Getaway dress codes for dinner

skoeper

This will be our first Norwegian cruise ever, and we set sail in one week. I've started packing, and I can't tell you how conflicted I feel! lol.

We are used to formal nights and certain dress codes on past cruises, but it seems that NCL is "freestyle" dining (except for LeBistro and Ocean Blue). Do people REALLY wear their daytime clothes like shorts and capris to dinner in the other restaurants?

It would be great if they did, less to pack, but I want to make sure before I finally close and zip my suitcase next Friday. What do YOU wear in the MDR and specialty restaurants that don't require long pants, etc.??

We just got of the Getaway last Sunday. Most people wear cruise dressy wear such as sun dresses, dressy slacks or capris. My husband wore nice slacks and collared shirts. He did not wear the suit he brought along.

Most couples looked nice, but I never saw anyone in formal wear. Hope this helps.

I wear nice shirts and a collared shirt with closed toe shoes and have never felt out of place. Have not and do not plan on going to Ocean Blue or La bistro when on norwegian

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are just as freestyle as anywhere else. They just have a slightly stricter dress code, which is not much more than no shorts.

As for what people wear, it really is almost anything. Personally, if I'm going to a restaurant then I have a collared shirt and King trousers, which seems to be the same as the majority.

In the MDR it is not unusual to see shorts and t shirts, whilst those are rarer in the speciality restaurants. There is absolutely no requirement to dress up more than I do, even in Le Bistro.

Neither me nor my husband have ever worn shorts in an evening but we have seen people who did so.

I have never worn a dress in an evening nor has my husband ever worn a suit or even a tie. We have seen people who did so.

Freestyle is really up to you. For us, we like to wear what we are comfortable wearing and for both of us that is a pair of slacks and a top with shoes. We eat in all restaurants and have never had a problem anywhere dressed this way.

Yes, people wear shorts and capris. When you ask if they wear their daytime clothes, I'm not sure what that means. I've never seen anyone in the MDR looking like they just came from a long day at the pool. People are clean and put together, albeit casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You must be real fun at parties. With one liners like that, your comedic prowess screams "good times ahead when you enter the room"[emoji90]

Stop thinking. It only hurts the team.

Edited by luddite

We are used to formal nights and certain dress codes on past cruises, but it seems that NCL is "freestyle" dining (except for LeBistro and Ocean Blue). Do people REALLY wear their daytime clothes like shorts and capris to dinner in the other restaurants?

It would be great if they did, less to pack, but I want to make sure before I finally close and zip my suitcase next Friday. What do YOU wear in the MDR and specialty restaurants that don't require long pants, etc.??

I usually wear capris and a short-sleeved shirt, but sometimes shorts. My DH and DS wear t-shirts and shorts. I did get get my son to wear long pants and a polo on Norwegian Night Out. I wore long pants that night. DH still wore shorts and t-shirt. That is the great thing about NCL - wear what you like! The ONLY restaurants on Getaway that have anything other than a cruise casual dress code are Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. There long pants and collared shirt for men are required. For women, it seems anything other than shorts would be acceptable in Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Yes, some people do dress up. If you want to, great, if you don't, it isn't required.

You all mention wearing shoes. What about a pair of jeans, button up shirt and sandals? We're extremely light packers. Our carry on's hold our fins, goggles, snorkel and we don't check a bag. No room for shoes. Would I feel out of place with sandals at dinner?

I think most people wear sandals. Aren't those a type of shoes?

Resort casual is fine. No bathing suits or gym shorts. Otherwise shorts are fine. Tommy Bahama button shirts / polos fine. capris on women are fine. Most people on NCL dress like they are going out to a beach side restaurant. Casual but clean and nice.

I brought two pairs of khakis on Escape this March and it worked perfect in every dining room and specialty restaurant. Something about the tropics, I just can't wear jeans. Many guys were wearing shorts though in the MDRs.

I had to yell at my kids (not really) for just wearing their swimsuits into the buffet with no shirts or coverups when they went to get ice cream cones. lol. But I was like, have some consideration.

You all mention wearing shoes. What about a pair of jeans, button up shirt and sandals? We're extremely light packers. Our carry on's hold our fins, goggles, snorkel and we don't check a bag. No room for shoes. Would I feel out of place with sandals at dinner?

Sandals are fine, but not flip-flops.