Seattle - Bremerton ferry advice needed

flatlander321

I have received some very good local info here and humbly beg for more local insight. :)

We'll be getting off the Carnival Legend Tuesday May 24 in Seattle. We have flights the following Saturday afternoon May 29 (Memorial day weekend). Our hotel for the four nights is in Bremerton. We'll have a rental car for the time in Seattle.

We'll use the Seattle-Bremerton ferry at least 2 of the days round-trip and likely a final 1-way trip to Seattle and fly from Seatac on the last day. I don't know how busy the ferry is on this route. It is almost certain the rental car will go on both round-trip days.

Our activities will depend somewhat on the weather, so I can't make ferry reservations until maybe the afternoon/evening for the next day. The likely times would be taking the ~8am to Seattle then return 6-8pm to Bremerton. I suspect those might be busy with people going to work then coming home and they'll have reserved slots.

Do I really need reservations if taking a car across? From what I've read, there is always enough room for people to walk on the ferry.

Some planned days:

First day: get off the ship, pick up the rental car, spend rest of day at Museum of Flight, drive to Bremerton hotel via Tacoma Narrows bridge.

First nice clear weather day: ferry at 7:30-8am, park at Seattle Center parking garage, visit space needle, visit the close glass garden, monorail to westlake, maybe do duck tour, monorail back, maybe EMP, ferry, hotel

2nd nice weather day: ferry at 8am, park close to aquarium area, aquarium, locks tour, maybe drive to Snoqualmie falls, maybe go to skyview observatory, maybe woodland park zoo, maybe EMP, ferry back, hotel

We fly into Seattle Sunday May 15. If the weather is decent, we'll do the underground walking tour and maybe the skyview observatory before driving to Vancouver that evening.

Edited by flatlander321

The Bremerton run is not one that can be reserved. And yes it gets busy with commuters. Use the web site to watch wait times and get an idea of how traffic looks at various times of the day.

It will be even busier on the Friday of the holiday weekend. If it looks like you won't get on, drive around using the Tacoma Narrows Bridge ( toll).

There is always room for walk on passengers.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vesselwatch/Terminals.aspx

For the day you plan on going to the Space Needle, Ducks, etc you don't need a car. Just walk on.

The majority of commuters on the Bremerton ferry are walk-ons; taking a car every day would be very expensive. I wouldn't worry about space on the boat.

On one of your trips you might consider using the Fauntleroy ferry - http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?route=f-s - maybe even including a tour of Vashon Island while you're at it.

On your first day, spending the whole day at the MoF might be a bit of overkill. I love the museum but it isn't that big.

You might consider this instead, for a real "crash course" in Seattle and Puget Sound: After the MoF, make your way to Harbor Avenue in West Seattle then drive around past Alki Point to the Fauntleroy ferry terminal, from which you can take a ferry to Southworth, just down the coast from Bremerton. This will replace a very trafficky trip down I-5 and through Tacoma with a very pleasant drive through pretty countryside on the Kitsap side of the ferry, along with a great sightseeing opportunity in Seattle on the way to the ferry. Route - https://goo.gl/maps/6SkEUJJLpW12

Views from Harbor Avenue - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_31a.JPG - and from Alki Beach - http://gardyloo.us/20140513_47H2.jpg

Or if you have more time, get off the ferry on Vashon Island and explore Vashon a little - https://goo.gl/maps/RJyy7Ai5kss - it's quite picturesque and rural.

Thanks for the good info. It just occurred to me a few days ago that Memorial day weekend might be a bit of an issue in the area.

If no car, would a cab be the best option to get to the space needle?

I'm trying to limit long or strenuous walking. One in our party has limited range/endurance for that.

At least I don't have to be concerned with ferry reservations.

The ferry info has been added to my bookmark collection for the trip.

The ship starts unloading officially at 7am Tuesday morning. We have no priority, so I don't know how long it will take to get off the ship then downtown to the enterprise car office. Enterprise has a kiosk at the pier and some kind of shuttle to the downtown office, but I've read it might be much faster to pay for a quick cab ride instead. I'm hoping we can have a car by 10am.

That leaves maybe 6 hours at the museum of flight plus a half hour for an early lunch. I thought it was a big place, yet 6 hours may be too long? I work in the aerospace industry and like history so this stop has significance for me.

