Does VOOM include texting?

If Voom does Surf OR Stream, what happens?

Surfing the Internet frequently involves streaming videos or music. So the questions would be; 1) Does Surf just use a speed limit? ; 2) Or does Surf block certain activities?

One wonders ;).

Surfing the Internet frequently involves streaming videos or music. So the questions would be; 1) Does Surf just use a speed limit? ; 2) Or does Surf block certain activities?

One wonders ;).

So far, "surf only" seems to be a sharply lower (on real VOOM ships) bandwidth limit.

One wonders ;).

I don't think there's much blocked and many things do work. Even on a non real VOOM ship like Rhapsody, I could view Youtube videos on SURF. But, it depends on a lot of factors both on the ship and the site on which you are viewing the content and even the type of device being used (a video formatted for a PC/laptop may play differently than one meant for a smartphone).

I don't think there's much blocked and many things do work. Even on a non real VOOM ship like Rhapsody, I could view Youtube videos on SURF. But, it depends on a lot of factors both on the ship and the site on which you are viewing the content and even the type of device being used (a video formatted for a PC/laptop may play differently than one meant for a smartphone).

I would only add that it probably depends on the time of day and how many people are currently sharing the ships bandwidth. ;) I've had mixed results (pre-VOOM).

We are on Radiance in 3 weeks so I'm tuning in to the VOOM discussions. Radiance just went thru dry-dock, not sure if it got real VOOM.

Thanks for the insights.

I don't know about Google Hangouts, but if it does not involve video streaming, it should work on the lower speed package.

That's interesting. How do people Periscope then? I was wondering about texting too. If it allows scoping texting shouldn't be a problem. :confused:

That's interesting. How do people Periscope then? I was wondering about texting too. If it allows scoping texting shouldn't be a problem. :confused:

I would think Periscope would require the stream package.

Any of those wifi apps will work fine on the basic package, but if you want to FaceTime, Periscope, Netflix.....anything that requires streaming, you will have to upgrade.

The streaming VOOM is amazing and everything works very well with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

We're traveling with another couple and texting would probably be the best way to communicate to find out where we are on board to meet up with one another. Do we have to purchase VOOM just to text between us? Any other ways to communicate other than walkie talkies without purchasing VOOM? We both have Apple phones

Edited by richpenny

Cabin voicemail.

If you want to text, VOOM (with a texting app) is the most obvious choice.

If you don't normally get many texts or anticipate getting calls from off the ship, you could simply use the ship provided cellular service. Depending on carrier sending texts are 50 cents while receiving one is 5 cents. So if you only send/receive a couple per day, financially you are better off doing that. But, any more than that or if you are bound to get calls (at $3 min) then keep phone in airplane mode, otherwise you could run a bill bigger than VOOM would have cost.

Edited by Biker19

We will be on Oasis in June, and are looking at the VOOM packages.

Does anyone know if texting is included?

I see streaming, social media, etc.

If DD is texting people back home, and they have an iPhone like her, is the Imessage included?

TIA!:D:D

To answer your specific question -- No, texting is not included.

But as others have posted, put your phone in airplane mode and use one of the many apps or turn on WiFi calling.

Just to be clear, RCI does not directly charge you for cell service of any kind, that bill comes from your carrier. RCI does charge for WiFi.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the info. Can't recall on the other ships, but instead of having to run to my cabin to check voicemails, do they have "house phones" like hotels have, on other decks near public rooms to check cabin voicemails? I know how big the ship is and know that we'll end up miscommunicating where to meet and what time to meet each other and hate to have to keep running to the cabin and missing a call or voicemail.

My family just went on a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas in June. I had the same concerns as you. What we did was get the lowest tier of Voom for all phones (we had 4 kids plus one phone between my wife and I for a total of 5). We put all phones in airplane mode to make sure they weren't used any other way to generate any additional costs. Once you put a phone in airplane mode, you can then re-enable the wifi. Then make sure each phone has Google Hangouts installed (works with both Android and Iphone) and use that app to text individuals in your group, send group texts, or even call each other...all using the ship's wifi. My son even used the app to call his girlfriend back in Nebraska!! Good luck and happy sailing!

Can't recall on the other ships, but instead of having to run to my cabin to check voicemails, do they have "house phones" like hotels have, on other decks near public rooms to check cabin voicemails?

There are house phones but don't remember if you can get your voicemail that way.

If you are using VOOM are you able to receive text messages/phone calls (via the internet connection) from people in the "outside" world on an iphone (most likely will be an iphone 7 by that point)? My husband needs to be available to clients, so I originally thought we would get VOOM for him to have online access. However, based on some of the messages on here, I'm not sure if it would do what he needs. Of course, he could always tell his clients ahead of time that he would only have email access. The more I think about it, prime calling hours will be during the day, so it might be a moot point as we would be in port most days.:D

Thanks for the info. Can't recall on the other ships, but instead of having to run to my cabin to check voicemails, do they have "house phones" like hotels have, on other decks near public rooms to check cabin voicemails? I know how big the ship is and know that we'll end up miscommunicating where to meet and what time to meet each other and hate to have to keep running to the cabin and missing a call or voicemail.

They do have house phones, usually near the elevator lobbies, but I've not seen any way to remotely check stateroom messages.

If you are using VOOM are you able to receive text messages/phone calls (via the internet connection) from people in the "outside" world on an iphone (most likely will be an iphone 7 by that point)?

Yes, if you have WiFi calling. You can try this at home now. Set up WiFi calling (assuming you have this feature), put phone in airplane mode, turn on WiFi only and see if texting/calling others works.

good to hear about the Hangout app and great info Kingpin.

So my question is we get VOOM SURF + STREAM Voyage Package - 1 Device for each person are we allowed to switch off between a iphone and a ipad?

Say if I turn off (disable) my Ipad and switch to the IPhone will that work?

I rather not be caring a Ipad throughout the ship.

I found a useful website that allows you to input any US or Canadian cell phone number, it will return the carrier name and the email addresses for text (SMS) and pictures (MMS).

Go to http://www.xminder.com/products/carrier-lookup.html

Planning to keep in touch this way through VOOM on the Allure next week.

For those not using Apple devices, we use Google Hangouts. Our family has a mixture of Android and "iphones/iPads" and hangouts plays nice with all of them. we use it to text, voice or video Call and even share files and pictures.

Just another option I had not seen mentioned.

dp

Thanks for sharing this helpful information.

Once enabled, WiFi calling should work as if you had a cell connection and all features (including incoming calls) should work the same.

Just a note with regard to WiFi calling, at least as implemented on an iPhone 6s Plus and AT&T. When active, it will say AT&T WiFi at the top left of the screen. It only seems to show up about half the time on the ship (BR). Could be related to the high latency and/or low bandwidth. Can't seem to see a pattern to it.