This is what I posted on our roll call site:

We are back and just settling in. What did everyone think of the cruise? Here's our take on the cruise. Maasdam showed its age with the technical stuff. It seemed like they just did cosmetic things and did not address plumbing and AC issues. The coolest our cabin got was 73.9 degrees even after a "technical" person checked it out. That was the coolest in his opinion it could get. Our bed was very wobbly and felt like a 70s water bed.

Food was just so-so. Service was under par in both the MDR (open dining) and in the Lido.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift that we were not pleased with the Maasdam.

We just got off an 11 day cruise on the Maasdam. Ships needs some repairs. Air was out in a number of cabins and others were very warm. Many of us received compensation for this. Other areas are lacking. Cruise was good but clearly this continues to be less in quality and service compared to past years.

We were on the same cruise with you. This is what I posted on our roll call site:

We are back and just settling in. What did everyone think of the cruise? Here's our take on the cruise. Maasdam showed its age with the technical stuff. It seemed like they just did cosmetic things and did not address plumbing and AC issues. The coolest our cabin got was 73.9 degrees even after a "technical" person checked it out. That was the coolest in his opinion it could get. Our bed was very wobbly and felt like a 70s water bed.

Food was just so-so. Service was under par in both the MDR (open dining) and in the Lido.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift that we were not pleased with the Maasdam.

Can't disagree with anything you posted. Especially loved the 2:30 am fire alarm the second night out.

Dan

Some of the regarding the Maasdam are upsetting given the fact that we have a 33 day cruise booked next hear to Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas. Rethinking this one....

Well, I suppose if things are really bad, you could withhold your daily HSC. After all, isn't that why it is "voluntary"?

Well, I suppose if things are really bad, you could withhold your daily HSC. After all, isn't that why it is "voluntary"?
Right - punish the hard working crew for HQ or shipboard management failings! :rolleyes:

Edited by jtl513

"Well, I suppose if things are really bad, you could withhold your daily HSC. After all, isn't that why it is "voluntary"?

I see OP clarified that by saying one would still be free to tip the staff who did a good job. Yes, clear as mud now, the condition of the ship having anything to do with service staff!

So sorry to hear all the negative comments about the Maasdam.

We are scheduled later this year in August to sail on her but we didn't get to pick the ship (it's a charter). I'm sure this ship was chosen for the itinerary which is 14 days and goes into Anchorage.

Hoping for a good time. APHC cruise is ALWAYS good so we will have to overlook all the (I hope) minor issues.

P.S. Tips are included in our fare but I would never chose to have them removed, the staff work so hard.

Not sure why you would think the Prinsendam would have the least revenue per person? She gets a 25-50% premium over other HAL ships for similar itineraries. Look at the price of an inside cabin for her South America cruise, $14k for 67 days versus $17k for the world cruise of 111 days.

The smaller ships need to charge a higher price, due to the higher expense per passenger ratio. Even with the higher price the profit per passenger would be lower then with the new ships.

When it comes to profitability size does matter as far as cruise ships are concerned.

This has been quite an educational and informative thread. My husband and I are experienced cruisers having just completed our 38th over 26 years. We will be taking our 6th HAL cruise in June to Alaska. We have stayed away from HAL for awhile because of their smoking policy.

Help me understand this. Let’s limit this post to AC and not talk about the plumbing problems:

The AC is so bad in some cabins that passengers are moved or given compensatory OBC. I fully believe all of you having read on CC, a long history of numerous complaints about the Maasdam AC and fear that in 2 months when we are on that ship it may well happen to us. We booked this cruise after final payment and had no knowledge of the AC problems or we would not have booked.

What will HAL do if this problem continues to spread throughout the ship? There are only so many, if any, vacant cabins. There comes a point at which the heat and lack of air flow in a cabin becomes intolerable and possibly a health hazard. We will be in an OV cabin and can’t crack a slider to let in fresh air.

I am also assuming that the affected cabins are open for future bookings in spite of the fact that HAL knows that they are problematic. How can they do this? It is just going to come back and bite them in the butt!

Edited by JudithLynne

Which they can not keep when you've removed the HSC.

Actually, this is a myth. There is no HAL policy stating that if a passenger declines to pay the HSC for a day, (or several days, or the entire cruise for that matter) that no crew member is allowed to accept any tips from said passenger. An example: (Extreme but it makes the point) If the passenger who was almost murdered by her cabin steward refused to pay her HSC, it doesn't mean that her favorite MDR server couldn't accept a tip for a job well done.

An example: (Extreme but it makes the point) If the passenger who was almost murdered by her cabin steward refused to pay her HSC, it doesn't mean that her favorite MDR server couldn't accept a tip for a job well done.

