Jewelry Repair?

ahysmith

Not sure if I'd trust any of the big jewelers catering to the ports. Way too many complaints on quality and service. I do not know if locals could repair during the time you are there. That said , you could inquire at a local store with a good reputation for quality jewelry, Sergio's on Avenida Benito Juarez between Avenida 5 and Avenida 10. Just a few blocks up from the ferry pier.

IMO it would be best to check locally in your area. At least you'll have an idea of the time involved and the cost, so you can compare while in Coz.

Good hunting. And a great cruise!:)

I agree! Plus there's no way I'd walk off the ship wearing my good jewelry--

Seriously OP? You'd entrust a 10 carat diamond to an unfamiliar establishment?

I think she meant 10k gold. If meant a 10 carat diamond then it certainly be foolish to take that off the ship.

Worst case... You find a jeweler about 9 am. You explain what you want and settle on a price. You tell him you have to be back on the ship by 4 pm and he promises it will be ready at 3.

At 3 pm you get to the shop, excited to get your ring. He says he needs 1/2 more, it's been busy after all. You grab a drink and then go back. He proudly presents the finished product. It's exactly what you wanted. As you examine it a little further you feel something is not right. It's not your stone.

You bring it to his attention. He assures you it is, it's just been polished so it looks different.

As you go back and forth and you are getting more upset, you husband goes to look for a cop. He finely finds one who speaks English. The officer listens to your story and then the shop owners, whose English isn't very good all of a sudden so they speak in Spanish. The officer explains that this is his wife's cousin. Your heart sinks. He tells you he is an honest and trustworthy business man who he has know for many years. He give's you 2 options. Pay for the ring and leave or come down to the police station and file and official report. Of course when this goes to court in a few months, you will have to be here to testify etc. etc. You pay for the ring, after all maybe it is you stone.

You grab a cab and head for the ship. You have 15 minutes to make it. The cab turns onto the main road along the ocean and to your horror you ship has sailed. How could this be? Then you realize that there's an hour difference between ship time and local time. You tell the cab to pull over so you can throw up.

I have an active imagination so the chances of this really happening are pretty slime, but not impossible.

Personally I have never had a bad experience in Cozumel. We've been there many times and the people have always been gracious and friendly, just be wise in what you do.