Specialty dining price increase

ladyaero

In my opinion, $58 extra for my wife and I to eat at Crown Grill is getting a little high.

We've eaten there many times and lately it seems the meat quality has gone down substantially.

The New York is much thinner now and tough, pushing me towards the Filet that has no flavor.

Does anyone know when they seem to have changed from USDA Choice to USDA Select?

I can definitely tell my last steak was Select due to the lack of marbling and toughness. - No good steakhouse serves "Select" grade meat.

As a comparison, try Costco's steaks on the grill and you'll see how much more tender they are. (USDA Choice)

On the Regal Crown Grill/Sabatini's was definitely "select" grade & perhaps not even that high. I doubt they ever used Prime grade.

We have a hard time finding Select in the grocery store, let alone pay extra for it on the ship. I believe the CG used to be Prime???

Princess & most lines haven't used "Prime" cuts in many years(if ever)Perhaps Queens Grill(Cunard)Crystal Cruises/Sea Dream/Sea Borne/Hapog Lloyde's Europa still use them.

Princess & most lines haven't used "Prime" cuts in many years(if ever)Perhaps Queens Grill(Cunard)Crystal Cruises/Sea Dream/Sea Borne/Hapog Lloyde's Europa still use them.
Believe it or not, Carnival uses Prime in their steakhouses. At least they did the last time I experienced it.

From a review I wrote talking about our Chef's Table experience on the CCL Liberty (admittedly from 2011):

"Frank (Executive Chef) also explained that Prime beef is served in the steakhouse and at the Chef’s Table, Choice is served in the MDR and Select is used for carvings in the buffet.

I honestly think the food I had at the Chef’s Table is the best I have ever tasted. The combinations of flavors show this food came from someone with extensive experience and excellent training."

Edited by Nezmo

I'm very interested by all the Celebrity defenders here. So you're all saying essentially that: 1) Celebrity cuts are much better, and, 2) only the chump cruisers ar paying full price. I would say that, 1) I have had a great filet on all of my Crown Grille visits, and, 2) I have either paid the full price of only $25 ( or they comp suite dinner). I'm happy that new cruisers are getting an equivalent price to me, and that we are both getting great steaks!

I'm very interested by all the Celebrity defenders here. So you're all saying essentially that: 1) Celebrity cuts are much better, and, 2) only the chump cruisers ar paying full price. I would say that, 1) I have had a great filet on all of my Crown Grille visits, and, 2) I have either paid the full price of only $25 ( or they comp suite dinner). I'm happy that new cruisers are getting an equivalent price to me, and that we are both getting great steaks!

The French restaurant on Celebrity I had the table side prepared cognac flambéed lobster tail. Which was amazing. The last lobster I had in the crown grill tasted like soap. My last dinner in Sabatini's the appetizer was awful but my steak was good. I honestly don't think you can do a side by side comparison of the two brands just based on price. You truly get what you pay for on both. I would still eat at the Princess restaurants but they really don't compare (for us) to Tuscan Grill and Murano on Celebrity.

Edited by Cruise Junky

The French restaurant on Celebrity I had the table side prepared cognac flambéed lobster tail. Which was amazing. The last lobster I had in the crown grill tasted like soap. My last dinner in Sabatini's the appetizer was awful but my steak was good. I honestly don't think you can do a side by side comparison of the two brands just based on price. You truly get what you pay for on both. I would still eat at the Princess restaurants but they really don't compare (for us) to Tuscan Grill and Murano on Celebrity.

Okay, then I say have at it at Celebrity, then. I'll take my simple palate to Crowne Grille at the $29 and be perfectly happy.

Edited by Luvmyrotti

That is great you get big discounts;), but was the comment about not too bright really necessary:confused:

Sorry. but if anyone paid full price, then they're not too bright! You had tables set up with staff "pushing" the specialty rest. We saw them every day several times while pax were going off & getting back on the Eclipse. There were ALWAYS discounts of 25-45% off. You had to be pretty much not with it if you didn't see that. I know some will argue.."But what about those pax who don't leave the ship & just stay on board?" If you went to the buffet, they were stationed in that area as well.

Okay, then I say have at it at Celebrity, then. I'll take my simple palate to Crowne Grille at the $29 and be perfectly happy.

The food in Crown Grill/Sabatini's was always quite good(the seafood, outstanding) The steaks, however were not as good as they could have been. Filet Mignon should be almost soft enough to cut with a fork(it wasn't)Tableside Flambé is a service I'm used to having in fine restaurants, whether at home or at sea. It really makes the ambience all that more special.

Believe it or not, Carnival uses Prime in their steakhouses. At least they did the last time I experienced it.

From a review I wrote talking about our Chef's Table experience on the CCL Liberty (admittedly from 2011):

"Frank (Executive Chef) also explained that Prime beef is served in the steakhouse and at the Chef’s Table, Choice is served in the MDR and Select is used for carvings in the buffet.

I honestly think the food I had at the Chef’s Table is the best I have ever tasted. The combinations of flavors show this food came from someone with extensive experience and excellent training."

First off I don't always believe what the "executive" chef says, no matter where I am. I know when I'm being fed a line. Being in the food industry, you kind of know that. That being said. The Chef's Table should be serving what you say is being served. It's normally the most costly meal on ANY ship.

Every one is raising there prices.

True. It's how you keep cruise fares so low! Generate revenue elsewhere. Fuel prices are now very low, and older "locked" in fuel purchases are now expiring & lower purchases are coming on line. Carnival's cash flow has increased dramatically because of this. Will they pass on some of the savings(across all their lines)? I doubt it!

