WDW or RC just outta curiosity

Just wondering if anyone has passed on a RC cruise to go to WDW, not for the price but the special feeling Disney gives for the family, the exciting Vacation it brings for the resort, attractions. I guess the reason I'm asking is I love cruising but WDW is a place I grew up going as a kid for Christmas time and I feel like a kid when I go and no I'm not going on a Disney cruise. I hope I make sense in what I'm asking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just wondering if anyone has passed on a RC cruise to go to WDW, not for the price but the special feeling Disney gives for the family, the exciting Vacation it brings for the resort, attractions. I guess the reason I'm asking is I love cruising but WDW is a place I grew up going as a kid for Christmas time and I feel like a kid when I go and no I'm not going on a Disney cruise. I hope I make sense in what I'm asking.

Not from this family, I can't imagine waiting 90 minutes each time for the Flow Rider. For us, memories come from shared experiences...regardless of the locale. FWIW, Disney cruise line, while it looks wonderful, is just about as expensive as Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Land. To each their own!

We find Disney to be a waste of money. Kids love it but we were board. Everything tend to be geared toward kids. By 9 nothing was happening. I can take a 2 week cruise on oasis for the price of a 7 night on Disney.

We just came off a 4 day Disney cruise with our 8yr old granddaughter and while it was a wonderful cruise and she absolutely had the time of her life we won't be springing for another Disney cruise. Any future cruises will be on her parents.

Only 4 days.....3 people.....balcony cabin.....Spring break week...$4700!!!! :eek::eek:

Loved our trip but can't justify the cost again.....

Edited by GTO-Girl

I love both and do both. We alternate years. Next year we're going on a short cruise in February and then a trip to WDW in August. The following summer our big trip is hopefully going to be on Harmony.

But I doubt I'd ever do a DCL cruise, it's way too much money for me.

Edited by dcgrumpy

We're lucky enough to be semi-local to WDW and annual passholders. Because of that, we don't have to make that choice and I'm sorry you do. We go to WDW for day trips and overnights here and there. Our vacations are spent on Royal ships. I don't think I would want to spend that much time at WDW anymore. It's gotten too busy.

Ironically, we are taking a day trip tomorrow and a cruise next week...:D

We don't cruise every year - but usually take a bigger family vacation every year. Twice it has been to WDW. We loved it - except for my youngest who really hates hot weather! I have even gone by myself twice when my husband was at conferences at one of the resort hotels. Two very different types of vacations - but both equally special in my view.

Just like there is this forum to help in planning cruise vacations - learning from people how to make your cruise more enjoyable - there are similar sites for WDW. If you go - look up Tour Guide Mike - it is a paid service but well worth it to find out the best ways to do things and AVOID wasting time in lines.

Last year in March I surprised my 11-year old granddaughter with a 4-day trip to WDW. She thought she was coming over for a weekend at Nana's ... and instead we headed for the airport. She was beyond excited, because she'd never been there before.

The previous year, she's been on her first cruise when our family group of 12 did a 5-day on the Liberty. Since she's a thrill junkie, I suspect if I gave her the choice between the two at some point, she'd pick Disney.

But while we were there I drew the comparisons for her. At Disney when you want a meal, you have a long trek in front of you and a long line (even if you have reservations). There is nothing relaxing about a meal in the casual eateries, and when you vacate your table, the circling table vultures hone in on your location and someone slides into your seats as soon as you straighten up. Sit-down restaurant dining is hard to come by, and is preceded by an interminably long wait despite the fact you'd made sure you arrived a bit before your reservation. Contrast that to a cruise where you go to the Windjammer for casual eating (and your longest wait is maybe 2 minutes for the line at the carving station) and your sit-down experience involves a five-minute walk from your cabin to the MDR where you are seated immediately.

Entertainment at Disney involves staking out a good viewing area for parade, fireworks, or some show at least an hour in advance and then planting your fanny on the unyielding concrete to take the load off your feet (meanwhile trying to limit the amount of real estate you're hogging to about one square foot). Entertainment on a cruise involves leaving your cabin about 5 minutes before the show and sliding into a plush seat with the likely bonus of a waiter coming by to offer to bring you something fun and fruity to drink.

On the cruise, since you aren't spending so much time just waiting for your entertainment, you get to sample more of it. It's is very easy to take in a game show, followed by the main show in the theater, followed by a movie on the pool deck or a chance to do some dancing in the club. At Disney, dinner and a show is all you can hope for, followed by a good hour of travel time and some serious mileage on the tennis shoes before you get back to your room.

As for bonding time, though, Disney has the edge. We had plenty of one-on-one time while we were waiting for the bus, waiting for a meal, waiting for an attraction ... Lots of time to chat and share ideas, plenty of entertainment critiquing our fellow tourists, time to learn more about each other and our likes and dislikes.

