Belkin Mini 5W 3-Outlet swivel travel charger

DJW8385

I contacted the Avantree people, and they tell me that this USB charger doesn't have surge protection. It's on Amazon US (http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Charger-CGPS-TR508-BLK-High-power-Adapters/dp/B01AGWX4CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461055058&sr=8-1&keywords=Avantree+power+tower) and Amazon UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XVBMFDK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JYKDL02CLV4Y) too.

It's not the cheapest, but if it's safe for cruising, that works for me! :)

Edited by lisiamc

I contacted the Avantree people, and they tell me that this USB charger doesn't have surge protection. It's on Amazon US (http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Charger-CGPS-TR508-BLK-High-power-Adapters/dp/B01AGWX4CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461055058&sr=8-1&keywords=Avantree+power+tower) and Amazon UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XVBMFDK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JYKDL02CLV4Y) too.

It's not the cheapest, but if it's safe for cruising, that works for me! :)

Thanks. Good to know, I'll add it to my list.

Search ebay for this 4 port USB power plug. The one I bought was shown as item number (281768494551). I paid $2.99 for mine and it works as advertised. It does not incorporate a surge protector so it's perfect for shipboard use plus it's small and easily packed.

While you're poking around in ebay I'd suggest that you get a mini extension cord too. The one I bought is 12" long form plug to plug. It was listed on ebay as item number (260913262350) and cost me $5.00. Often the power sockets on ships and many non US hotels are recessed into your rooms furniture and without this mini extension cord only a few things will fit (items with their own cables). You will [likely] need to bend off the ground on the male end of the cord as many ship and non US hotels that have 110 V outlets don't accept three prong US style plugs.

2.1A 4 Ports USB Portable Home Travel Wall Charger US Plug AC Power Adapter

12" Short Outlet Power Strip Extension Cable/Cord

It seems like cruise lines are going to need a coherent, easy-to-enforce policy for outlet strips and USB chargers. It's not realistic to think that people will leave their (increasingly large numbers of) gadgets at home, or not need to charge them. DH and I bring a laptop, two cameras, two phones, an iPad, and a Kindle on board. I know others bring even more stuff than that.

I just ordered a USB charger that I've been assured doesn't have a surge protector, but how will cruise line employees know that? It looks just like ones that could be a fire hazard. I don't know what the solution should be, but I think it's going to need sorting out soon!

We've been using a 5 port USB charger for years.

In the past few years when we started to replace our personal electronics, one of the considerations is how to recharge it. With iThings, phones, readers, and small cameras, we now have everything chargeable by USB except my laptop and DSLR battery charger.

Since everything does not need to be charged at the same time the two outlets in a cabin works out perfectly.

It seems like cruise lines are going to need a coherent, easy-to-enforce policy for outlet strips and USB chargers. It's not realistic to think that people will leave their (increasingly large numbers of) gadgets at home, or not need to charge them. DH and I bring a laptop, two cameras, two phones, an iPad, and a Kindle on board. I know others bring even more stuff than that.

I just ordered a USB charger that I've been assured doesn't have a surge protector, but how will cruise line employees know that? It looks just like ones that could be a fire hazard. I don't know what the solution should be, but I think it's going to need sorting out soon!

The easiest workaround for this is for cruise lines to either install a couple of quad USB charging receptacles next to the electrical outlets, or one of the block chargers Chengkp45 recommended in each Stateroom.

Problem solved.

Except cruise lines seem to be sticking their heads into the sand on this issue, just wanting it to go away, whilst poorly attempting to implement policies banning potentially dangerous items.

The amount of tech we need to charge is only going to increase over the years.

ex techie

02-quattro-usb-wall-outlet.jpg

Edited by Ex techie