Evening Skagway Options?

Planning is Half the Fun

Any advice on options for Skagway in the evening? The town seems to shut down around 5pm but our ship departs at 8:30pm. It's a Saturday night in late August and I want to maximize my experience, but those last couple hours are looking wasted right now.

Also, the fast ferry schedule that day doesn't work with our other plans. Are there any boat options more flexible than the fast ferry, especially during the evening?

It will be our first and possibly only Alaskan cruise. I'm doing extensive research and this is the only window of our whole cruise where I can't find a single thing to do (instead of having 30 choices).

My Royal Caribbean ship has an excursion to Jewell Gardens, including afternoon tea, at 5:00 the day we are there. I've read great reviews about the gardens, so I plan to book that tour. I will do other things earlier in the day. See if your ship has an excursion that starts later in the afternoon.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by NancyIL

There are many things to do, here in Skagway, on a Saturday night, even in our season of reality, (which goes on from last of September thru next week)

But first we need to know what you already have planned for your Sataurday day here so that we might not overlap some free activity for something which you may have already paid to do:):?

DD

There are many things to do, here in Skagway, on a Saturday night, even in our season of reality, (which goes on from last of September thru next week)

But first we need to know what you already have planned for your Sataurday day here so that we might not overlap some free activity for something which you may have already paid to do:):?

DD

I would love a suggestion, Dave. We have a photo excursion scheduled for 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, and our ship doesn't depart until 9:00 PM. I've called Holland America for excursion suggestions, but there is only one excursion available for afternoon/evening that sounds even slightly interesting (and I don't want pay $$$ for something that sounds only "slightly interesting").

This will be our fourth time in Skagway. Last time we did your van tour to and from Carcross, and would love to do something like that but in the afternoon.

I would love a suggestion, Dave. We have a photo excursion scheduled for 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, and our ship doesn't depart until 9:00 PM. I've called Holland America for excursion suggestions, but there is only one excursion available for afternoon/evening that sounds even slightly interesting (and I don't want pay $$$ for something that sounds only "slightly interesting").

This will be our fourth time in Skagway. Last time we did your van tour to and from Carcross, and would love to do something like that but in the afternoon.

There are some summit trips that go out in the afternoon, but not Yukon trips, that I know of?

The best use of your time, would be a car rental. It's a 5 hour, usual time investment for a round trip Emerald Lake, which you have plenty of time for. I'd suggest if you do this, you verify your pick up time when you are there, so to not have any mix ups with the late pick up- ideally, picking the car up prior to 9am would be the best use of time.

There are some summit trips that go out in the afternoon, but not Yukon trips, that I know of?

The best use of your time, would be a car rental. It's a 5 hour, usual time investment for a round trip Emerald Lake, which you have plenty of time for. I'd suggest if you do this, you verify your pick up time when you are there, so to not have any mix ups with the late pick up- ideally, picking the car up prior to 9am would be the best use of time.

Great suggestion!! I'm going to check it out right now. Thank you so much.

We dock at 7 and we're considering the street car at 8:30 or else some independent town exploring, the free ranger walk at 10, the red onion quickie tour at 11:30, the railroad up and sockeye bike down at 12:05. So we'll be back to town just about 5pm. After dinner all I could come up with was one of nature trails near the port, but a peer in the group is concerned about something going wrong in the woods and us getting back too late. So I'd love to hear other options.

And not quite related - is the street car at 8:30 followed by the ranger tour at 10 wise? Some places say the street car is an hour and a half and drops off at the pier. Can we catch up with the ranger? Is the narration of the street car, ranger tour, and railway significantly different?

I really appreciate everyone's help / advice on this.

We dock at 7 and we're considering the street car at 8:30 or else some independent town exploring, the free ranger walk at 10, the red onion quickie tour at 11:30, the railroad up and sockeye bike down at 12:05. So we'll be back to town just about 5pm. After dinner all I could come up with was one of nature trails near the port, but a peer in the group is concerned about something going wrong in the woods and us getting back too late. So I'd love to hear other options.

And not quite related - is the street car at 8:30 followed by the ranger tour at 10 wise? Some places say the street car is an hour and a half and drops off at the pier. Can we catch up with the ranger? Is the narration of the street car, ranger tour, and railway significantly different?

I really appreciate everyone's help / advice on this.

It isn't a ranger "walk" at 10, it's a ranger talk. It can be standing room only, if you don't get there earlier.

For the ranger walking tour, you have to get tickets, that are passed out at 8a. They do fill up.

Your ideas are too tight of a timeframe. So you need to cut something out between your tours.

Each one will offer a different perspective on the Skagway history. Each worthwhile, depending on interests.

Thanks Budget Queen. Maybe this is a new option, but I was able to reserve tickets online for a one hour walking tour that covers four blocks of town. There were 3 walking tours available, but only one on the day when I was there.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm - here's the link

Then again, perhaps they are misrepresenting what they offer?

I'm glad for your input and others who've actually been there. I know that real life things are different from how they look on a map.

Edited by Planning is Half the Fun

Thanks Budget Queen. Maybe this is a new option, but I was able to reserve tickets online for a one hour walking tour that covers four blocks of town. There were 3 walking tours available, but only one on the day when I was there.

I'm glad for your input and others who've actually been there. I know that real life things are different from how they look on a map.

Thank you for posting that link! Have made my tour reservations for July. :-)

This is a new service. Thank you for the update. They've always had a ranger talk at 10am, which, in the past could really enhance a visit. Their movie is also very worthwhile.

They will also have walking tour tickets for walk up visitors. But just about always- you have to secure them early, since they are limited.