Sun boarding time after dry dock

woodz

Be aware that there can be issues on the first cruise out of drydock. We were on the Epic last October out of Southhampton - our cruise was delayed a week about 7 months prior to sail date and then we also lost a day of the cruise when they shortened the new week from a 7 to 6 night itinerary for engine repairs.

Hopefully all will go smoothly for you. We actually sailed the Sun right after the 2011 drydock and everything went smoothly so you just never know.

Can anyone find out what time boarding will be on the Sun May 8th cruise? There won't be any passengers disembarking so would it be earlier than normal?

We were on the first voyage of the Epic out of dry dock in October 2015. Boarding time was normal (around 11:30 am). At the port, some of the key cards were not ready until around 11 am.

Talking to our room steward, they worked until after midnight the night before (as the ship sailed from dry dock to the embarkation port) finishing the room renovations, then had less-than-normal turnaround time to prep the staterooms for the voyage, so the rooms were not ready for occupancy when we got onboard (still had to wait a while). It was probably 3 days into the cruise before all of the furnishings and curtains were finally set up in the stateroom.

There were little things like the galleys and been stripped and had to be restocked, so there were some basic things like ice cream that took a day to get from the main provisioning freezer up to the restaurants. There was no "left over food from the prior cruise" to use in some of the galleys - some had to be totally restocked from provisions boarded that morning.

Edited by BirdTravels

Can anyone find out what time boarding will be on the Sun May 8th cruise? There won't be any passengers disembarking so would it be earlier than normal?

It is very unlikely that it will be earlier than normal boarding. Although, the Sun's dry dock is shorter and less extensive than most, be sure to check out the threads on the POA's embarkation in March. The port didn't sound like it was prepared for a full ship of passengers. There were long lines and it sounded like not enough port workers at check in and security. That could have had to do with the 1 day delay on the POA, I don't know. Maybe search back a couple of years to when the Jewel had her dry dock in San Francisco as to what embarkation was like then.

I have my doubts NCL would want to pay the company who handles check-in procedures to come in earlier than normal. But I'm just speculating on that......

And I suspect your right.