You are absolutely right. In that case the passenger's dining room steward would be allowed to accept a tip from her.

He just wouldn't be allowed to keep it. :rolleyes:

That is the HAL policy.

... and fear that in 2 months when we are on that ship it may well happen to us.
AK is not likely to be very hot in 2 months.
I am also assuming that the affected cabins are open for future bookings in spite of the fact that HAL knows that they are problematic. How can they do this? It is just going to come back and bite them in the butt!
Not everyone has the same preferred cabin temperature. On our last cruise (Eurodam) we had to call maintenance to fix our AC because we could not get it warm enough! (We've lived in FL for 36 years.) Many who complain about AC on this forum would have been delighted to have what we did, so hopefully what you get will match your preference. :)

You are absolutely right. In that case the passenger's dining room steward would be allowed to accept a tip from her.

He just wouldn't be allowed to keep it. :rolleyes:

That is the HAL policy.

Not to argue but...If he isn't allowed to keep the tip, where does it go? Certainly not back to the "giver" :D. P.S. I've given plenty of cash tips to crew members who I've see around the ship doing a good job and not once was I ever asked "What is your cabin number please?" How is a common crew member to know that you reduced/eliminated some or all of your HSC so they can "properly" dispose of the money you just gave them? The whole thing just doesn't make any sense. Hence, my believe in those who say it is a myth.

Actually, this is a myth
Absolutely NOT a myth. There is a HAL document titled Crew Services Cabin Directory (aka house_rules.pdf), last revised 9/2012, which states:

TIPPING NOT REQUIRED POLICY

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which

consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service

Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan

and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee

is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head

so the money can be added to the RfE plan. Any “tips”

received above and beyond the guests standard amount

may be kept by the crewmember.

Download it and read it yourself:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347497&d=1429979168

Anyway, this thread is NOT about tipping. All tipping discussions should be done on

SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD

OP: sorry about the thread diversion

Edited by jtl513

This has been quite an educational and informative thread. My husband and I are experienced cruisers having just completed our 38th over 26 years. We will be taking our 6th HAL cruise in June to Alaska. We have stayed away from HAL for awhile because of their smoking policy.

Help me understand this. Let’s limit this post to AC and not talk about the plumbing problems:

The AC is so bad in some cabins that passengers are moved or given compensatory OBC. I fully believe all of you having read on CC, a long history of numerous complaints about the Maasdam AC and fear that in 2 months when we are on that ship it may well happen to us. We booked this cruise after final payment and had no knowledge of the AC problems or we would not have booked.

What will HAL do if this problem continues to spread throughout the ship? There are only so many, if any, vacant cabins. There comes a point at which the heat and lack of air flow in a cabin becomes intolerable and possibly a health hazard. We will be in an OV cabin and can’t crack a slider to let in fresh air.

JudithLynne - The air conditioning is an issue. Many folks were complaining. I asked the front desk for a fan (was a bit dusty) - and they gave us one - it helped - it took a couple of days but the temp in the room did get better. Must have given a it shot of Freon :). Make sure you pack a power strip not many plugs in room.

Not to argue but...If he isn't allowed to keep the tip, where does it go? Certainly not back to the "giver" :D. P.S. I've given plenty of cash tips to crew members who I've see around the ship doing a good job and not once was I ever asked "What is your cabin number please?" How is a common crew member to know that you reduced/eliminated some or all of your HSC so they can "properly" dispose of the money you just gave them? The whole thing just doesn't make any sense. Hence, my believe in those who say it is a myth.

It goes into the "pool" and is divided up the way the hotel charges are.

Susan

Absolutely NOT a myth. There is a HAL document titled Crew Services Cabin Directory (aka house_rules.pdf), last revised 9/2012, which states:

TIPPING NOT REQUIRED POLICY

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which

consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service

Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan

and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee

is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head

so the money can be added to the RfE plan. Any “tips”

received above and beyond the guests standard amount

may be kept by the crewmember.

Download it and read it yourself:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347497&d=1429979168

Anyway, this thread is NOT about tipping. All tipping discussions should be done on

SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD

OP: sorry about the thread diversion

Quite informative!

P.S. I've given plenty of cash tips to crew members who I've see around the ship doing a good job and not once was I ever asked "What is your cabin number please?" How is a common crew member to know that you reduced/eliminated some or all of your HSC so they can "properly" dispose of the money you just gave them? The whole thing just doesn't make any sense. Hence, my believe in those who say it is a myth.
HAL is not concerned with these generally-trivial amounts. What they care about is someone "opting out" of $500 worth of HSC and "tipping" just their cabin and MDR stewards $100 or less each, stiffing everyone else in the HSC pool. Edited by jtl513