I like the alternate route from MoF to Bremerton via the Fauntleroy ferry and the google map work was nice. Scenic drives with a ferry or 2 is good. I'm looking at the ferry rides as a low-cost scenic excursion while going to other interesting activities. Know any other good ones?

In addition to using the WSDOT website for ferry wait times, I find the WSDOT app invaluable and use it about as much as any app I have. It will, among other things, show you real-time how many spaces are available on a particular ferry time.

Also, if you haven't had time to poke around the WSDOT site for ferry info, here is a handy guide to when the ferries are at their busiest: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0361CADD-11FA-4759-8B48-2B912FA052EA/104213/Summer14BTTT.pdf

That's the 2015 summer schedule, but I assume 2016 will be similar.

I beg you, don't use the Fauntleroy-Southworth-Vashon ferry on a holiday weekend afternoon/evening. It's AWFUL. Three-boat waits are routine (I should know - it's how I prefer to commute home). Even an average Friday is miserable of late. The Bremerton boat is actually unlikely to require more than a one-boat wait. The bridge *westbound* is never particularly backed up anymore - while traffic through Tacoma itself is a little (lot) grim, I have a proposal.

You could pick up the car, do the Space Needle (possibly including luncheon - by the time you've bought the observation-deck tickets, lunch isn't that much more as the ride is inclusive) and then proceed to MoFlight post-lunch. The Concorde and Dreamliner static displays will not be tourable while you're here (they reopen in late June with the opening of the Aviation Pavilion), so I think you'd have it adequately covered in a few hours. Continue down towards Tacoma, optionally visiting the Museum of Glass or Point Defiance (one of the largest city parks in the country), and then drive on over to Bremerton, which is a perfectly pleasant 45 minute drive at that point.

While the ferry system has delightful moments, they are effectively old ships operated in salt water by unionized government employees under a budget that is insufficient to meet the needs of the system. Thus, one crossing on each route is more than sufficient to appreciate what they have to offer. I would, rather than spending an hour each way every day of your stay, seriously look at options involving the Olympic and Kitsap peninsulas - Hood Canal (a fjord, not a Canal) is beautiful, Port Angeles and the Dungeness Spit are charming and beautiful, respectively, Port Townsend has great shopping and dining in a victorian seaport vibe and all are viable options to get to know our area a little better.

I beg you, don't use the Fauntleroy-Southworth-Vashon ferry on a holiday weekend afternoon/evening. It's AWFUL. Three-boat waits are routine (I should know - it's how I prefer to commute home). Even an average Friday is miserable of late. The Bremerton boat is actually unlikely to require more than a one-boat wait. The bridge *westbound* is never particularly backed up anymore - while traffic through Tacoma itself is a little (lot) grim, I have a proposal.

You could pick up the car, do the Space Needle (possibly including luncheon - by the time you've bought the observation-deck tickets, lunch isn't that much more as the ride is inclusive) and then proceed to MoFlight post-lunch. The Concorde and Dreamliner static displays will not be tourable while you're here (they reopen in late June with the opening of the Aviation Pavilion), so I think you'd have it adequately covered in a few hours. Continue down towards Tacoma, optionally visiting the Museum of Glass or Point Defiance (one of the largest city parks in the country), and then drive on over to Bremerton, which is a perfectly pleasant 45 minute drive at that point.

While the ferry system has delightful moments, they are effectively old ships operated in salt water by unionized government employees under a budget that is insufficient to meet the needs of the system. Thus, one crossing on each route is more than sufficient to appreciate what they have to offer. I would, rather than spending an hour each way every day of your stay, seriously look at options involving the Olympic and Kitsap peninsulas - Hood Canal (a fjord, not a Canal) is beautiful, Port Angeles and the Dungeness Spit are charming and beautiful, respectively, Port Townsend has great shopping and dining in a victorian seaport vibe and all are viable options to get to know our area a little better.

Totally agree about spending time on the peninsulas. Where else could you, within the space of the same day, climb a snow-covered mountain, visit a beach, and spend time in a rainforest? (And yes, I've done it all in a day, though I recommend taking more time than that.)

As to the ferries...I don't know. I never tire of riding them. I'm astounded by the beauty I see, every time.

Edited by krista4

I too enjoy the ferry. Whenever we have out of town guests, the ferry is always a highlight, or for a short visit, othe Water Taxi to Alki Beach.

