Booking Tours

binbali

IF you are SURE you want these tours, you may be able to book now, or will be able to do so, after this season ends.

There are a LOT of options, and a propensity to book some "usual", common tours. Be sure you've at least considered a wide range tour opportunities. ;)

Thanks Budget Queen,yes have done a bit of research and there is so many options, I feel I have a good selection picked for our ports.

We are stopping at Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Flights Island Wings

Juneau - Harv and Marv

Skagway- Chilkoot Train and bus tour with dog mash 7.5 hour one

Sitka- Fortress of the bears and raptor centre

Victoria BC - just walk around explore and visit the local pub probbaly.

I there something I missed that I should really do on our first tip to Alaska?

Another thing to look at is how many ships are in port with you.

Ketchikan will have 5 other ships for a total of 6 - this will really put a strain on excursion vendors - book as early as you can. Also check out http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for alternate ideas.

Juneau - you will be one of two.

Skagway - you will also be one of two

Sitka - you will be by yourself.

This is as of now - I am sure that it will change as other lines announce their 2017 schedules.

I used Cruise Timetables.com they show the Carnival Legend will be joining the Solstice in Juneau on the 20th. another good source is Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska who publishes port schedules which also includes the dock arrangements, they won't have 2017 schedule out until near the end of this year.

Also contrary to some people's belief, dock spaces are not first come first served - they are planned out well in advance.

I know that when I booked my next cruise it was 2 yrs out and when I checked at that time there were at most one ship in most of our ports - as time went on and other lines announced their schedules things changed and now in some ports there are 3 or 4 ships.

Typically in AK you will be docked - unless there are too many ships in port for the docks, or there are no docks - ie Sitka.

Something else to consider about booking flight seeing and "in demand" tours....

The early bookers have the option of choosing the most convenient (for them) tour time. Many of the vendors offer two or more tours a day, but if you want to make the maximum use of your time in port, some tour times work out better than others.

It's not only about "whether" a certain tour is available, but for me it's also about "when" it's available.

To ensure we always get our favorite tour operators we book a year in advance. For those tour operators that don't book that far out, I check in with them a year in advance and ask what time will they start accepting bookings and make the call when that time comes.

Edited by Italy52

We booked Island Wings last June for our May cruise, we booked Harv and Marv also in June, booked Chilkoot October. I certainly wouldn't wait too long to book (but that's just me!).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Alternatively, don't dismay. ;) I late book a lot of my Alaska trips, (weeks ahead) and have no problem getting the tours I want.

A tour to keep in mind that needs a booking right when it opens- is Anan. Ketchikan is pretty easy to get walk up Misty trips, and frankly, they have a pool of superb pilots, I've flown with many of them.

If you aren't fussy where you go, I've gotten walk up Skagway flights as well. I helicopter fly out of Juneau, so booked ahead.

With walk up ideas, it's essential, you get off your ship and to vendors, right after it clears. Get those reservations in place and don't waste your valuable port time.

Another thing to look at is how many ships are in port with you.

Ketchikan will have 5 other ships for a total of 6 - this will really put a strain on excursion vendors - book as early as you can. Also check out http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for alternate ideas.

Juneau - you will be one of two.

Skagway - you will also be one of two

Sitka - you will be by yourself.

This is as of now - I am sure that it will change as other lines announce their 2017 schedules.

Curious what site you used. I'm looking for July 2017 and three different sites didn't have that information yet. Or at least it wasn't current because RCI wasn't listed as being in port on the site that did have some info.

To ensure we always get our favorite tour operators we book a year in advance. For those tour operators that don't book that far out, I check in with them a year in advance and ask what time will they start accepting bookings and make the call when that time comes.

We do the same. Book a year ahead or at the end of the season for the next season.

Karen:

I hope you and Claudio are well. I see you have two B2B cruises in Alaska this year.

Have you ever been on the Star Princess? We are going North on Radiance and South on the Star in May. We've never been on Princess but I just had to see Glacier Bay and am really excited about it.

BTW, we retired early and moved to Florida last June. :)

Enjoy your trips.

Marla

Oh wow,thank you. Ok I best get onto it then. Is there anyway to tell if we will be tendered in Juneau?

I booked our May 26th cruise last year and only got the info that we are tendered in Juneau a couple of months ago.

We do the same. Book a year ahead or at the end of the season for the next season.

Karen:

I hope you and Claudio are well. I see you have two B2B cruises in Alaska this year.

Have you ever been on the Star Princess? We are going North on Radiance and South on the Star in May. We've never been on Princess but I just had to see Glacier Bay and am really excited about it.

BTW, we retired early and moved to Florida last June. :)

Enjoy your trips.

Marla

Marla, nice to hear from you. Claudio and I are doing well --- he is still working; we moved back to California in 2010. Jealous that you and Brian have retired. Maybe Claudio will in a few years.

We are cruising on the Radiance B2B in June of this year and the Star Princess B2B in 2017. Have never been on the Star. We are looking forward to returning to Glacier Bay; it has been quite a few years since we have been there.

Let me know what you think of the Star when you return.

Have a wonderful time on your cruises.

Curious what site you used. I'm looking for July 2017 and three different sites didn't have that information yet. Or at least it wasn't current because RCI wasn't listed as being in port on the site that did have some info.

Well I found that ship and cruises on cruisetimetables.com

It will be doing a standard RT Seattle visiting Juneau and Skagway, Tracy Arm and Victoria BC. - no Ketchikan.

Is that what you were expecting?