Orvieto

lidge

Here is the link within Cruisecritic where you might find the best answers to your question: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We've stayed near Orvieto on a land trip and it is a wonderful base for exploring many towns...but, as a port visit from Civitecchia it is a more difficult site to get to.

Does anyone know the easiest way to get to/from Orvieto from the Civitavecchia port? Prices? Thanks. (We don't want to do a formal tour that day).

The easiest way will always be hiring a driver to take you point to point. The distance is about 75 miles and it will take somewhat less than 1 3/4 hours to drive that distance.

This trip can be done by train to save money, but you'll be adding an hour in travel time each way. To see the specifics of the train connections, head to the Trenitalia web site, English language version, and plug in Civitavecchia to Orvieto. You'll find that there are no non-stop connections. Most train rides involve one change of train. The routes generally take about 2 1/2 hours.

Orvieto is a fabulous destination, but you won't have enough time in the city to make the trip worthwhile if you use train transportation.

I agree that it is better done on a land trip ... if you want to spend 2 hours each way, that is your decision. But for ME that means I don't have enough time there. There are plenty of closer places to visit from the port (not necessarily Civitavecchia).

Mura

Thanks for the input. No, I don't think we want to be traveling that far on this particular day. Other than Rome, what else do you suggest for our day in Civitavecchia?

Thanks for the input. No, I don't think we want to be traveling that far on this particular day. Other than Rome, what else do you suggest for our day in Civitavecchia?

If it isn't a Monday you can take the train to Ostia Antica which is just outside of Rome. Many sites and museums are closed on Monday. There are also some Etruscan tombs and interesting sites outside the port as well.

We went to Orvieto with a driver. Arranged it also with 6 others and we went some where else. I'd been there before. It was easy. I can pull the tour info.

This is what we did and Orvieto was not the star. Civita di Bagnoregio was a total surprise. You must walk into that village. The views were breathtaking. The walk was up hill and over a bridge. Everyone on our tour was surprised.

About the excursion to Orvieto :

Your driver-guide will pick you up at the ship to start your tour. Enjoy a leisurely 1,5 hours drive through the Etruscan countryside straight to Orvieto.

Upon reaching this spectacular well preserved medieval town you'll visit one of the best Gothic artwort in Italy " the Cathedral". Stroll through a colorful old neighborhood and you enter in a world that has no changed since Middle Ages. Time at your leisure for optional lunch to enjoy the traditional Italian cuisine, shopping in the little store and artisan shops. ( Orvieto is famous for potteries, ceramics and white wine). In the afternoon on the way back to the port time permitting, you'll stop at Island in the Sky Escape ( Civita di Bagnoregio) estimated arrival time to the port is around 5:30/6:00 p.m.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

We took the bus to Tarquinia to the north. Beautiful little town, nice museum and a great collection of underground tombs (Etruscan if I remember correctly).

Buy a ticket from a Tabac and spend a quiet day strolling around a town with almost no tourists.

Very easy to do as a day trip - it is only about a half hour bus ride

We took the bus to Tarquinia to the north. Beautiful little town, nice museum and a great collection of underground tombs (Etruscan if I remember correctly).

Buy a ticket from a Tabac and spend a quiet day strolling around a town with almost no tourists.

Very easy to do as a day trip - it is only about a half hour bus ride

This is a great idea. We wanted to go but we are in port on a Monday and the museum and tombs are closed.

I tried to edit but it would not let me. I have used him for three ports on our crossing on Riviera in 2013 and I know others that have used his company.

Claudio Caponera

http://www.limoinrome.com

claudio@limoinrome.com

We were one of the couples with Kathy on this tour and thought the tour company did a great job. This is a different company from Romeinlimo, but they use the same guides in different cities. At least they did from Livorno as we had the same driver that we had used previously on a tour with Romeinlimo.

If I remember right Limoinrome was less expensive than Romeinlimo for basically the same tour. The latter has seemed to have raised their rates due to their popularity through social media, which they cultivate.

We did a similar tour (like Kathy's) in Oct. and it is certainly doable with a driver. We were six with the driver; a guide is not needed.

Just one word of caution - the walk to Civita de Bagnaregio is quite long and uphill. It is worth going but the going is tough.