Given that you were in the aerospace profession why not drive up to Everett and do the Boeing plant tour on Tuesday ?

But I have to ask ... why are you staying in Bremerton ? Whatever you save in hotel costs you are spending for car rental and ferry fees/bridge tolls. Stay out by the airport at the Sleep Inn or similar and commute to Seattle on the Light Rail for $3. For the person in your party who has mobility concerns, a cab to other points in the city will only be around $15-$20.

But I have to ask ... why are you staying in Bremerton ? Whatever you save in hotel costs you are spending for car rental and ferry fees/bridge tolls. Stay out by the airport at the Sleep Inn or similar and commute to Seattle on the Light Rail for $3. For the person in your party who has mobility concerns, a cab to other points in the city will only be around $15-$20.

Great question and point.

You could stay out in Bremerton for a night or two and do peninsula activities. I would suggest staying close to Seattle to do a lot of the Seattle activities. Saves money on ferry crossings especially with a vehicle.

A citypass might save you money based on the attractions you are planning on visiting. http://www.citypass.com/seattle

Hth

Thanks for the good ideas, more things to look into this weekend.

Citypass- been thinking about one, but finally decided that the space needle would be the key to starting it. On the first forecasted clear day, we'll go to the space needle when it opens (to avoid long lines) and buy the citypass there. If it stays dark and gloomy the entire week, which it could, then no citypass and no needle or glass garden visit.

Hotel choice - It's simple, I can stay at the Bremerton Fairfield Inn free for 4 nights. I also want to see the destroyer museum there. I enjoyed the USS Texas battleship museum in Houston. The idea of taking the ferry a few times doesn't bother me. It's about $55 round trip and includes two short scenic boat trips each day.

I will have a car available after the cruise. I like the freedom and don't think it will ultimately cost more than using cabs to go everywhere. If the weather and road conditions cooperate, I'd like to do a full driving day outside the Seattle metro area. Exploring the peninsulas also looks interesting and a car makes it easier.

I looked into the Boeing aircraft tour and decided it wasn't a good fit. My interests are more military and outer space. Commercial jets are just something I have to tolerate occasionally. The Museum of Flight will be a much better option for us.

Thanks for the good ideas, more things to look into this weekend.

Citypass- been thinking about one, but finally decided that the space needle would be the key to starting it. On the first forecasted clear day, we'll go to the space needle when it opens (to avoid long lines) and buy the citypass there. If it stays dark and gloomy the entire week, which it could, then no citypass and no needle or glass garden visit.

Hotel choice - It's simple, I can stay at the Bremerton Fairfield Inn free for 4 nights. I also want to see the destroyer museum there. I enjoyed the USS Texas battleship museum in Houston. The idea of taking the ferry a few times doesn't bother me. It's about $55 round trip and includes two short scenic boat trips each day.

I will have a car available after the cruise. I like the freedom and don't think it will ultimately cost more than using cabs to go everywhere. If the weather and road conditions cooperate, I'd like to do a full driving day outside the Seattle metro area. Exploring the peninsulas also looks interesting and a car makes it easier.

I looked into the Boeing aircraft tour and decided it wasn't a good fit. My interests are more military and outer space. Commercial jets are just something I have to tolerate occasionally. The Museum of Flight will be a much better option for us.

I live in Bremerton and commute to downtown Seattle to my job so I am very familiar with those ferry runs. There are a lot of walk on commuters but I would try to avoid taking both the 6:20 a.m. and 7:20 a.m. departures with a car from Bremerton as there are a lot of cars on both of those runs. The return trip from Seattle to Bremerton I would try to avoid both the 4:20 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. runs with a car. And the Seattle waterfront is completely torn up right now with both the seawall and tunnel projects so even getting to the ferry dock on time with a car is a real challenge. And the Friday of Memorial Weekend I would try to avoid taking the ferry westbound from any location as the holiday weekend ferry traffic will be significant with long waits.

Since you mentioned military interests might I also suggest you visit the USS Turner Joy in downtown Bremerton near the ferry terminal. [email=http://www.ussturnerjoy.org/]http://www.ussturnerjoy.org/[/email]

A few Bremerton restaurant suggestions as well. Since you are staying at the Fairfield Inn, there is a great little pizza place right around the corner from that hotel, Bostons Pizza, which has great pizza and calzones. There is also Anthony's seafood restaurant right next door to the ferry terminal. Just over the Manette Bridge is the great little neighborhood of Manette. A few good restaurants there as well. Boat Shed restaurant has good food and outdoor seating when the weather is nice. Beautiful spot to enjoy the water and watch all the boating activity! Also Der Blokken Brewery for pub fare, and La Fermata has outstanding Italian food.

As others have suggested, head over to Hood Canal or up to Sequim, Port Angeles or Hurricane Ridge.

Whatever you choose to do, I really hope you enjoy your time in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

... And the Seattle waterfront is completely torn up right now with both the seawall and tunnel projects so even getting to the ferry dock on time with a car is a real challenge...

First, thanks for the local info and advice. How bad is the construction area? I was not aware of this. What is the real impact for people using the ferry system and visiting attractions along the waterfront?

I looked into changing my hotel reservation and staying the last day or 2 somewhere close to the airport to avoid holiday congestion. Due to a recent category change in the reservation system for that hotel, I can't make any changes without being adjusted to the new 50% higher rate for using points. It was a great deal at 10,000 points per night. I'll decide this weekend whether to cancel the hotel reservation or stay the full 4 nights.

Edited by flatlander321

SeahawkSiren, my wife wanted to thank you for the positive report on Boston's pizza and calzones. I'd mentioned it was a possibility and very close the hotel. I have an idea what late dinner might be on 1 or 2 nights.

Now to figure out what to do on Friday since the ferry will be bad getting back to the hotel with a car. Thanks for the info. Honestly, I'm having a hard time just canceling the grandfathered hotel reservation and starting over. It's 4 free nights.

Maybe we could cross early in the morning on Friday (no car) and do the seattle aquarium and locks tour only then ferry back to Bremerton and do the destroyer museum that afternoon? Then Saturday we would only have to go east on the ferry (with car) when most others are going west?

What about taking the Fauntleroy-Southworth-Vashon ferry on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening? I can't tell from your reply (thanks!) if that is bad or not.

Edited by flatlander321

SeahawkSiren, my wife wanted to thank you for the positive report on Boston's pizza and calzones. I'd mentioned it was a possibility and very close the hotel. I have an idea what late dinner might be on 1 or 2 nights.

Now to figure out what to do on Friday since the ferry will be bad getting back to the hotel with a car. Thanks for the info. Honestly, I'm having a hard time just canceling the grandfathered hotel reservation and starting over. It's 4 free nights.

Maybe we could cross early in the morning on Friday (no car) and do the seattle aquarium and locks tour only then ferry back to Bremerton and do the destroyer museum that afternoon? Then Saturday we would only have to go east on the ferry (with car) when most others are going west?

Understanding that you have the nights for free, and also with your interest in military stuff, I retract my thought that Bremerton is SUCH an awful idea. Really, I think you would be fine. The Friday Memorial Day weekend ferry would be a huge pain coming that direction, but other than that you will likely not have such issues. You seem flexible and with a good attitude, so even if you have a little bit of delay you will be OK.

If you're spending ALL your time wanting to do Seattle stuff, Bremerton doesn't make much sense, but if you want to see some other sights around the area it's not a horrible location.

You have mentioned the "locks tour" a couple of times - are you talking about Ballard locks? You should understand that that is not near downtown from a traffic POV.

Edited by krista4

So to do the Fauntleroy Vashon Southworth run, buy a Vashon ticket at either Southworth or Fauntleroy and you're entitled to travel on and off the island. There's not a lot going on for tourists on Vashon but the drives are pretty and the island is agrarian. There are several good options for lunch as well. Any route after nine am and before 3:30 pm (or after 7:30 pm) won't overload on non-weekend sailings.

a couple of points on the cost of ferry travel. With the exception of the Vashon route, where you pay double to get on the island, but getting off is free, only the car and driver pay both directions. Passengers only pay westbound. The Bremerton-Seattle car and driver fare in the summer is $17.50 each way thanks to the summer surcharge, and the passengers are $8.10. I can't make the numbers work to use a 20-ride ticket for the car (they don't get surcharged), but I can suggest getting a 10-ride passenger ticket, as they are slightly cheaper per ride and you can use multiple swipes to pay for multiple passengers. Purchase a "central sound" multiride ticket and you can use it for the f-v-S, Bremerton, Bainbridge Island or Kingston boats.

