Sel de Mer

jtl513

I think the Sel de Mer's menu is most interesting and like the concept of different special entrees on different evenings.

One menu item I thought odd. Maybe our European friends can "clue me into this combination": Mussels and French Fries. I'd never consider ordering French Fries with Mussels. Is this a "European" thing?

Mussels and French Fries. Is this a "European" thing?
I know it's popular in Belgium. The potatoes are fried twice and topped with a kind of mayonnaise that's different from ours. They're not like American fries!

Edited by jtl513

HI !

About mussels and fries its a very very popular combination in Belgium !

They call it : Moules et Frites.

Dining with a couple of cans of beer as an accompaniment ..!

For residents of Belgium is also common to eat this dish as a North American that would take a hamburger with fries !!

Holacanada

I think the Sel de Mer's menu is most interesting and like the concept of different special entrees on different evenings.

One menu item I thought odd. Maybe our European friends can "clue me into this combination": Mussels and French Fries. I'd never consider ordering French Fries with Mussels. Is this a "European" thing?

Lunch in Dinan, France ordered mussels and they came with fries. Actually a good combo. don't know how to add the picture or I'd post it.

HI !

About mussels and fries its a very very popular combination in Belgium !

They call it : Moules et Frites.

Dining with a couple of cans of beer as an accompaniment ..!

For residents of Belgium is also common to eat this dish as a North American that would take a hamburger with fries !!

Holacanada

Definitely a Belgium treat. Often there is a choice of broth flavours for the mussels.....and I personally think beer is a must-do accompaniment, though a nice crisp white wine would do (as it often is in the cooking broth).

Many thanks for letting us know! Just booked for the upcoming Christening cruise.

My K-Dam cruise isn't until December. I wish I had booked an earlier one. I hope you have the time to do a review of your cruise. Have a great trip.

• 6 months later...

"Moules frites" are terrific. In Provence, France, the combination is ubiquitous. It's even more so in Belgium, where it's practically the national dish. Try it...the combination is wonderful! I retired to France for a while, and there was a wonderful restaurant in Apt, in the Luberon, that served moules sixteen different ways, but always with frites. The only other offering at this restaurant was steak frites!

(The frites have to be cooked correctly...cut into shoestring pieces and deep fried in oil twice; the first time at 350 degrees until the potatoes are softened and nearly translucent. Then remove them from the oil, allow to cool a bit, raise the oil temperature to 375 degrees and cook again until browned and crispy.)

Vive la France! :)

One thing about the Mussels and French fries, the portions were large, couldn't finish the mussels. The mayo is served on the side

Bob

Did you think the value of Sel de Mere is good? I've seen some criticism about the restaurant being very pricey. What did you think? Thanks in advance! :)