Anyone rented a wheelchair on the ship?

Yazoo cruiser

My wife just tore the miniscus in her knee and we leave on the Dream May 8th. If we rent a scooter or wheelchair, can it be taken off the ship in port? Do they have to be in the room at night and if they do, is it very hard to get in and out through the doorway. Any other information anyone has about this would be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

My wife just tore the miniscus in her knee and we leave on the Dream May 8th. If we rent a scooter or wheelchair, can it be taken off the ship in port? Do they have to be in the room at night and if they do, is it very hard to get in and out through the doorway. Any other information anyone has about this would be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

You will need to rent through http://www.carevacations.com or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com, It will be waiting for her in the cabin. You can take them off the ship. Please dont store it in the hallway though. Its a hazard and can make it very difficult for others in chairs and scooters to navigate the halls especially when cleaning carts or suitcases are out there too. I think most scooters will fit through a regular cabin door. The wheelchair will have to be folded up though

Ive always heard wonderful things about both companies. I would pick the one with the best price and reserve it pronto!

Edited by ryano

We have rented a scooter for my dad on both the trips he has taken with us from specialneedsatsea, the scooter was sitting there in the room once we could get in. Prior to that once we got to the terminal we flagged down someone who helped him get a wheelchair and then took us through security, getting our id cards, etc and got him on the ship. Once on he was good to walk a little and sat outside by the pool until the room was ready.

For the Room - My parents always get a OS or GS so having the scooter in the room was not a problem. We have seen people leave theirs out overnight (take the key) but remember those halls are very narrow and others then have a little harder time to squeeze by when it is to there.

For the Ports - He had no problems taking it into PORT, I know he got off the ship at several locations and he never went very far. He did go on one shore excursion with us and again we asked for a courtesy chair and they even allowed us to take it on the bus with us even though we thought they would not.

Navigation - okay this is fun, it was a little comical watching him (he is 6ft 4) trying to back that thing out of the room or the elevators, and we never had rude people that cut in front when he was trying to get on one. Now I always also try to get their room close to the mid section elevators so there are more of them and they seem to be larger. In the dining room they would try to get us a table (we had anytime dining) near the front so he could park his scooter near and not have a long walk to the table.

Everyone was very friendly and we never encountered anyone who was mean about him needing one. Both times we were on the Breeze so that also will make a difference on how easy it is to navigate too :)

Edited by cruisecraze96

NO, NO, NO. Please do NOT leave scooters/wheelchairs in the hallways at night! This is in violation of safety regulations (SOLAS), not a Carnival "rule." Scooters/wheelchairs must fit through the doorway of the cabin.

You will need to check with the supplier to determine the width of the scooter you are renting. They will need to be 21" or less to fit through the doorway of a regular cabin, or you will need a handicapped or modified cabin.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

Wheelchairs can be rented at guest services and you can take them off the ship. You will also be billed a deposit that will be refunded when you give the wheel chair back.

I wouldn't count on this ... (from the Carnival website)

If you require the regular use of a wheelchair during the cruise, you would need to bring your own or rent one from a service provider. Please see below for some reputable wheelchair companies:

CareVacations - Phone: 1.877.478.7827

Special Needs at Sea 1.800.513.4515

From what I understand, they have a few wheelchairs on the ship that are primarily used if someone has an injury or illness while at sea and needs to use it, not for persons who are planning to use them.

Edited by Schoifmom

We have used http://www.specialneedsatsea.com on at least 5 cruises and they have been great. Yes you can take them off the ship in the ports. Yes they need to be in the cabin at night. They have 3 size's of the Scooters. The largest will not fit unless you have a Handy Cap Cabin that holds up to 500lbs. The other 2 will fit they hold up to 249lbs and 349lbs.

My sister refused to get a wheelchair or scooter before the cruise, despite my insistence that she would need it. She found out she did need it after 2 days on the ship, luckily she was able to rent a wheelchair on the ship, but as others said I wouldn't count on it. A 90 year old, that was traveling with us, did rent a scooter & it made his experience so much better! I want one, those are some long walks on the ship!