Text message regarding Boarding Saturday

We board the Independence of the seas on Satirday. Tonight I received text outlining times to check in depending on what deck you're on. Do they always do this to discourage people coming early or is this an odd occasion? I saw that they had a medical emergency today and had a delay due to that. Not sure what to think. They even want you to confirm receipt of the text. We currently have a ride scheduled at 10:00 from our hotel. Have any of you ever seen this before?

We board the Independence of the seas on Satirday. Tonight I received text outlining times to check in depending on what deck you're on. Do they always do this to discourage people coming early or is this an odd occasion? I saw that they had a medical emergency today and had a delay due to that. Not sure what to think. They even want you to confirm receipt of the text. We currently have a ride scheduled at 10:00 from our hotel. Have any of you ever seen this before?

Happens occasionally, and the suggested times are not enforced out of US ports.

Enforcement is in effect. Using Carnival out of Galveston, for example, show up before your check in time and you are turned away.

It was an experiment, but now it is procedure. and it has spread to other ports and cruiselines.

Enforcement is in effect. Using Carnival out of Galveston, for example, show up before your check in time and you are turned away.

It was an experiment, but now it is procedure. and it has spread to other ports and cruiselines.

I cannot recall any reports of enforcement at US ports by Royal Caribbean.

Bob is correct (as usual). This is not enforced at North American ports on Royal. It is, at best, a suggestion. Especially at Port Everglades.

But do confirm receipt of the text ! Otherwise you keep getting them plus even recorded phone calls and emails.

I experienced the check-in time restriction on Carnival in 2014 out of Galveston. RCCL sends these messages out all the time, but I've yet to experience, or hear a report, of any who were delayed due to a check-in time.

FWIW, at Galveston Carnival has 10-15 stations to check-in. RCCL has 30-40 stations to check-in. That makes a big difference, regardless of the size of the ship.

Enforcement is in effect. Using Carnival out of Galveston, for example, show up before your check in time and you are turned away..... It was an experiment, but now it is procedure. and it has spread to other ports and cruiselines.

OP is cruising RCI - this is the RCI board. What you describe for Carnival is not the case for Royal.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Thanks everyone. I don't know what FWIW is in the post about Galveston. So the next question is should we proceed with our plan to arrive around 10:30 or wait until closer to 2:00 pm as they requested?

FWIW means "for what it's worth".

And no. Show up at 10:30 as you originally planned. Seriously - there is no issue. Enjoy your cruise!

Happens occasionally, and the suggested times are not enforced out of US ports.

actually that is nolonger true. a few ports are indeed enforcing times so unless you are in a suite or are Pinnacle you do run the risk of being denied until the time listed on your email

actually that is nolonger true. a few ports are indeed enforcing times so unless you are in a suite or are Pinnacle you do run the risk of being denied until the time listed on your email

Maybe I've missed it, but I'd like to know which US ports are enforcing suggested check-in times by Royal Caribbean.

Also, just to clarify, I don't mean the arrival time appointments for Anthem.

Maybe I've missed it, but I'd like to know which US ports are enforcing suggested check-in times by Royal Caribbean...

I'd like to know as well. People say things like this and then don't follow up on it or give examples. To this day I have not read of any enforcement in US ports.

I have not heard or read of any reports of specific check in times at the US Ports. There is usually just a general boarding time of noon or 1:00 for arrival time. Never could figure out when the check in time is noon, and they are scheduled to leave at 4:00, when you need to be on board at least 90 minutes before, if not before. That leaves 2.5 hours to get everyone onto the ship!! I don't see that ever happening!! LOL! :D

We got a similar text before boarding Independence in early March. From these boards it appears this is happening on a lot of Independence cruises. We ignored it, did not confirm getting it (or the 3-4 we got after) and showed up at 11am. We were on board in the Windjammer by 11:30.

Based on reports here, I think you just have to be prepared that if dembarkation is slow, you could have to wait in the terminal a bit to board. I wouldn't change your plans at all.

So far I haven't experienced any firm port arrival times for RCCL. I've experienced it on Disney where you can't board before your # time, but nothing so far on RCCL.

They send the texts and emails pretty frequently. I have had them for almost all of my recent Port Everglades and Miami departures as well as Port Canaveral. They meant nothing.

And not even the Anthem times meant anything when I was at Cape Liberty. At least not on my boarding day.

I received the same text.

One concern is that our group is on deferent decks and not the same C&A status. Boarding according to rank and deck would involve some sitting for 3 hours waiting to board.

Btw....I have not responded and have received no further text about boarding times. Did receive one for the Zika concerns.

Happy cruising!

We got the Zika text for Sunday's cruise, but nothing about arrival times. We plan to get there early so I can get to the Excursion desk asap. I fooled around and failed to reserve a ship excursion that has been sold out for about 1 week. Hoping to get on a waiting list.

• 4 months later...
Any update on enforcement on RCI of recommended boarding times? I did a search, but see nothing from the past couple of months. We are leaving out of San Juan. Thank you.

No reported enforcement of suggested boarding times out of US ports.