Vacation Protection Needed for Military Deployment?

Ardo09203

Trying to decide if I need to purchase vacation protection for this situation, or if it would even cover me. We are booked on the Breeze for Nov of 2017. I am in the National Guard, and just found out last weekend that the possibility of a Deployment in Oct 2017 is very likely. This was straight from the horses mouth and not though some grape vine btw. It is not know for sure which companies will deploy as it is a sure thing that they are splitting the battalion, nor will I know until a few months prior if I will be reassigned companies. All of that being said, would Vacation protection afford me the ability to re book, or even receive a refund?

Edited by Ardo09203

Check on insuremytrip dot com and read through some of the policies. I glanced through mine quickly and did not see anything about being deployed but I may have overlooked it. Would you be able to call Carnival and change the date of when you travel since you are booked so far out?

There are some policies but here's your problem.

Insurance is meant to offset unforeseen events. Your deployment could now be considered a foreseen event by the insurance company

Check out tripinsurancestore.com and insure trip.com to see if you can get coverage.

Don't lie or try to BS your way around this. To pay the claim of deployment the insurance will require a letter from your command and that letter will have to indicate when the first movement order was announced or planned.

As a military family, we don't book anything if there's a chance of deployment during that time period. However, that's not always possible when world events and orders change. We book Carnival's military rate and when final payment comes up, we make sure any travel insurance we purchase includes coverage for issues related to military service (we've used Travel Guard).

Thankfully, we haven't had to cancel after final payment, but we have needed to cancel and rebook for another time.

If I were you, I would change to a date earlier than Oct 2017 if at all possible. Trying to keep your original date just isn't worth the stress.

There are some policies but here's your problem.

Insurance is meant to offset unforeseen events. Your deployment could now be considered a foreseen event by the insurance company

Check out tripinsurancestore.com and insure trip.com to see if you can get coverage.

Don't lie or try to BS your way around this. To pay the claim of deployment the insurance will require a letter from your command and that letter will have to indicate when the first movement order was announced or planned.

sorry but it doesn't work that way. deployments are planned and cancelled all of the time in the military. an order for deployment is only valid with actual orders in hand, not because someone, somewhere said they would be going no matter the rank of the individual stating it. perfectly valid to make a claim against trip insurance if one did not have orders in hand stating they were deploying at that time. and no, one does not need a letter from the commander, they need a copy of their orders showing the deployment is during the same timeframe as the cruise. the orders will be dated and the insurance must have been purchased before the date on the orders.

For trip insurance that will cover deployments, look at USAA trip insurance. There are specific provisions in their policies for this as USAA specifically covers members of the military and their eligible dependents.

Get insurance through USAA. That's what we always do and had to use it once a couple years ago for a trip to Vegas. My husband didn't end up with orders, but had his leave revoked for the possibility of a deployment. We submitted everything and had no issues getting our money back, minus the $50 the insurance cost us.

Two years ago I booked a club med for the entire family at thanksgiving. Our Army son was concerned about deployment. The fine print on the insurance said he had to have approved leave for the trip that was then canceled due to deployment.

We didn't have to send it to anybody just held it in case it was needed, which it wasn't.

My daughter and son-in-law had to cancel due to deployment and they used USAA for that reason. But I'm pretty sure that they had so show that the leave was rescinded in order to file the claim. You can also look into "cancel for any reason" policies. They usually cost more and have to be purchased within approximately 14 days or so of the deposit but that would also cover any scenario.

For trip insurance that will cover deployments, look at USAA trip insurance. There are specific provisions in their policies for this as USAA specifically covers members of the military and their eligible dependents.

Yes, we are USAA members and they have a link on the website for discounted rates on TravelGuard insurance. It does cover deployments.

I just priced USAA vs RCCL for an upcoming 15 day Panama Canal trip. USAA was $100 more, but is a much better policy. They had a "Cadillac" policy that was almost double the cost of the RCCL policy.

Funny thing is USAA is age rated as they charge me more than my younger DW. Whereas RCCL changed us both the same.

BTW: it will cover "revoked leave" due to deployment or reassignment. So you must have approved leave. That's probably why my son had signed leave papers prior to our Club Med trip.

As I recall he wasn't up for deployment, but might have gotten a slot in some school he applied for, but didn't get that go around.

I just priced USAA vs RCCL for an upcoming 15 day Panama Canal trip. USAA was $100 more, but is a much better policy. They had a "Cadillac" policy that was almost double the cost of the RCCL policy.

Funny thing is USAA is age rated as they charge me more than my younger DW. Whereas RCCL changed us both the same.

BTW: it will cover "revoked leave" due to deployment or reassignment. So you must have approved leave. That's probably why my son had signed leave papers prior to our Club Med trip.

As I recall he wasn't up for deployment, but might have gotten a slot in some school he applied for, but didn't get that go around.

did you compare usaa to insuremytrip :confused:

You could cancel your trip and get the majority if not all you money refunded from Carnival within 90 days sailing date with most type of bookings. This does not mean you should not buy the insurance.

God bless you for your service.

Trying to decide if I need to purchase vacation protection for this situation, or if it would even cover me. We are booked on the Breeze for Nov of 2017. I am in the National Guard, and just found out last weekend that the possibility of a Deployment in Oct 2017 is very likely. This was straight from the horses mouth and not though some grape vine btw. It is not know for sure which companies will deploy as it is a sure thing that they are splitting the battalion, nor will I know until a few months prior if I will be reassigned companies. All of that being said, would Vacation protection afford me the ability to re book, or even receive a refund?

I think just about all the private insurance policies include deployment. We have USAA and I know it does. I think it was one of the common items on all the policies. Don't know about the Carnival plan

Am I the only one who is surprised to find out someone has to have trip insurance in case of deployment to serve our country?

Exactly. I think if the OP checks with Carnival they will find out that Carnival will waive any cancellation fees if the person gets orders for deployment. At least that was the case a few years ago when I was researching for my son. It also included anyone who was traveling with him.

As stated in prior posts, the purchase of insurance through USAA is an excellent choice. This cost of the insurance was moderate and the policy does cover reassignments.

My son who is in the USAF received his orders for a reassignment a few days after final payment for a cruise on Celebrity was made. We submitted a claim and received a refund of his cruise fare. We had to submit a copy of his orders along with a letter from Celebrity indicating that the fare was nonrefundable. It was pretty straightforward and didn't take very long for the refund to be processed.

We had this happen once - but it was Norwegian and in 2003. I would read the cancellation policy carefully. We did NOT have trip insurance and had paid in full. Our cancellation policy allowed for cancellations due to military, but they really balked that it was a holiday cruise. Ultimately we had my husband's commander (Air Force) write a letter stating it was militarily necessary, and we were given a cruise credit which we used when he returned.

Just like rental agreements, I am sure there is a military clause somewhere.

Good luck and thank you for your service.