Los Angeles - Hawaii itinerary

MSBerliner

Many thanks Vette Gal. Now I am able to find it on line. But, WOW is it expensive! I guess that's the way with holiday cruises. Thanks to everyone for assisting with their preferences. Perhaps someday we will join a transatlantic cruise, visit in Europe for a few days, then fly home. So long for now.

It's definitely more expensive because it's a holiday cruise, overlapping both Christmas and New Years. Any other sailing is typically cheaper. Because of my work schedule, I am limited to when I can travel. Sometimes you get lucky though. After booking, we were able to change the fare to include gratuities and obc.

I also have done this RT three times and to be honest, I'd be happy if Ensenada was a drive by. I really dislike the long wait times for disembark/Customs screening and they still screen us like we just arrived from some questionable country. Its all theatre!

I'm doing the March 13th cruise next year and reading these threads it just confirmed the fact that I won't be getting off the ship in Ensenada. I live in San Diego and it really doesn't hold much appeal to me. IMO.

The Hawaii cruises have become outrageously expensive. That's because they have cut down the number of voyages. It used to a dedicated ship doing back to backs twice a month from San Pedro AND San Francisco. (Total 4 voyages from West Coast.)

Voyages have been less than 2 a month. Some months had none.

Bring back the voyages, Princess.

Yes, we also noted the increase in the cruises to Hawaii and their less frequent sailings. Three years ago we sailed twice in the same year because they were such a good price but last year we only sailed once.

I, for one, would prefer going to Encenada first simply just to get it over with but I wouldn't want that intinerary if it meant losing time on our first port day in Hawaii.

• 11 months later...

Hi! How far ahead did they alert you to the itinerary change? Our December cruise is slated for Honolulu on Christmas, and I have read on a few boards that the ports have been switched to avoid that.

We have our own arrangements set, including private helicopter tours, so i am worried about the lead time for the itiniterary change. Any insights would be appreciated. -Jen

We did the LA to Hawaii RTs three times with the final day in Ensenada. That was our day to pack and hang out at the pool. I call it a stationary day at sea. No matter when that stop falls during a cruise' date=' I have no interest in seeing that town again.

On our last cruise, we would be in a port on Christmas, so the Honolulu and Lahaina ports were switched so that we would be in Maui on Christmas (which worked out fine for us as I found out Whaler's Village would be open).[/quote']

On one of my Hawaii cruises we did just that. Went to Ensenada first. It was a fiasco.

We had to go through immigration in Hawaii and passengers went insane because they wanted to get off the ship NOW. It took forever to disembark and there were many angry people.

Personally, I liked it better, but I was in the minority.