Dunn's Falls or Red Strip Beach

smileycin

Hi there,

This is my first cruise and my first time to Jamaica. I think i have it narrowed down to 2 excursions and I'm just looking for feedback on pros and cons between Red Strip Beach and Dunn's Falls.

Thanks

Hi there,

This is my first cruise and my first time to Jamaica. I think i have it narrowed down to 2 excursions and I'm just looking for feedback on pros and cons between Red Strip Beach and Dunn's Falls.

Thanks

I would go Dunn River Falls (in fact I have). That is a bucket list type of item whereas Red Stripe Beach is just a beach day kind of thing and not necessarily even the best beach you could hit on most cruise itineraries. Also, I would add Blue Hole and lunch and do a tour like this with my favorite tour operator in Jamaica:

http://www.knowjamaica.com/tours/island-gullyblue-hole-w-dunns-river/

A couple other tour operators that are well reviewed here all the time:

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com/

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/

I would go Dunn River Falls (in fact I have). That is a bucket list type of item whereas Red Stripe Beach is just a beach day kind of thing and not necessarily even the best beach you could hit on most cruise itineraries. Also, I would add Blue Hole and lunch and do a tour like this with my favorite tour operator in Jamaica:

http://www.knowjamaica.com/tours/island-gullyblue-hole-w-dunns-river/

A couple other tour operators that are well reviewed here all the time:

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com/

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/

Perfect! Thank you so much for the info!!

we just did dunns falls in january, best time ever. had a few scary points but definatly a trip to remember. My husband said it was his favorite excursion ever

Decision has been made and Dunn's Falls it is! Can't wait!! Thank you!

A few DRF points to ponder - background, I first visited in 1986 and many times since ....

- Dunns River Falls is a national park. You pay for a day's admission to the park ... technically climbing the falls is free . . .

- The typical cruise excursion takes you to the Falls (about a mile from the Ocho pier), gets you into the park and hooks you up with a volunteer guide {working for tips} that builds strings of folks who will climb under their guidance .... you walk down stairs adjacent to the falls to the beach (you entered via the parking lot at the top of the climbing area) and are then assembled into a line, holding hands .... a chain ... and follow the guide up a well worn and relatively safe path back up to the starting point. THEN you have a little time b4 you get back on the bus .... one climb and game over.

This is NOT the only way to do this .....

- Take a taxi to DRF .... the fare is somewhat outrageous but it IS a round trip. Pay the admission fee (they take US plastic) .... telling your taxi what time YOU want to be picked up. The taxi is gonna assume you want the cruise special and say he'll be back in 90 minutes .... I usually stay 4 to 5 hours. I'm spending a day at Jamaica's water park!

- Put your dry stuff in a locker (small charge) and if a first timer, hire one of those guides ... they will then give you the cruise special tour - good for a first time - tip the guide and wave bye bye [p.s. your group ONLY ... not a string of 50] ..... then go do it again on your own and forget the popular path GO UP THE MIDDLE! CLIMB DOWN . . . jump off the rocks into the pools below after you verify the depth and NEVER DIVE

- Refreshments are available ... beer, meat pies soda water. And there is a 'native market' area but this tends to be unpopular with Americans as the JA method of 'marketing' is way too aggressive for our tastes.

- On our recent visits we climbed 3 times ..... then took a taxi to find some Jerk and were still back on the ship early . . .

this is in a 'pool' about half way up ... see the conga line holding hands behind us??? That's a cruise group . . .

drf9.jpg

here we're heading 'up the middle' and you see the conga line way over on the left edge

drf8.jpg

drf4.jpg

drf3.jpg

Did he say "relatively safe"??????? The entire area is 'old' and has running water ... the steps are usually NOT man made ..... they are uneven and can be slippery. This is NOT a Disney water park ...

TRIVIA - it has been alleged (on this site) that DRF is 'fake' and man made. As I mentioned I was first there in 1986 and it has not changed much from then. It was also a filming location for Dr No if you are a Bond fan . . . if you get to Ocho and see the 'big red building' on the west side of the port .... go back and watch Dr No . . . .!

Edited by Capt_BJ

A few DRF points to ponder - background, I first visited in 1986 and many times since ....

