First and possibly last cruise.... Help make it the best??

Hey people!

My mother has a degenerative eye disease, she is young, only 55, but is slowly loosing her eye sight. She doesn't treat herself, and she has a lot of things on her "bucket list" she wants to cross off, so I am taking her on a cruise before she can't see the world anymore. Anyhow, my guess is that unless I am the one that takes her on an additional cruise, this will be her first and last one. I chose the 6 night cruise on 1/29/17 on Freedom of the Seas, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale FL through western caribbean. It's stopping georgetown, cozumel, and puerto costa maya.

I got us a Junior Suite, and the Ultimate Beverage packages. I want her first (and probably last) cruise to be the best ever. Just for reference I am her 32 year old daughter, and it will just be the two of us.

My question is for seasoned cruisers, who have had very good expensive cruises, and have been on budgets and gone on bargain cruises as well...

I want my mom to have the best experience ever, since this will probably be her only cruise. What can I do to make that happen? Junior suite was the most $$ room I could afford. What sort of things should we do onboard? What things should we avoid and are time wasters? What are the best excursions for people who aren't that into swimming (but love laying in the sun)? My mom's only physical limitation is that she has no peripheral vision, but other than that she can keep up with anyone.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any feedback!

-Kay

Your mum is so lucky to have you, and to receive this wonderful gift!

In Cozumel there are some great beach clubs where she can lay out in the sun and enjoy some food and drinks. We went to playa mia which we booked through the ship, people on CC have also given very good reviews to Nachi Cocum which you would need to book privately. In Cozumel we also enjoyed the San Gervasio Mayan ruins.

Onboard, you might consider getting one of the specialty dining packages if they are offered. Basically you get 3 nights at a discounted rate, but the first night they pick the restaurant and time for you. You select the other ones once you get onboard. We did this on Oasis and it was great.

I hope you have a wonderful trip

While this may sound silly be sure to schedule time to just let her watch the ocean, sunsets and sunrises if possible. Those are some of the best memories I have of sailing and could be precious to our Mom especially losing her sight. I wish you both the best cruise ever.

What a nice gesture. Im sure that the two of you will have a wonderful time and give mum a chance to experience some of the Caribbean and Mexico.

The room choice is good a little extra space, but just lacking some of the minor perks. (Gold card, bottle of water etc.) good luck with the ultimate Beverage package, if you use it to its fullest you will both be walking or staggering about oblivious to the rest of the world anyway [emoji41].

Enjoy it and tick it off mums bucket list and look forward to the next challenge. Plenty of opportunity to laze in the sun. Check out day passes at stops usually in good hotels with lunch and use of all facilities, good beaches and pools.

The cruise itself it's a lifetime experience. If she likes wine, I would add the basic alcoholic beverage, so she can ask wine, beer, and sodas anytime anywhere.

On my first cruise with my mother, she declined any beverage package, cost as the main factor. On the second night she was regretting of it, so we purchased a package the next morning, and she was soooo happy...

Also room service is something that they really appreciate, show her the menu, and explain how it works. My mom always requests something from the room service menu, either strawberries with chocolate, tea, a sandwich, anything.

Edited by Pipo

The Love and Marriage game show is always fun, they do play it on the TV after it is done. The Quest is not to be missed. They always have musical shows and comedians. I am not big on things like belly flop contest and hairy legs contest, but lots of people love them. Just being on this trip with you, and like others have said to see the ocean, sunrise, sunset. Sit out on the balcony and talk. You are making some wonderful memories here, and your Mom is so lucky to have you.

Enjoy!

While at sea, go to the bow of the ship on the deck with the helipad. There is a little area where you are at the very tip at the front of the ship. I have stood there, watching the sea as the ship moves on and watching flying fish leap from the water and soar what seems like forever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Congrats on your first cruise! We will be back on freedom about two months before you, she's a great ship! I would definitely check out the specialty restaurants. With the ultimate beverage package you can enjoy some very good wines with dinner, and from what I'm hearing they have some great margaritas in Sabor.

In Costa Maya, I highly recommend Maya Chan Beach. $59pp, all-inclusive food and drinks. They only let a small number of people in each day so not crowded. It also includes transport to and from the port, you can head back as early or late as you want. They also give each party their own private area to sit and relax in. We've been before and are going back in December. Mark is the owner and usually the one who emails back to you, very friendly and willing to answer questions. I would definitely check out their website and take a look!

I know you said you weren't necessarily too keen on getting in the water, but if you decide to and have one day in grand Cayman, visit stingray city on a tour. It really is fun. We did a multi stop trip with Nativeway and had a great time. There are also a few other good, smaller companies just like them too that keep you from the cattle hearding that can happen with cruise line excursions.

I hope you and your mom have an amazing trip, and who knows, this may not be your last cruise it's addicting!

Thank you for being such a wonderful child! Your love for your mom and her love for you will win the day!

You made a good choice in Freedom of the Seas...

1. Ice Show - Do it once.... Do it twice. It is fabulous

2. Production Shows... Don't miss.

3. You will be in Cozumel. Take a taxi downtown to the Town Square ($8). You will find

restaurants where you can hang out, have "2 for one" cocktails, and watch the world

go by while munching on chips and salsa.