Not sure how many times I've been to WDW, probably 9 or 10. It's a fun and exciting trip, a super-charged break from reality ... but a cruise is a vacation -- which includes fun, exciting and some relaxation as well. The relaxation piece is not a component I associate with WDW.

Grew up on Disney land and Knotts Berry farm in the late 60's and early 70's

Than Magic Mountain and the first corkscrew rollercoaster

Everytime we had a family in town we went to those places

probably 50 plus times

As an Adult another 15 times plus Universal studios a few times

BUT

Have never been to WDW:eek:

So I have to say a Royal cruise

We've done both, but I don't see them as alternatives for eachother. Disney World is fun for the atmosphere and experience of going, but it's not fun enough to go to every year. I'm not even sure Id ever go again now that my daughter is over 10 years old, because she finds Universal Studios more her speed now.

As for vacations in general, we always take one or two vacations a year, but it's not always a cruise. It's actually not even "usually" a cruise, although we love cruising. Theres just too many places in the world to visit to go to the same ones over and over again. Disney is good when your kids are 4-11 or 12, but after that I think it loses a large portion of its appeal.

I'm betting that nearly every kid (or family) longs to visit Disney at least once in their lifetimes. I don't think cruising has reached that level of universal appeal.

We've done both. They are very different vacations. Both great. Disney has more special moments however, IMO.

I am a total Disney freak. It is definitely my "happy place" and all my kids have been there many many times. My husband really wishes I could find a cheaper happy place lol. All my boys love it just as much as I do and last year that is where we chose to go for the older boys last family vacation big trip (2 17yr olds, 7,6). We figured if we did a cruise we would see the teens when we got on the ship and when we got off and not much in between. Not really what that trip was about. At WDW they still had a ton of freedom, their only real rule was they had to meet us for dinner every night wherever I had made ADRs. It worked out very well we would typically get going with the little kids earlier and they would stay out later but they would show up around noon at whatever park we were going to have dinner in and we would all hang out together until the evening. The littles have never been on a cruise but now at 8,6 we are leaving on Monday. The big kids aren't going with us to take them on crazy rides and they are old enough for all the activities on Anthem so I think the time is right. I can see it being a great vacation choice for us for at least the next few years, until they are old enough to be given a little freedom at WDW. Hoping DH and I will get a little bit of adult time as well which at this age really wouldn't be possible at WDW. I dont see much of a difference in cost after taking into account the "extra" costs of cruising - excursions, drink packages etc.

I think I love Disney more than my daughters. I think the crowds really take away the magic. They prefer cruising over Disney. They love the kids clubs and making cruise buddies. My older two love the independence of walking around the ship without parents. And we get time to go see a comedy show and a nice dinner, as well as some quality family time.

We live in Ontario so it's only one trip a year and with Starwars land coming out its making it more difficult with my wife set on this cruise as am I, the feeling when I walk into the park seeing all the characters, the shops. Being 37 at a point maybe I should grow up, guess I never will cause there's a kid in me, guess that's why my nieces and nephews love me who range from 9-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I actually compared cruising on Disney. I now see you are trying to choose between Disney world and a cruise. I only live two hours from Disney world. But to me you need a vacation after visiting a park. So busy with long lines all the time now. You cant even compare the two. I would go on a cruise and before heading to the ship spend a few days at the parks.

Edited by renza

We have done WDW 3 times with our daughter.

It was easier when she was younger and we could pull her out of school.:rolleyes:

Now she is a junior in HS, so that is no longer an option.

We went 3 years ago, in July.:eek::eek:

Never again. I was MELTING just walking around in that heat.

After a week at WDW I feel like I need another vacation to just relax.

I much prefer cruising......DH and DD, not so much.:D:D

Here's my two cents.

We have been doing Disney cruises in the past, the only cruise line we have sailed with. This year will be the first RCL cruise for us and I'm looking forward to a new experience.

For the price of the Disney cruise, we have been able to book a sailing on the Oasis PLUS book a week at a value resort, tickets and dining. Disney will be our first week and then we will transfer to the port and do our Oasis sailing.

With DCL being so so expensive, its not hard to give it up and benefit from an extra weeks vacation.

Best of both worlds.

We made the mistake last year in going to the magic kingdom when it was Florida March break, and it was quite chilly. We did all the kingdoms in 7 days and were exhausted but it still took me to when I was a kid going on the tower of terror or certain rides. I know this is kind of related RC related, but it's also different land or cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Everyone says the cost of a DC, how does the food, customer service, food for adults. So let's say you take the price for a DC and in comparison to RC without having kids would you still choose RC and does DC offer the same magic as the theme park?

Everyone says the cost of a DC, how does the food, customer service, food for adults. So let's say you take the price for a DC and in comparison to RC without having kids would you still choose RC and does DC offer the same magic as the theme park?

Yes! I just find the general feeling on a DC so much different than other ships - they just go that extra mile everywhere on the ship to make it a magical experience.

Nope. no way:)