- Dunns River Falls is a national park. You pay for a day's admission to the park ... technically climbing the falls is free . . .

- The typical cruise excursion takes you to the Falls (about a mile from the Ocho pier), gets you into the park and hooks you up with a volunteer guide {working for tips} that builds strings of folks who will climb under their guidance .... you walk down stairs adjacent to the falls to the beach (you entered via the parking lot at the top of the climbing area) and are then assembled into a line, holding hands .... a chain ... and follow the guide up a well worn and relatively safe path back up to the starting point. THEN you have a little time b4 you get back on the bus .... one climb and game over.

- Take a taxi to DRF .... the fare is somewhat outrageous but it IS a round trip. Pay the admission fee (they take US plastic) .... telling your taxi what time YOU want to be picked up. The taxi is gonna assume you want the cruise special and say he'll be back in 90 minutes .... I usually stay 4 to 5 hours. I'm spending a day at Jamaica's water park!

- Put your dry stuff in a locker (small charge) and if a first timer, hire one of those guides ... they will then give you the cruise special tour - good for a first time - tip the guide and wave bye bye [p.s. your group ONLY ... not a string of 50] ..... then go do it again on your own and forget the popular path GO UP THE MIDDLE! CLIMB DOWN . . . jump off the rocks into the pools below after you verify the depth and NEVER DIVE

- Refreshments are available ... beer, meat pies soda water. And there is a 'native market' area but this tends to be unpopular with Americans as the JA method of 'marketing' is way too aggressive for our tastes.

- On our recent visits we climbed 3 times ..... then took a taxi to find some Jerk and were still back on the ship early . . .

this is in a 'pool' about half way up ... see the conga line holding hands behind us??? That's a cruise group . . .

drf9.jpg

here we're heading 'up the middle' and you see the conga line way over on the left edge

drf8.jpg

drf4.jpg

drf3.jpg

Did he say "relatively safe"??????? The entire area is 'old' and has running water ... the steps are usually NOT man made ..... they are uneven and can be slippery. This is NOT a Disney water park ...

TRIVIA - it has been alleged (on this site) that DRF is 'fake' and man made. As I mentioned I was first there in 1986 and it has not changed much from then. It was also a filming location for Dr No if you are a Bond fan . . . if you get to Ocho and see the 'big red building' on the west side of the port .... go back and watch Dr No . . . .!

ThNk you for the photos and all the helpful pointers. Much appreciated!!

what were the scary points? :confused:

Just on some of the slippery parts where you needed your human conga line to help pull you up. I did see people fall but it was those who didn't stay true to the course, I also had ruptured my achilles 2 years ago so for me to climb these falls was huge. I would climb these without the guides help. The pictures shown and younger physically fit people and I am so not that lol. loved this experience and highly recommend it

The pictures show [ ] younger physically fit people

old fat guy with bandana in pic 1 is me ... leader of the group ...

the hand holding of the group CAUSES as many problems as it prevents. People beginning to fall grab the hand holding them rather than break their fall . . . and if the person next to you falls and grabs on to YOU?????

No Thank you . .

I understand physical limitations .... I just had a total hip replacement and I suspect my DRF days are over .... BUT I also thought getting into my classic Mini was over because it is SO LOW ... but 2 months after surgery I drove the car today .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

To me the hardest part of it all is not the climbing up but rather the stepping down. More specifically: the parts where you have to blindly step into water without being able to see the bottom. For example, some of them are 18" deep while some of them are 30" deep which makes a huge difference when stepping down and not knowing how deep it is to the bottom. (just approximating the depths) Also, the underwater ground can vary a bit which makes you slide your feel to "feel" the bottom which is how I stubbed by big toe once. LOL

Overall, it is a great experience and I would absolutely have no reservations about doing it again. Except next time I won't accidentally leave my TEVA water shoes on the ship and have to buy those cheapy ones at DRF entrance. :)

Thanks for the pictures and detailed info regarding the falls. I will be sure to bring some type of swimming shoes. I have wondered about whether the rock surfaces can be slippery because at my age (43) I'm not too crazy about falling. For that reason I would not want to be in any "conga line" so we would probably go the route of the taxi on our own. But I do want to do it.