Many blessings to you!

They have Trivia each night that seems fun. It's in the schooner bar. Unfortunately we always seem to get there llate. We are going to try to work on making it in time. Battle of the sexes is fun to watch too. Don't miss the 70"'s party on the Royal Promenade.. sooo much fun...

We enjoy late dining so we can enjoy the pool after everyone already left to get ready for dinner.

As far as bars, I enjoy the bar where they play salsa and other Spanish music. They always have people dancing there.

Another option for ports is doing a private excursion. Mixture of sight seeing and beach

Edited by Nickymjw1
Update

How nice you are for doing this for your mom. I couldn't imagine going through something like that.

The cruise itself will be something you both will always remember. The nice room just makes it that much better. You'll love sitting out on the balcony breathing in the ocean air. People had good suggestions about adding a specialty restaurant to the cruise as well. They are always so nice.

I really enjoyed my time at Chankanaab in Cozumel. They have a beautiful beach, good food, tequila tasting, a zipline, trails to roam, a lagoon to view, crocodiles to see. You can also add in swimming with dolphins. But what I did, I swam with the sea lions. I will never forget. I got to play with this girl (her name is Carla) up close and personal.

<a href=69dff628-d7c4-41e5-a081-ecefa17b85b5.jpg

7 Mile Beach in Georgetown, Grand Cayman is a great place to spend the day (you can see it from where the ship is tendered). You can walk the beach and cool off in the warm water for hours. Plus there's great little bars/restaurants to get a drink/bite to eat when you're thirsty/hungry. It's one of our favorite places to go - even for land vacations!

In Grand Cayman, we went to the Turtle Farm. You see all these turtles & even get to hold some. It was very interesting & they have an area where you can snorkel in a pool if you want. There are turtles & fish in it & they have snorkeling gear available to use (no charge). If you don't want to snorkel, they have a nice sandy beach with loungers to sit on. We went snorkeling (my first time to cross off my bucket list) & didn't get a chance to see the bird aviary. I would do that again in a heartbeat.

I am sure you will have a great vacation, as already said do not miss the ice show, I really did not think I would like it that much but it is truly great, Freedom should also have a Broadway play on board, also do a specialty restaurant or two, love Giovanni's if you want to save some money do it at a reduced cost at lunch, Hope you have a great cruise

Edited by George C

Just as a tip for your cabin too - those long hallways of cabins and cabin numbers can be a little disconcerting to first time cruisers. I'd suggest bringing a door decoration or sign that will help her identify your cabin door when you're returning "home" after a wonderful day on the ship (removable tape that won't leave a mark).

I have hit the imaginary "Like Button" for Truluv's suggestion.

I am voting for Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. To me, it is more of a once in a lifetime experience than a day at the beach or the turtle farm. (Both of these are nice though.)

Do order room service breakfast and enjoy this on your balcony. (There will be cards in your cabin where you can check off what you want delivered and select a thirty minute time interval for delivery. They will call to let you know they are on the way. It is nice to give a $2 - $5 tip.) You will love the size of the Junior Suite with its walk in closet.

My votes are as follows:

Grand Cayman- boat tour to sting ray city (and most include some beach time or snorkeling, and lunch too).

Cozumel- a beach club for the day. We chose Nachi Cocom and really loved it. Quiet, beautiful, great food and drinks included.

Costa Maya- either stay on the ship or do a tour to the Mayan ruins. The beaches here aren't good.

This is so nice of you. In March my sister & I took our 80yo mom on a cruise in March (NCL Breakaway). Here's what I learned

• Don't try to do everything
  • Ask her what she would like to do prior to the cruise so you can have an idea of things to plan
  • Listen to her!! I can't stress this one enough. I had some preconceived notions on what to do and not to do and those went out the window.

I had bought adult coloring books & seriously she enjoyed sitting and coloring while we were by the pool. She would color a bit and then sit and look at the ocean.

There was a band we happened to hear one night and every night after that she just wanted to go back and listen to them so we did

The best suggestion I can give for making it a great cruise is to listen to her and don't push her to do things because sometimes sitting together on the balcony and looking out at the ocean together is the best thing ever.

I am agreeing with everyone else, just relax and enjoy your time together. Here are a few "don'ts":

1. Don't order eggs from room service. I don't know what that stuff is that they call eggs :eek:

2. Don't go to the port shopping seminars. A total waste of time. Spend that time doing trivia, watching the wake at the back of the boat... anything else.

3. Don't bother with the art auctions, unless you just want to see what they are offering. The art offered is, in my own artist opinion, questionable. I know! Some love their art and enjoy looking at it on their walls when they get home. Buy from a local (one of the islands).

4. Don't be afraid to ask for anything you want from a crew member. Chances are they can make it happen. ...Order two entrees, three deserts, add ice cream to your dessert.... just ask!

Embrace your time together - no matter what you are doing, you are making memories! I have two daughters around your age... I just love being around them and laughing. Sometimes, the biggest "uh-oh's" are the best memories!