My experience at Share

Cruiserkenn

We ate at Share 3 times while sailing on the Ruby in February and March. It is more expensive than the other specialty restaurants onboard but is less than what a comparable meal by a star-chef would cost on land. Yes, the restaurant can get noisy with all of the hard surfaces. We can't speak about the chairs but the banquettes were very comfortable. There were a number of two-tops. There was never music playing while we were dining there. Maybe this is something new?

As for the food...maybe things have changed since we ate there:

The liver parfait was delicious and was not dark brown and runny.

We were offered extra bread - no charge.

The cheese course was offered after the main entree and before dessert, never with the charcuterie. And, we got to choose from a selection. Has the menu changed?

The portions were not large but it was a 5-course meal. Enough food for us.

Share is not everyone's "cup of tea" but most of the people that we spoke with on the ship who tried the restaurant enjoyed it.

The $80 per couple would stick in my craw for a very long time for a venue that is suppose to be upscale and palatable. I would much rather get a nice steak and lobster meal in the steakhouse than to endure a disappointing meal. The review should open up some eyes, it was what I suspected.

We've usually had really good meals dining in the 'Crown Grill' & 'Sterling'.

Although, on the Sapphire (where they utilize a closed off-section of the Horizon Court for 'Sterling') it was so-so -- Due to what I suspected being understaffed. Yet, at an upcharge of $20 a pop, still well worth it.

Sabatani's has been hit-or-miss, but for the most part we've always left satiated and content.

In Feb.(on Ruby), We found ourselves preferring our experience at the 'Salty Dog' more than 'Share' at 1/2 the cover charge.

We dine at least 2 to 3 times at speciality restaurants during a cruise(usually on formal nights - as we prefer not to deal with dressing up). There's no question that I would rather go to the 'CG' twice than attend 'Share' for the same cost.

While the food was edible @Share(we did enjoy the Au Gratin), and the experience wasn't necessarily horrible, I would unequivocally state IMHO that 'Share' is not an upgrade from Sabatini's. If given a choice between the two (at similar price points), I would opt for Sabatini's.

Thank you so much for a very informative review.

After reading it and many other reviews, I believe that I will simply pass on the "Share" experience. The main reasons that we chose to eat at the specialty restaurants are:

• Peace & Comfort
  • Quality of the food
  • Quality of the Service & Experience

Due to an issue with my back, I have entered and quickly left quite a few places in search of a more comfortable seating accommodation.

Again thank you for the review.

Just Mike

Thanks to all for your good comments.

We all agree that food is subjective, but the idea of leaning back on the equivalent of a horizontal baseball bat (like Adirondack northern white ash) is just too much!

Thanks, all, for being interested:)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I am just wondering how the OP would compare a "Northern White Ash" backrest feel to a Pine backrest? :eek: LOL

I am sure that pine would feel just as bad. The idea of leaning back on a single, rounded piece of hardwood really gets me.

I wonder which high priced, chic designer came up with that!

Tom Wolfe wrote a great book about modern architecture and design entitled From Bauhaus to Our House. I recommend it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the warning.

Love it. My thoughts exactly. I'm an old "foodie" at heart spending most of my career in the F&B business. I've watched Curtis transition from a nobody to the celebrity chef he is today. Unfortunately however, I have never found his flare for food to my taste and would only give "Share" a go if it were offered complimentary.

I dined at Share' date=' on the Ruby, on Easter Sunday, about 8pm.

There were six tables at that time, and it went down to about four tables for most of the evening.* With only a minimal number of tables, the service was excellent.* The staff was very friendly.* One server came to speak to me, personally, to let me know that he knew me from other cruises.* This is always such a nice touch.

The “by the glass”* wine choices were wonderful.* I had an Austrian white wine, and a Spanish red wine.* Both were wines that I have not had before, and it was a pleasure to try these wines.

About the food:* it was OK, edible.* Food is always subjective.* I realize that others may have experienced the food differently.* I am offering my experience with the food, on that Sunday evening.

The charcuterie platter was fine.* Pretty good.* Not the greatest I ever had.* The greatest was on the Emerald’s wine tasting tour, in Valencia,* Spain.* The town of Requena featured sausages as their town specialty, and the charcuterie that was included with the wine tasting was beyond description.* The meats and sausages at Share were just OK, in comparison.* My expectations were high, I realize.

The pate that was included at Share had an odd texture.* I have had pate in Alsace, France.* I have had homemade pate at a farmhouse in the Vosges Mountains, in Alsace, France.* I have never had pate that had such an odd texture, as that served at Share.* It was dark brown and runny.* Enough said.*

They brought the cheese course with the charcuterie.* Instead of having choices, they just brought the French cheese and the Spanish cheese.* No choice was offered.* The cheese consisted of a couple of tiny slices of cheese.* With the French cheese, there were also two tiny slices of French bread.* I found the cheese course to be quite disappointing.* Each day, the buffet had many cheese choices, in unlimited quantities.* I found the cheeses at the buffet to be superior to the cheeses at Share.

