Which Cruise Line??

njkate

my brother in law was in hal cruise, he said it is mostly older people and so i would say don't consider hal.

some people like carnival and some like rcl.

i think it is best if you ask ta, they probably will give you a better idea.

I specialize in Alaskan cruises and have been on board more than a dozen ships that sail to Alaska. (Yes I'm an online cruise agent, and no I won't disclose who I work for... and no I do not use these boards to secure clients; just here to read and post.)

Royal Caribbean and Princess are both excellent for passengers of all ages. Princess has the most extensive youth programs on board. Royal Caribbean appeals to a younger demographic, and rightly so: each of their ships features a rock climbing wall on the top deck. Princess has more felxible dining options.

Carnival has one ship sailing to Alaska, and it's... not my style, likewise with Norwegian only they have three ships that are... not my style.

Celebrity is a premium cruise line, currently holding title to 7 of the top 11 large ships in the water, worldwide. Their fleet is amazing, definitely my favorite of all the mainstream cruise lines but possibly a bit too classy for an 11 year old to fully appreciate.

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises is an excellent luxury line, but potentially out of the budget for the average family trip. (All-suite all balcony ship, starts at $3500 per person). Similar with Silver Seas, only there itineraries in Alaska start at $4500 per person.

Holland America passenger's average age world wide is 57 and with Alaska it's even higher. They have several classes of ships sailing the route. Their new Vista Class ships sailing to Alaska (Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam) appeal to a broader demographic due to the greater variety of passenger amenities on board in comparison to their smaller vessels.

Cruise West operates small "explorer type" friendly ships, but they are very pricey due to the exclusivity.

If I were you I'd use google to find a website with profiles and comparisons of the lines and ships so that you can make an informed decision. If it were me, I'd be looking towards Princess or Royal Caribbean.

As for a recommended itinerary etc... I wouldn't want to take all the fun out of planning this for you... ;) Good luck.

I specialize in Alaskan cruises and have been on board more than a dozen ships that sail to Alaska. (Yes I'm an online cruise agent, and no I won't disclose who I work for... and no I do not use these boards to secure clients; just here to read and post.)

Royal Caribbean and Princess are both excellent for passengers of all ages. Princess has the most extensive youth programs on board. Royal Caribbean appeals to a younger demographic, and rightly so: each of their ships features a rock climbing wall on the top deck. Princess has more felxible dining options.

Carnival has one ship sailing to Alaska, and it's... not my style, likewise with Norwegian only they have three ships that are... not my style.

Celebrity is a premium cruise line, currently holding title to 7 of the top 11 large ships in the water, worldwide. Their fleet is amazing, definitely my favorite of all the mainstream cruise lines but possibly a bit too classy for an 11 year old to fully appreciate.

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises is an excellent luxury line, but potentially out of the budget for the average family trip. (All-suite all balcony ship, starts at $3500 per person). Similar with Silver Seas, only there itineraries in Alaska start at $4500 per person.

Holland America passenger's average age world wide is 57 and with Alaska it's even higher. They have several classes of ships sailing the route. Their new Vista Class ships sailing to Alaska (Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam) appeal to a broader demographic due to the greater variety of passenger amenities on board in comparison to their smaller vessels.

Cruise West operates small "explorer type" friendly ships, but they are very pricey due to the exclusivity.

If I were you I'd use google to find a website with profiles and comparisons of the lines and ships so that you can make an informed decision. If it were me, I'd be looking towards Princess or Royal Caribbean.

As for a recommended itinerary etc... I wouldn't want to take all the fun out of planning this for you... ;) Good luck.

Just wanted to commend you on your great info. You are the first person I have seen on cruisecritic who was a TA that strives to give unbiased info-I hop you post more to questions asked-as you give such good info.

Very helpful information! Thank you!

Thanks.

I intend to post when I can, especially when the topics are of particular interest. However, I typically devote 45-60 hours a week to ensuring that my clients receive the elite level of service they deserve, so that tends to limit the amount of time I am able to dedicate to contributing on these boards.

To whoever reads this, enjoy your next cruise!

Archived