kUMMELWERTH SANDWICH

Just got off the Freedom last week they had a guy in the windjammer on the last sea day cutting them... I was so excited to try because of all the hype. It was kind of a FLOP for me the roast beef was very dry. The Bread was very good. Maybe it's better on the other ships it's usually served on.

I love those roast beef sandwiches. I eat them plain though. No mustard on them. Just roast beef, alittle au jus and the kimmelweck roll. When we cruise on The Anthem in a few months we will have them for lunch.

I love those roast beef sandwiches. I eat them plain though. No mustard on them. Just roast beef, alittle au jus and the kimmelweck roll. When we cruise on The Anthem in a few months we will have them for lunch.

I was unable to find the au jus on Vision last month. All they had was this thick gravy, which did not appeal to me, so I went plain. Still pretty good.

We were on the Allure in Feb. and what a disappointment !

We had been looking forward to those beef on wecks for weeks (play on words intended).

Instead of the yummy au jus that they usually serve, they had some nasty gravy. It was horrible.

Bring back the au jus !

I was unable to find the au jus on Vision last month. All they had was this thick gravy, which did not appeal to me, so I went plain. Still pretty good.

Precisely what I encountered as well. With the following this sandwich has, you'd think that they could have a similar presentation across the fleet (when it is offered on other ships). I have not run across a bad one (IMO) yet on either the Oasis or Allure - and probably had them for lunch 7-8 days !!

For me, there's no such thing as "too much" fat. Add to that the au jus (not gravy), mustard, and a nice big dollop of horseradish, and you've (well, I'VE!) got bliss !! :D

Tom

We just got off Freedom on Sunday and yes it was offered in front of the bar that is at the entrance to the Windjammer on the last day during lunch. So yummy. I can't wait for our Oasis cruise.

In March it was the best I've had outside of Oasis or Allure. Enchantment is just awful. We did a 4 day Brilliance and all they did was pork and Turkey. Yea, it was thanksgiving.

Precisely what I encountered as well. With the following this sandwich has, you'd think that they could have a similar presentation across the fleet (when it is offered on other ships). I have not run across a bad one (IMO) yet on either the Oasis or Allure - and probably had them for lunch 7-8 days !!

For me, there's no such thing as "too much" fat. Add to that the au jus (not gravy), mustard, and a nice big dollop of horseradish, and you've (well, I'VE!) got bliss !! :D

Tom

Just horseradish, scrape off excess seeds, two slices rare meat, heaven.

Hard to find rare anymore. Best chance on Oasis

On Oasis the server that was making them didn't look up or speak he just automatically assembled them and each one got a ladle full of some thick brown gravy. The gravy went directly on the bun followed by the meat then the top of the bun.

Just horseradish, scrape off excess seeds, two slices rare meat, heaven.

Hard to find rare anymore. Best chance on Oasis

Apparently there's many ways to reach heaven ! :)

I agree regarding the rare issue -- too many are "scared" of rare.

Tom

On Oasis the server that was making them didn't look up or speak he just automatically assembled them and each one got a ladle full of some thick brown gravy. The gravy went directly on the bun followed by the meat then the top of the bun.

Yuck.

Schwabl's in West Seneca or The Beef n Barrel in Olean were my weck meccas.

I feel a road trip to Buffalo coming on!!!:D

We came across it on our Splendour cruise a few years ago. I had heard about it on these boards, so was curious. It was incredibly delicious - tender, yummy. Went back the next day and they had the pork version - not as good. I think the problem is that all of the hype gets people expecting something that a lowly roast beef sandwich can never be! We liked it though, and will search it out on Harmony this summer.:)

I feel a road trip to Buffalo coming on!!!:D

I'm en route .... please stop and pick me up. I will be the standing on the QEW holding the sign "BEEF ON WECK OR BUST"

:D

I hope the gravy is not the norm now. I like the au jus on the rarest slices they can find. hold the mustard and the horseradish.

Apparently there's many ways to reach heaven ! :)

I agree regarding the rare issue -- too many are "scared" of rare.

Tom

Enchantment cook/chef said the health department demands they serve well done. Only allow rare in WJ. And I've never seen rare in WJ. :(

I even saw them stick one in microwave once. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

Thanks to all who replied to my query about the sandwich. I guess I will have to wait till Sept. when on the ALLURE to try the sandwich.

george35

You may not have to wait. Ask at Cafe Promenade on Freedom, you may find that they have it for a short time some days. Please let us know.

Enchantment cook/chef said the health department demands they serve well done. Only allow rare in WJ. And I've never seen rare in WJ. :(

I even saw them stick one in microwave once. :eek:

As with most "information" received from crew, this is not quite right. Undercooked beef may be served by USPH regulations, provided there is a menu notice or placard at the serving station warning of the dangers of eating this product, just like many restaurants do.

As with most "information" received from crew, this is not quite right. Undercooked beef may be served by USPH regulations, provided there is a menu notice or placard at the serving station warning of the dangers of eating this product, just like many restaurants do.

That makes sense. I've also heard more people prefer well done. That's wrong in my book. Use the microwave for that crowd.