Also a note: drivers over 65 save $4.05 per direction and there's no rule they have to drive more than through the tollgate. Just ask the agent for the senior driver fare. Westbound, the savings are the same whether they walk or drive, so just ask for a senior passenger fare. A buck is a buck.

You have mentioned the "locks tour" a couple of times - are you talking about Ballard locks? You should understand that that is not near downtown from a traffic POV.

Argosy boat tours has a 2.5 hour locks cruise that has good reviews. It's a citypass upgrade from the included 1 hour harbor boat tour for about $20 extra per person. It starts and ends near the great wheel and the seattle ferry port. http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/locks-cruise/

I've decided to not do the seattle duck tour since we're doing one in Ketchikan on the cruise. I think the locks cruise would be different and better than another duck ride.

The multi-use ferry ticket sounds like a good idea. No senior discount for a few years, thankfully, but I'll be asking for it then.

Edited by flatlander321

I don't blame you for not wanting to cancel 4 free nights at a hotel, I wouldn't do that either.

That sounds like a good plan on Friday just walking on the ferry to do the locks tour and the aquarium. Many of the businesses along the waterfront are still open during the seawall project, I was just trying to help you minimize your trips coming over with a car or suggesting less congested ferry runs. It makes a significant difference to just walk on and off the ferry, less stressful and less expensive (I'm a walk on for my commute and dread days when I have to drive over). And you'll be on vacation so no stress allowed! :)

And yes, your return ferry trip on Saturday to Seattle on your way to the airport you should have no problems at all. There probably won't be much ferry traffic going eastbound that day.

With your military interests you may already know this, but in case you didn't know, there is also another museum in a different location from the USS Turner Joy/destroyer museum, the Puget Sound Navy Museum http://www.pugetsoundnavymuseum.org/. It is only a few blocks away from the destroyer so is also within walking distance.

Also, Memorial Day Weekend is the annual Kitsap Harbor Festival. The festival itself doesn't actually start until Saturday (the day you are leaving for the airport) but apparently new this year at the festival are several vintage vessels, so presuming they are in the marina prior to Saturday you may be able to at least view some of these as well. http://www.kitsapharborfestival.org/new-year-vintage-vessels.

You mentioned you may go out and explore the peninsula one day so I am just throwing out one more idea of a very nice place to visit in case you don't make it all the way over to Hood Canal, Port Angeles, etc. There is a stunning public garden on Bainbridge Island which is about a 40 minute drive from your hotel, Bloedel Reserve, http://www.bloedelreserve.org/. It is about a 2 mile walk around the entire property and it is not strenuous walking. The place is absolutely gorgeous and has a nice blend of forested areas, ponds, manicured gardens and meadows, among other things. It is a very peaceful place to go.

Argosy boat tours has a 2.5 hour locks cruise that has good reviews. It's a citypass upgrade from the included 1 hour harbor boat tour for about $20 extra per person. It starts and ends near the great wheel and the seattle ferry port. http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/locks-cruise/

I've decided to not do the seattle duck tour since we're doing one in Ketchikan on the cruise. I think the locks cruise would be different and better than another duck ride.

The multi-use ferry ticket sounds like a good idea. No senior discount for a few years, thankfully, but I'll be asking for it then.

Ah. Kind of a bummer to go to the locks and not stop to see the gardens or especially the salmon ladder, but I've seen people going through on these tour boats and it looked like they were having fun. The locks really are cool and I think you'll enjoy it.

The harbor festival could be interesting since part of it looks to be near the hotel and the Turner Joy floating museum. Our flight home leaves a little after 3pm from Seatac. Working backwards, we need to be on the 11:10am ferry to Seattle to not be rushed. I hate running through airports. I've done it and will likely have to do it again, but it's never plan A, especially on vacation.

krista4, I loaded the WSDOT app to my phone: very nice! Not just ferry and traffic info, but also border crossing wait times as well. That will help when we fly into Seattle and drive to Vancouver on the 15th before the start of the cruise. I have the Lynden route marked as a secondary crossing choice if the I-5 crossing is backed up going into Canada.

Ah. Kind of a bummer to go to the locks and not stop to see the gardens or especially the salmon ladder, but I've seen people going through on these tour boats and it looked like they were having fun. The locks really are cool and I think you'll enjoy it.

Will there be any salmon running in late May?