Elite - Laundry question

Bruce62

After MANY issues with Princess laundry service, I STRONGLY recommend against sending out anything that is delicate or expensive. We use it for items that they cannot really damage and it has been a really LONG time since we've had it back in 24 hrs...

I agree. One time, DW failed to separate her favorite formal wear as dry clean only. It shrank. It took her a while to move on after.

We have had many problems with the laundry shrinking items over the years & have given up on using it but we do use the dry cleaning every so often on longer cruises & have yet to have a problem with it. If you intend to have items cleaned just use the dry cleaning service.

Unfortunately the washing service will damage it sooner or later.

I've all but given up on their laundry service. To many articles of mine have been damaged over the years to trust them any longer.

Occasionally I'll send in some older things when I'm to tired to wash them myself but usually regret it later on.

Over our many years of cruising Princess has only damaged 2 items. One was my capris that the button was torn off of and my husbands shirt had some snags in it when it came back. They were not items that i was devastated about but it did remind us not to place one of a kind items in the bags. Princess did compensate us nicely for the damaged things.

We now only put items in the laundry bags that we do not have to worry about like socks and older t shirts etc since they are washed in HOT water and then dried to death. We do put dress shirts and slacks in the "dry cleaning bags" as well.

We always separate the items into a laundry bag and dry cleaning bag to make it easier for the laundry staff.

We have had many problems with the laundry shrinking items over the years & have given up on using it .

I've all but given up on their laundry service. To many articles of mine have been damaged over the years to trust them any longer.

I do my own smalls, and on occasion sent some shirts etc, which all have been perfect upon return.

sad to hear about your issues, what reaction did you get when you brought it to their attention ?

was it sorted ?

I do my own smalls, and on occasion sent some shirts etc, which all have been perfect upon return.

sad to hear about your issues, what reaction did you get when you brought it to their attention ?

was it sorted ?

I never said a word since it was a T shirts & Polo and socks another time. I just learned my lesson & quit using "washing"....only "cleaning" from now on for everything.

The wife also once sent in a sequined shirt & when returned had 1/3 of the sequins removed.

Sometimes even free isn't worth it. ;)

I never said a word since it was a T shirts & Polo and socks another time. I just learned my lesson & quit using "washing"....only "cleaning" from now on for everything.

The wife also once sent in a sequined shirt & when returned had 1/3 of the sequins removed.

Sometimes even free isn't worth it. ;)

We too have had problems with shrinking when dry cleaning only was requested and also sequin tops. Like you I just don't send those items anymore. Also, was told by room steward that dry cleaning was no longer available which makes me think that the shrinkage is because of being tossed in the washer and dryer as I have never had anything I ever sent to a dry cleaner at home shrink. But it's still a great perk and as others mentioned you soon discover what to put into the laundry and what not to send.

*Always* send polo shirts as "golf shirts" on the "cleaning" side of the ticket - they get finished differently and they *really* do a nice job - they absolutely worked on the collar of one of my DH's shirts because it *never* laid right before I sent it in.

I haven't had shrinkage problems; the only issues I've encountered were a stray pen mark on a shirt (fixed the next day) and a pair of linen pants where they may have been a bit aggressive on some stain removal, or some other item's stain removal came up against them. The issue was resolved to my satisfaction after inspection by the laundry master.

We too have had problems with shrinking when dry cleaning only was requested and also sequin tops. Like you I just don't send those items anymore. Also, was told by room steward that dry cleaning was no longer available which makes me think that the shrinkage is because of being tossed in the washer and dryer as I have never had anything I ever sent to a dry cleaner at home shrink. But it's still a great perk and as others mentioned you soon discover what to put into the laundry and what not to send.

Hmmm ...new to elite, am not sure what a great perk it is if they ruin my clothes. Do they tell us which items they will ruin?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

First of all . They don't do dry cleaning . They do wash, dry ,press and fold.

They use hot water only . Multiple cabins are done at the same time. Item that will shrink in Hot Water shouldn't be set to be done.

When we did the behind the scene tour . They showed us the washer and dryer . Each bag is put into a separate bag for washing in hot water.

Edited by Kamloops50

I guess we should of paid attention and asked questions when we toured the laundry.

I'm getting mixed signals on the thread regarding dry cleaning, from there is, there is not, to there is an alternative type of dry cleaning service. Is there a consensus of what the process is?

I know compensation cannot replace certain favorite items but what type of remedies have you received from Princess for ruined items?

I know compensation cannot replace certain favorite items but what type of remedies have you received from Princess for ruined items?

The form that is filled out and accompanies every laundry submission limits Princess liability to ten times the cost of the service. So if it costs $2.75 to have an item washed, it's $27.50. In the case of the nearly new t-shirt in my first pic (above), I paid more than that for the shirt. However, it more than covered the original cost of my husband's lost socks (socks were returned to him, but they were from a small girl).

I think the larger issue is losing use of the clothing (we cruise for long periods of time) and the fact that, on some ships, we are required to file a claim with Princess upon our return home. They won't reimburse on the ship. I don't know why that is handled differently between ships.

Then there are the unclaimable losses, like elastic that, over the course of repeated launderings, is stretched out. I am not going to go down to some young guy at the PSD with a pair of my underwear and show him that the elastic is shot.

I guess we should of paid attention and asked questions when we toured the laundry.

I'm getting mixed signals on the thread regarding dry cleaning, from there is, there is not, to there is an alternative type of dry cleaning service. Is there a consensus of what the process is?

I received $50.00 in SBC for 2 tee shirts and some underwear that came back with all little holes in them.

Tony

The ripped buttons on my capris was quite awhile ago and they just filled out the paperwork at CS and i received a check for $35 shortly after we returned home. For the brand new shirt that was damaged: they started the paperwork process on board and when i returned home i sent them the receipt and they paid me the full price. I think it was about $50 and no other questions asked.

I still have my laundry done on the cruise but i make sure it is not something that cost a fortune. They have always taken care of me if there are any problems.

As far as dry cleaning: it is now just called cleaning. Not sure what exactly they do but our stuff comes but clean and not shrunk etc. We put slacks, dress shirts etc into this category.

My DW doesn't send the following to the ship's laundry delicate tops & lingerie . I send everything to the ships laundry . The shirts and vests come back pressed and on hangers.

Noticed that you are doing the PC in a couple of days. We just did this trip and it was great. But get ready for HOT, HOT HOT and HUMID, HUMID HUMID days.:eek::eek:

While I have had little to complain about re the laundry and dry-cleaning there is no question that the process plays havoc with any garment that has a bit of spandex in it. I suspect the heat melts the spandex and leaves the little holes...but in my case I buy cheap underwear and nobody sees the little holes but me if I look close. I did have a pair of shorts come back once with the tab of the zipper missing, however I didn't see it until after we had left the ship and frankly they were getting old and they now are good shorts to wear while gardening. So a few holes in underwear IMO is a fair trade for the amount of free laundry we have enjoyed.:)

Also note that items that have any food stains should be pretreated with something you bring from home otherwise they'll still be there when you get the item back.

Excellent point, we always travel with a small bottle of the heavy duty Shout (the blue bottle) as food from 2 tables away can find my white shirt.;)