A Few Hours Pre-Cruise...time enough?

Claire22

Hello,

My husband and I are anticipating our second cruise, which begins in San Juan in September. Our flight arrives at 2:15 p.m. and the ship sails at 8:30 p.m. I was looking forward to spending even a few hours, if possible, in Old San Juan but am wondering, with the time given, if this is a realistic expectation. We wanted to fly in a day or two ahead to have ample time to enjoy the city but unfortunately there are no direct flights from Canada except on the days coinciding with cruise ship departures and arrivals in San Juan. This is a huge disappointment but I'm wondering if it's still possible to have a quick tour of the city on foot. The Royal Caribbean web site says that the ship will be docked at the Pan American Pier instead of the one in Old San Juan, where I assumed the ship would be, so I realize that this makes it less convenient. Is it possible to leave the ship after boarding to visit Old San Juan? How much time can we realistically expect to have if we took a taxi? As mentioned above we've only been on one other Caribbean cruise so we're still inexperienced and could really use some guidance. Thanks so much.

I would seriously consider a non direct flight. There seems to be plenty of options for flights leaving Canada. We are planning a flight in a couple of days early for our carnival cruise next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am tempted to take a non-direct flight but am also feeling very uneasy about this option since friends of ours had an unfortunate experience with a connecting flight several years back. When they arrived at their destination their luggage was nowhere to be seen, they still aren't sure where it ended up but it was three days before they got it back. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to arrive on ship without any luggage, all our clothes enroute to another city while we sail away. Normally this wouldn't worry me, but after hearing, first hand, of someone caught in this type of situation it really hits home and makes you realize that this could also possibly happen to you. It's a chance I'm not really comfortable taking if at all possible.

Even though the ship does not sail, all aboard is generally 4:30 or 5, so that they can do muster before dining starts. You are leaving yourself very little room for weather or mechanical delays. What is your next port? You may want to have a back up plan if things do not go as scheduled.

There will be no time to visit Old San Juan. You need to go from the airport directly to the ship.

I am tempted to take a non-direct flight but am also feeling very uneasy about this option since friends of ours had an unfortunate experience with a connecting flight several years back. When they arrived at their destination their luggage was nowhere to be seen, they still aren't sure where it ended up but it was three days before they got it back. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to arrive on ship without any luggage, all our clothes enroute to another city while we sail away. Normally this wouldn't worry me, but after hearing, first hand, of someone caught in this type of situation it really hits home and makes you realize that this could also possibly happen to you. It's a chance I'm not really comfortable taking if at all possible.

While only you can determine what risks you are most comfortable with, I do hope you are weighing the risk of your luggage not making a connecting flight against the risk of your missing the ship by flying in the afternoon of embarkation.

Edited by Turtles06

We brought our luggage on board the plane instead of checking. Cheaper, and we were able to take a non-direct flight the day before the ship leaves without worrying about losing our luggage. We're efficient packers, and between the suitcase and a backpack each, we had everything we needed. Like most people, I recommend not flying the day your ship leaves unless you have to. Our flight was an hour late taking off because of tarmac traffic.

But yes, between getting from the airport to the pier to check in and get your luggage on board, you won't have time to do anything before needing to be back on board so you can do the muster before embarkation.

I think that after reading your suggestions we will take our chances and book an non-direct flight to San Juan the day before. I wish I could manage to pack everything I need into a carry on bag, which is a very good idea, but unfortunately I'm high maintenance and need a larger bag to accommodate everything.

I think you'll be just fine. We have booked connecting flights through delta and united out of Calgary for the past 7 years with no (knock on wood) problems. I never book more than one connection and through the same carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I noticed on some recent cruise compass(es) that all aboard in San Juan that first day is 8 p.m. I'm assuming that's for those who have already checked in, gotten off the ship and are returning. We plan to do check in earlier in the day, explore OSJ and come back to the ship.

While only you can determine what risks you are most comfortable with, I do hope you are weighing the risk of your luggage not making a connecting flight against the risk of your missing the ship by flying in the afternoon of embarkation.

Agree completely, looks like the OP decided to go in a day ahead of time.