Parking Options for NY

Does anyone know of a decent hotel in NY that lets you leave your car for the week? I've heard the hotels are more reasonable the further away from Manhattan you go, but we don't want to be too far away from the port and have to pay a fortune for a taxi ride to the port. Is it better to find a hotel we can leave the car at and take a taxi/car service to the port, or just park at the port? The parking rates for the NY port are quite expensive compared to others, but there appears to be a few options near the port that are more affordable. Suggestions?

Not in NYC there aren't any, unless you want to pay the daily parking rate of $40-$60 or more. Real Estate is just too expensive for this.

although maybe in Staten Island, or in New Jersey.

The pier parking in Manhattan is actually one of the cheaper rates in the city for parking.

There are many threads on this board that discuss your very question.

Edited by Nitemare

Does anyone know of a decent hotel in NY that lets you leave your car for the week? I've heard the hotels are more reasonable the further away from Manhattan you go, but we don't want to be too far away from the port and have to pay a fortune for a taxi ride to the port. Is it better to find a hotel we can leave the car at and take a taxi/car service to the port, or just park at the port? The parking rates for the NY port are quite expensive compared to others, but there appears to be a few options near the port that are more affordable. Suggestions?

I'm assuming you are sailing from Manhattan.

Look at the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield, NJ for a park/cruise package which includes round trip port transportation and parking.

What are your exact dates? Budget? Do you plan to spend several days in NYC before your cruise? There are options, but a Manhattan park/cruise hotel is not one of them.

Given the demand for NYC hotels, and the limited parking, it wouldn't make sense to "give away" parking when they can make more buy charging for it. You will find some hotels in the NJ area that may offer free parking for your cruise however very few of them include transportation. I think it make sense to stay in NJ and take a cab for two people, however if you have more than two in a vehicle I think parking at the pier is less of a hassle and less expensive versus taking a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short answer, forget-about-it in NYC, especially New York County or Manhattan - outer boroughs, yes - for a fee and by OP's defined requirements, out of the question.

The current parking rate in midtown Manhattan for a 4 door sedan is about $50 USD with the 18.375% tax rates, excluding surcharges for SUV, minivan & over-size/over-height/over-weight/over-length vehicle (depending on specific garage system's own definitions) ... some charging extra for covered/indoor space vs. outside/open air (not kidding, it's for real) - and, this isn't necessary for a full 24 hour period - just a "day" rate or "overnight" rate, not both ... sometimes.

Drive into the NY area, park the vehicle, lock it up & put the keys away - use mass transit to get around (or, take a car service or taxi to get around if mobility is an issue, it's cheaper than looking for & paying for off-street parking, metered parking is really out of the question except for the evenings & on Sundays for most visitors, except the seasoned ones who can figure out all the parking signs & rules & not get the vehicle towed (will cost you easily $500 to claim it back at the DOT tow pound ... actuallly, not far from the cruise terminal, LOL)

My parents are coming from your neck of the woods (Ingersoll) and they're driving six hours to Albany Saturday afternoon, getting a hotel, then taking the Yankee Trails Cruise Express charter bus to Manhattan on Sunday morning: Free parking at the bus company for the week, luggage is taken from the bus directly to the ship, and they don't have to drive in NYC or pay the tolls to get there. The bus returns to Albany around 3 p.m. when the cruise is done and they'll drive straight back from there.

It's $90 USD per person (round-trip) so if you have a large group it may be more economical to drive the full distance. It also leaves no sightseeing time in NYC if that's important to your group.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I appreciate the suggestions and will research them. The NY cruise is one of a few we are considering doing in 2017and the other 2 are out of Florida which we're used to. I just need to figure out if the extra transportation hassle and expense are worth it to sail out of NY. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
Have you stayed at the Hilton Ridgefield for a cruise? If so, what would the approximate fee be for transportation for 4 to the Manhattan cruise port? Thanks.

I responded to this question on another thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369181&page=2

You have to contact the hotel. They will quote you a price for 4 people. I believe that it is a little over $300 for everything - hotel, parking, and round trip port transportation. The rate changes depending on the number of people.