Clothing for Baltic Cruise in Early May

We are traveling on a Baltic cruise departing from Copenhagen May 1 this year. Does anyone who has done this cruise at this time of year have any suggestions on how heavy of a winter coat to bring? I know that daily temperatures are forecasted to range from highs in the low to mid 50s and lows in the 30s. I know it will be colder on the water and with the shipping moving and I want to be able to enjoy our balcony and see the scenery without freezing! I am packing sweaters and can't decide if a mid-range winter coat is adequate or if I should pack a heavy winter coat (we live where winters are cold so we do already own heavy coats). I am bringing a raincoat for rainy days that we are in port. I would so appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone has to offer on coats or other attire. Thank you so very much! :)

It is hard to answer your question. It could be warm or it could be cold. Yesterday here in Scotland was beautiful and sunny but the wind came from the Arctic. We had snow flurries at one point. I would take several layers but maybe not the heavy winter coat. Hopefully you will get a heatwave. :)

I have a very light-weight down jacket that I take to Europe for late fall and early spring (bought it in Russia, BTW) - it takes-up very little space in my suitcase. It came in handy last November as it was very chilly in Poland.

I also bring rain gear (gortex rain coat, travel umbrella). Other than that, I pack just the usual that I would wear in the states for May (for US Northern climates).

You may experience anything from lovely, sunny, warm days to cool/chilly, cloudy/rainy/windy days. Layers are your best bet.

Edited by dogs4fun

Layering is the answer! We cruised mid May and made the mistake of packing for the 40's and 50's, the reality was a heat wave in the 80's. Do bring a light weight jacket, rain wear, and layers. Wearing a long sleeve turtle neck on an eighty degree day was no fun!:(

I have a very light-weight down jacket that I take to Europe for late fall and early spring (bought it in Russia, BTW) - it takes-up very little space in my suitcase.

Outstanding suggestion. These ultra-light jackets are available at most outdoor/adventure stores like LL Bean, REI, Eastern Mountain, and North Face. They're not necessarily cheap, but they'll probably become your go-to jacket for most of the year.

Don't forget to bring a hat, scarf, and gloves. These don't take up much packing space and really improve your comfort level.

Here are some models to check out online. The first four have at least 800-fill down rating which means more warmth for less bulk and weight.

LL Bean: Ultra-light 850

North Face Quince Down Jacket

Patagonia Down Sweater

Columbia's Compactor Down Jacket

REI Co-Op Brand Down Jacket

Columbia's Mighty Lite jacket is the same type of jacket but using high-tech insulation rather than down for a somewhat lower cost.