Gluten Free Pasta

Cruisegirl6

The person that needs to be on a gluten-free diet will need to let the special needs department know prior to sailing. That person will receive a menu each night for the next night to make their selections. I had a friend that did this last year and she did not remember any pasta but that doesn't mean they did not offer it.

just as an FYI if it is very important to that person they really need to let Carnival know ahead of time. They took excellent care of my friend last year and as her celiac is not nearly as bad as it was then she did not think she needed to let them know ahead of time on our cruise a couple weeks back. She ended up waiting for 45 minutes for gluten free bread in the MDR when they had a plate of it waiting for her each night last year. There were also a few other items that had been "safe" last year that didn't work so well for her this time as they were prepared a little differently. Just a heads up.

Do a search for 'gluten' and 'celiac'. Lots of threads pop up.

See the Maitre D at embarkation. The hostess will take the first night's order. At dinner the waiter or hostess will take the next day's MDR orders- breakfast/lunch, brunch, dinner. This system works well for both traditional and ATD.

Edited by SadieN

The special needs department will not work for me, my last cruise I have called them four months prior to my trip and again three weeks before leaving...we had anytime dining so it doesn't work for us, not once did anybody acknowledge the fact I put in a request for gluten free....it works well if your assigned a table but for anytime/my time dining, it didn't work at all only because we had different waiters perhaps?

The special needs department will not work for me, my last cruise I have called them four months prior to my trip and again three weeks before leaving...we had anytime dining so it doesn't work for us, not once did anybody acknowledge the fact I put in a request for gluten free....it works well if your assigned a table but for anytime/my time dining, it didn't work at all only because we had different waiters perhaps?

You still have to go visit the Maitre D' on the first day. They will put a note in your "profile" and every evening they will bring you the menu to pre-order for the following day. This works for YTD, too. I've done it.

They were fantastic with my daughter's Celiac. Do a search and you'll find several of my detailed reviews about our 2 cruises and what she ate (ALL was great, with no reactions).

You need to be proactive. See the maitre'd the first day, then ask your waiter or the maitre'd each night to take the next day's order.

No idea why it didn't work for ATD. We have other special food issues and never had an issue.

Order gets taken night before, at dinner the hostess gives your Special Request Slip to the waiters.

Some food issues are so common that there's no need to inform the cruise line ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you I will contact him/her when I get on the ship.

We have anytime dining so hopefully it won't be a problem this trip. We went to the dining room the first afternoon and the hostess took my husbands order for that night and didnt have any problems.

No problem. You make it clear you know what to eat or not. You know there are gluten free items all over the ship, so why would they be not in the DR if you asked? Different waiters has nothing to do with it. It's not up to the waiter to say hey, here's the gluten free lady! You must say so and already have that order placed the night before.

I noticed in the MDR they serve pasta dishes, does anybody know whether a person that needs to be gluten free can get gluten free pasta?

I cannot speak about Carnival but I would suspect that they do. My wife has a gluten sensitivity. On every other cruise line we've sailed, access to gluten free pasta was never a problem. It just may take a bit longer at the buffet line as the GF pasta is usually not parboiled as they do with regular pasta which is just heat and serve.

RuthlessBob, yes, I know all about the items that are gluten free, but I would like to have dessert after dinner and on the buffet there never is any gluten free dessert but jello if you call that dessert. :cool:

You sure twist subjects. You were talking pasta in the MDR, not desserts at the buffet. I doubt you leave the MDR to go to the buffet and hunt for a dessert:eek: