Sea sickness

We are going on our first cruise May 22nd on freedom of the seas. I say my first cruise but I went on one back in 3rd grade or so for 3 nights. One thing I remember is being at the formal dinner and getting sick and leaving back to the room with my.mom who also got sick. I want to prevent it this time. My main concern is also my two young boys. I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old coming. Any recommendations on something I can bring with me for the little guys and anything that actually works for adults?

They have a small patch you wear behind your ear, very small and hardly noticeable. No side effects like you will get from dramimine (spelling?). You will need to get this from your doctor. I am not sure about the kids, although I am curious too. We are going in November and my son will be 7 and I didn't even think about sea sickness for him.

We are going on our first cruise May 22nd on freedom of the seas. I say my first cruise but I went on one back in 3rd grade or so for 3 nights. One thing I remember is being at the formal dinner and getting sick and leaving back to the room with my.mom who also got sick. I want to prevent it this time. My main concern is also my two young boys. I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old coming. Any recommendations on something I can bring with me for the little guys and anything that actually works for adults?

Chances are that ship you went on many years ago was a fraction of the size that Freedom is. There will also be a fraction of the motion. Seas dictate how much movement there will be so no one knows what will be on your cruise. Non drowsy Bonine is what many with motion sickness problems take.

I was assured that I wouldn't feel the boat on my first cruise and I ended up throwing up by dinner on the first night. :eek:

I use Dramamine and just take 1 each day with no noticeable side effects.

DW has motion sickness issues. She takes a Bonine pill every day (including flying days) and never has a problem. Bonine does not make her drowsy. Bonine is an over-the-counter drug. I would check with your doctor about your children using it.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Ginger tablets are readily available in pharmacies, and they really keep my stomach settled. I take two a day starting about a week before a cruise.

On a recent cruise, we had one night where the sailing was a little rough and my stomach was a little queasy despite the ginger. Our waiter recommended a ginger drink and slices of green apple. Though I was a little wary of the combination, within ten minutes of eating this combination, I felt fine!

Bonine works great for us. Generic name is Meclizene. I take it every day on a cruise and have not been sick since I started doing this.

I would check with your kid's doctor or a pharmacist about something that they can take.

The patch that you wear behind your ear can have awful side effects for some folks- me for one! Got an RX from my doc and tried it once. Never again. Made my eyes so blurry that I couldn't read anything and had a very dry mouth. I didn't get sea sick but I felt bad until I took it off. And it took a couple of days for the effects to wear off.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

I usually take the non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine daily. I actually just saw in the pharmacy, Dramamine all-day less drowsy formula that boasts 24 hour protection (not sure how true that is). There are also "Queasy Pops" that I found on Amazon - which could be appealing to your kids - although I haven't tried them myself yet. I've also tried ginger pills, the patch, and the wristbands; those haven't worked for me. Different things work for different people. Best of luck on your cruise!

Thank you guys so much! I was hoping maybe I could find an over the counter product. I hate to go pay a 60 dollar Co pay for my doctor to see me just to get something to take in case I get sick. I'm leaning towards trying the bonine. Seems like a lot of you have used it! Now just to figure out what to do for the the young ones. All I need is for my.kids to be puking at the dinner table 😅 so glad I found this app to be able to ask my dumb first cruiser questions! You guys are great. Also I hear different parts of the boat you seem to feel more. I think the middle of the boat is best? Makes me a little nervous because we are in room 1404 which is the very back balcony room.

There is also a non-drowsy Dramamine formula for children. My son used it the first night on his 5 yr old and 3 yr old on our Disney cruise . Worked like a charm. As long as Meclizine is the main ingredient you should be fine. Happy, healthy cruising.

We just did Navigator of the seas and felt nothing. Freedom is even larger.

Dramamine may make you drowsy and not enjoy anything...

http://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460850407&sr=8-1&keywords=meclizine

Or the patch behind the ear, if you have a family doctor you may be able to call them and have them fax a pharmacy a script vs copays.

I always get seasick, and the adventure back to back we just did was the same...until our waiter suggested I drink Ginger Ale. It's magical stuff, works better than the tablets I was taking. I sipped on it all the rest of the cruise and was fine!

Thank you guys so much! I was hoping maybe I could find an over the counter product. I hate to go pay a 60 dollar Co pay for my doctor to see me just to get something to take in case I get sick. I'm leaning towards trying the bonine. Seems like a lot of you have used it! Now just to figure out what to do for the the young ones. All I need is for my.kids to be puking at the dinner table 😅 so glad I found this app to be able to ask my dumb first cruiser questions! You guys are great. Also I hear different parts of the boat you seem to feel more. I think the middle of the boat is best? Makes me a little nervous because we are in room 1404 which is the very back balcony room.

Bonine makes a version for kids that is chewable. I have used it for my son since he was younger (under 10 yrs), and it works well for him. We just came off of Adventure and my son got a little queasy about the second day. He started taking the bonine and all was good. It causes less drowsiness, and is over the counter. It may be hard to find at your local store, but you can get it online at Amazon, which is what i always do.

Because I'm extremely motion sickness prone, I started with prescription Meclizine before I went on my first cruise n 1984. I've never cruised without it, but now it's OTC Bonine. I also use it for riding in the mountains and at theme parks. No side or after effects.

I've frequently heard the patch can make people seasick after they're home. I guess it depends on your system. Bonine has never let me down. None of them work after you get nauseated. I chew a Bonine the morning of the day I'm

sailing, and another around 4:30. That normally is enough unless we run into extremely rough seas.

The only other time seems to be leaving Cozumel heading east to Florida. It can get pretty rock and rolly.

It's the roll that's the biggest problem. Remember, whatever you do, don't wait till you feel sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The patches as Transcopamine (SP?) and have to get them from a Dr visit. We used them in the Navy in the North Atlantic in winter if we were shallow. The patches may give you dry mouth, and may cause some people to have a funny taste in their mouths.

Most cruise from Florida have a little motion on the way out the first night because you are cutting across the gulf stream at an angle, so there is a little motion usually around first dinner, last about two hours, then I almost never feel the ship move.

As someone above mentioned, the newer ships are HUGE compared to older ships, and have stabilizers to smooth out the ride.

Cruise more, worry less!

There is also a non-drowsy Dramamine formula for children. My son used it the first night on his 5 yr old and 3 yr old on our Disney cruise . Worked like a charm. As long as Meclizine is the main ingredient you should be fine. Happy, healthy cruising.

Our 8 year old granddaughter uses childrens Dramamine, works fine and is over the counter. Has car sickness problems but loves things like tilt-a-whirl. Start a day or two before sailing.