I was also disappointed with the tiny serving of bread, at Share.*** The buffet, daily, had wonderful breads, that were superior to the tiny amount of bread served at Share.* (Here, I am describing the tiny serving of bread with the pate.* That was in addition to the tiny serving of French bread with the cheese.)

I chose the tagliatelle for the second course.* Unlike the generous inclusion of crab, that others have described, I found only microscopic pieces of crab.* Very disappointing.* And the pasta itself had a very squishie texture.* I have had pasta in Amalfi, in Rome, and at the homes of Italian Americans born in Italy.* Never have I had pasta with such an unappealing texture.* The daily pasta servings at the buffet were far superior.

We had the duck entrée and the mushroom entrée.* No complaints here.* The duck was tasty and moist, and the mushroom entrée was artfully arranged and tasty.

I had the chocolate dessert.* It was good.* But, ashore in Lahaina, I had scoops of chocolate macadamia nut ice cream, and I found that to be better.* I know that some will say that there is no comparison between the two, but in my subjective opinion, the Hawaiian style ice cream in Lahaina was definitely better than the chocolate dessert at Share.

Others have mentioned the chairs.* I found the chairs to be terrible!* There was a pad on the chair, so that was OK.* But the back consisted of one horizontal, round piece of wood.* It felt like leaning back on a horizontal baseball bat.* Adirondack bats are made from northern white ash, and it felt like leaning back on that.* I couldn’t lean back, during the dinner.

The hard surfaces in Share made for a very noisy environment.* Upon arrival, there was one table that was very noisy.* They were cackling so loudly that they sounded like the Wicked Witch, x4.* I thought I was going to have to leave, they were so loud.* Thankfully, they left after ten minutes.* If they hadn’t left, I would have had to leave.* When we were first discussing the décor, here on Cruise Critic, one person told me that my concerns about noise were just hyperbole.* I think that my experience at Share proved me to be correct, about my concerns with noise there.

Another odd thing:* instead of playing soft dinner music, they were playing 50s and 60s oldies, throughout dinner.* I would prefer soft dinner music.* I am a child of the 50s and 60s, so I appreciate oldies.* I used to listen to this type of music, on my transistor radio, on my paper route.* There is a time and a place for oldies.* I was very disappointed with the music they were playing.* If the point of Share is to attract a younger group of cruisers, how does the playing of 50s and 60s oldies contribute to that?

Finally, I want to say that I looked in on Share, at random times, throughout the 15 day cruise.* Most times, there were only two or three tables of diners.* The most I ever saw were the six tables, on the Sunday evening when I arrived.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.* I realize others will have different opinions.* I understand that food is subjective.* I must add that I was not impressed, overall, with Share.[/quote']

Would guess pate made with frozen meat... liver does not freeze and most meat and other stables are frozen on ships.

I dined at Share' date=' on the Ruby, on Easter Sunday, about 8pm.

There were six tables at that time, and it went down to about four tables for most of the evening.* With only a minimal number of tables, the service was excellent.* The staff was very friendly.* One server came to speak to me, personally, to let me know that he knew me from other cruises.* This is always such a nice touch.

The “by the glass”* wine choices were wonderful.* I had an Austrian white wine, and a Spanish red wine.* Both were wines that I have not had before, and it was a pleasure to try these wines.

About the food:* it was OK, edible.* Food is always subjective.* I realize that others may have experienced the food differently.* I am offering my experience with the food, on that Sunday evening.

The charcuterie platter was fine.* Pretty good.* Not the greatest I ever had.* The greatest was on the Emerald’s wine tasting tour, in Valencia,* Spain.* The town of Requena featured sausages as their town specialty, and the charcuterie that was included with the wine tasting was beyond description.* The meats and sausages at Share were just OK, in comparison.* My expectations were high, I realize.

The pate that was included at Share had an odd texture.* I have had pate in Alsace, France.* I have had homemade pate at a farmhouse in the Vosges Mountains, in Alsace, France.* I have never had pate that had such an odd texture, as that served at Share.* It was dark brown and runny.* Enough said.*

They brought the cheese course with the charcuterie.* Instead of having choices, they just brought the French cheese and the Spanish cheese.* No choice was offered.* The cheese consisted of a couple of tiny slices of cheese.* With the French cheese, there were also two tiny slices of French bread.* I found the cheese course to be quite disappointing.* Each day, the buffet had many cheese choices, in unlimited quantities.* I found the cheeses at the buffet to be superior to the cheeses at Share.