I agree with you. However, the lobster we had on Princess was excellent. The Chilean sea bass was outstanding. We actually had Lobster for lunch in Murano & you could have played racquet ball with it! The lunch chefs certainly weren't the same as the dinner chefs. Our lunch was "comped" because of this. We know it wasn't a "one off" as many others said the same. Lunch in Tuscany, however was excellent. Dinner in Murano (all 6 times we ate there on 2 cruises)Was the best we've had at sea, with he exception of Cunard's Queens Grill. I feel the quality overall is better on Celebrity. The higher prices I think contribute to it. The new prices of $50 are getting steep. I'm sure there will still be plenty of discounting.

I agree with you. However, the lobster we had on Princess was excellent. The Chilean sea bass was outstanding. We actually had Lobster for lunch in Murano & you could have played racquet ball with it! The lunch chefs certainly weren't the same as the dinner chefs. Our lunch was "comped" because of this. We know it wasn't a "one off" as many others said the same. Lunch in Tuscany, however was excellent. Dinner in Murano (all 6 times we ate there on 2 cruises)Was the best we've had at sea, with he exception of Cunard's Queens Grill. I feel the quality overall is better on Celebrity. The higher prices I think contribute to it. The new prices of $50 are getting steep. I'm sure there will still be plenty of discounting.

Celebrity also offers Specialty Dining Packages which are very popular.

3 nights @ $109pp

4 nights @ $137pp

5 nights @ $159oo

You get a selection of the different Specialties depending on which ship you sail.

3 nights @ $109pp

4 nights @ $137pp

5 nights @ $159oo

You get a selection of the different Specialties depending on which ship you sail.

Yes, very true. We just prefer to "pick" our own. On some of the packages, you're kind of limited as to where & when you can go. We've slam-dunked(meaning we had EVERYTHING)in both Qsine & Murano. Next cruise we'll try Tuscan Grill more. Still really love Murano for it's elegance & great food.

Princess did it without CC approval? Shocking!

:eek: How could they do that without asking this august body of kibitzers! :eek: :rolleyes:

While on the surface it appears to be on $4, in reality for us it is $8. So this may be a deal breaker for some#$####@!!! :D

Just Mike

Price hasn't been raised for a long time. It won't stop me from enjoying the food at Crown Grill. As for SHARE, I think I'll pass.

Our thoughts exactly.

Just Mike

3 nights @ $109pp

4 nights @ $137pp

5 nights @ $159oo

This is no "savings" if I really only want to do a single specialty dinner. How is it that you all advocating Celebrity here on the Princess boards can somehow argue that the Celebrity specialty dining is comparable cost-wise to Princess? Whether the Celebrity meal is better, I can't comment, as I've not sailed Celebrity. I will say that I am entirely happy with the meal I get at Crown Grille (for either $25 or $29).

This is no "savings" if I really only want to do a single specialty dinner. How is it that you all advocating Celebrity here on the Princess boards can somehow argue that the Celebrity specialty dining is comparable cost-wise to Princess? Whether the Celebrity meal is better, I can't comment, as I've not sailed Celebrity. I will say that I am entirely happy with the meal I get at Crown Grille (for either $25 or $29).

Since you quoted me, lol If you are happy with the Crown Grille that is all that matters.

According to the "Butter" thread that is discussing Princess rationing butter pats, apparently Princess does not even use real butter but a blend of butter and margarine.

Check CC awards and 4 of the top 10 ships for best dinning experience are X while Princess has 2 the Regal one of the biggest and newest and Island one of the smallest ships.

You can haggle over who is best and why but the numbers have been crunched from thousands of reviews and every year it is pretty much the same though having Regal in the top ten was a 1st this year.

As for best in class X scored 5 ships in the top 10 so sort of a done deal.

According to the "Butter" thread that is discussing Princess rationing butter pats, apparently Princess does not even use real butter but a blend of butter and margarine.

Check CC awards and 4 of the top 10 ships for best dinning experience are X while Princess has 2 the Regal one of the biggest and newest and Island one of the smallest ships.

You can haggle over who is best and why but the numbers have been crunched from thousands of reviews and every year it is pretty much the same though having Regal in the top ten was a 1st this year.

As for best in class X scored 5 ships in the top 10 so sort of a done deal.

Ugh! So is every Celebrity cruiser somehow using a thread about a mere $4 PP price increase in the Crown Grill on Princess to tout the quality of the specialty dining on Celebrity? Enough already, this is it for me of the nonsense on this thread.

Edited by Luvmyrotti

Ugh! So is every Celebrity cruiser somehow using a thread about a mere $4 PP price increase in the Crown Grill on Princess to tout the quality of the specialty dining on Celebrity? Enough already, this is it for me of the nonsense on this thread.

It's all in response to someone earlier saying at least it's not Celebrity's prices. You're always going to get comparisons.

I for one, am glad to hear that regular Celebrity cruisers are impressed with the restaurants on that line. I hope I get the opportunity to try them.

Full disclosure: We did take a Celebrity cruise in 2004. It had a single specialty restaurant. We found every aspect of that restaurant--sevice, food, wine list--to be excellent. Since my experience is over 12 years old, however, I am not sure that my recollection reflects current circumstances. As I stated, above, the reports that I have read have been encouraging.

The only reason this came up was that Princess cruisers were saying that X Specialty Dining was waaay overpriced. So some X cruisers came on board to clarify.