Taxi or bus return from Mendenhall?

Djaye

We are doing a whale watch/Mendenhall combo tour in July. Will probably decline return to town w/tour company so that we can spend more time at Mendenhall. What is the best way to get back - bus or taxi? And, does it need to be prearranged?

Thanks for any suggestions.

According to the web sites for the blue bus and the white bus, service ends at 6pm 'most days' or 7pm. Perhaps depending on how many ships are in port?? So check with the operator that day.

If you want to leave later than that, take a couple of cab numbers with you and call 45-60 minutes before you're ready to go.

Or if you're staying until the last minute , I'd play it safe and make a reservation.

We are doing a whale watch/Mendenhall combo tour in July. Will probably decline return to town w/tour company so that we can spend more time at Mendenhall. What is the best way to get back - bus or taxi? And, does it need to be prearranged?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Either, depending on your port time. As mentioned, there no longer is a cab line at Mendenhall, so you will have to arrange your own taxi.

I had the same questions and was planning the same kind of day and just spoke to the people at http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ (Big White Bus), who said that their last bus can be as early as 5:00, so call them 907-523-6095 the day you arrive to find out how late they will be at the glacier and the cost is $20 per person cash to hop on.

Alternatively, they offer a whale watching and glacier tour that takes you to the harbor, on boats they had designed (we talked for awhile) specifically for whale watching, are on the water for 2 hours and 15 minutes and then will take you to the glacier and you can stay as long as you like taking one of the white busses back. Cost she said was $130, fully due at time of reservation and can be refunded up to 7 days prior. Whales sightings guaranteed or $100 back.

Still unsure what we will do, but I have that number with me so I can make the decision there and get a ride back if I need it! We are currently booked with Harv and Marv.

Denise

I had the same questions and was planning the same kind of day and just spoke to the people at http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ (Big White Bus), who said that their last bus can be as early as 5:00, so call them 907-523-6095 the day you arrive to find out how late they will be at the glacier and the cost is $20 per person cash to hop on.

Alternatively, they offer a whale watching and glacier tour that takes you to the harbor, on boats they had designed (we talked for awhile) specifically for whale watching, are on the water for 2 hours and 15 minutes and then will take you to the glacier and you can stay as long as you like taking one of the white busses back. Cost she said was $130, fully due at time of reservation and can be refunded up to 7 days prior. Whales sightings guaranteed or $100 back.

Still unsure what we will do, but I have that number with me so I can make the decision there and get a ride back if I need it! We are currently booked with Harv and Marv.

Denise

Thanks for that info. We are currently booked with Dolphin (I hope). We had reservations w/Orca and I'm waiting on confirmation that they transferred over. $20/ea seems like a lot for a one way back to town. I believe I've seen somewhere that a taxi runs about $40.

I have since heard back from Harv & Marv. They offer a 45 minute stop at Mendenhall for and additional $29 each. Maybe your company offers something similar. Should be enough time to do what we want.

This is enough time for the Photo Point trail, which does give a nice view of Mendenhall.

I have since heard back from Harv & Marv. They offer a 45 minute stop at Mendenhall for and additional $29 each. Maybe your company offers something similar. Should be enough time to do what we want.

We already have the combo tour booked, being dropped off at Mendenhall. But, we don't think the 45-60 mins allowed is enough, as we'd like to walk out to Nugget Falls, which takes about an hour. So, we'll have some taxi numbers with us, or catch a shuttle. If weather happens to be bad, we'll just return with our tour company.