I was also disappointed with the tiny serving of bread, at Share.*** The buffet, daily, had wonderful breads, that were superior to the tiny amount of bread served at Share.* (Here, I am describing the tiny serving of bread with the pate.* That was in addition to the tiny serving of French bread with the cheese.)

I chose the tagliatelle for the second course.* Unlike the generous inclusion of crab, that others have described, I found only microscopic pieces of crab.* Very disappointing.* And the pasta itself had a very squishie texture.* I have had pasta in Amalfi, in Rome, and at the homes of Italian Americans born in Italy.* Never have I had pasta with such an unappealing texture.* The daily pasta servings at the buffet were far superior.

We had the duck entrée and the mushroom entrée.* No complaints here.* The duck was tasty and moist, and the mushroom entrée was artfully arranged and tasty.

I had the chocolate dessert.* It was good.* But, ashore in Lahaina, I had scoops of chocolate macadamia nut ice cream, and I found that to be better.* I know that some will say that there is no comparison between the two, but in my subjective opinion, the Hawaiian style ice cream in Lahaina was definitely better than the chocolate dessert at Share.

Others have mentioned the chairs.* I found the chairs to be terrible!* There was a pad on the chair, so that was OK.* But the back consisted of one horizontal, round piece of wood.* It felt like leaning back on a horizontal baseball bat.* Adirondack bats are made from northern white ash, and it felt like leaning back on that.* I couldn’t lean back, during the dinner.

The hard surfaces in Share made for a very noisy environment.* Upon arrival, there was one table that was very noisy.* They were cackling so loudly that they sounded like the Wicked Witch, x4.* I thought I was going to have to leave, they were so loud.* Thankfully, they left after ten minutes.* If they hadn’t left, I would have had to leave.* When we were first discussing the décor, here on Cruise Critic, one person told me that my concerns about noise were just hyperbole.* I think that my experience at Share proved me to be correct, about my concerns with noise there.

Another odd thing:* instead of playing soft dinner music, they were playing 50s and 60s oldies, throughout dinner.* I would prefer soft dinner music.* I am a child of the 50s and 60s, so I appreciate oldies.* I used to listen to this type of music, on my transistor radio, on my paper route.* There is a time and a place for oldies.* I was very disappointed with the music they were playing.* If the point of Share is to attract a younger group of cruisers, how does the playing of 50s and 60s oldies contribute to that?

Finally, I want to say that I looked in on Share, at random times, throughout the 15 day cruise.* Most times, there were only two or three tables of diners.* The most I ever saw were the six tables, on the Sunday evening when I arrived.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.* I realize others will have different opinions.* I understand that food is subjective.* I must add that I was not impressed, overall, with Share.[/quote']

Your experience kinda fits with my first impressions.... menu does not do it for me; farmica looking tables not what I want in a dining experience, I have a table cloth at home. So we will give Share a pass.

These new approaches on Princess are not for well established Princess cruisers. They are about marketing to a younger crowd for sure. Good luck Princess.

The lighting on Ruby has been fixed. The room is still a bit loud due to the hard floors and some of the overhead treatments, but it's no longer so starkly lit you could do surgery in there.

Your experience kinda fits with my first impressions.... menu does not do it for me; farmica looking tables not what I want in a dining experience, I have a table cloth at home. So we will give Share a pass.

These new approaches on Princess are not for well established Princess cruisers. They are about marketing to a younger crowd for sure. Good luck Princess.

I, too, prefer a table cloth at home. It adds such a nice touch. My dining room chairs are wooden. They were handmade by an Amish craftsman. They have vertical wooden slats. The single horizontal round piece of wood, that I experienced at Share, was just too much! As Tom Wolfe would say, from Bauhaus to Our House! :) :) :)

We were on the Ruby a week ago and ate at Share twice. We loved it and would have gone again. If the menu had a few more things to try we would have. Everything was excellent from our point of view. Portion sizes were good, there not huge but 5 courses we were full when we left. I don't want 6 pieces of cheese just to feel like I got a lot to eat. I usually get the 22oz porter house in the Crown and finish it but the food waste in the Crown is big. My wife has never finished her meal there. Leaves over half her steak. Shares decor is different and we had no problem with it. Yes its a little loud at times. They just need a couple more choices in the menu.

• 11 months later...

to the Original Poster:

Thank you for your post.

You gave your honest opinions on the Share restaurant and compared it to similar items you have had. i really apprecated your candor.

thanks again.

In Toronto (and I'm guessing other major city cores) this type of dining experience has been very much in vogue with the younger urban set.