Are mini bars actually empty when boarding now?

How the heck is this a layoff staff thing?

If what the stewards are saying is true, that they are going up to 35 cabins to take care of, certainly someone is being laid off. Who would have time to do their job, let alone unstock and stock a fake refrigerator.

If what the stewards are saying is true, that they are going up to 35 cabins to take care of, certainly someone is being laid off. Who would have time to do their job, let alone unstock and stock a fake refrigerator.

You are quite the funny guy today, fake refrigerators, certainly layoffs, going to 35 cabins. Where do you get this stuff from? Have you talked with any Carnival room stewards lately (I have)? The only certainty is that there are zero layoffs and even of there were, none would be tied to stocking or un-stocking the mini frig's.

It'a all about "man hours" and if you don't have to expend "man hours" stocking, un-stocking, inventorying and billing both pier side and shipboard those are "man hours" you can save.

Now, multiple that by all the cabins on all the ships they own and wa la it's a lot of money.

So, just for the sake of argument lets say it takes 30 minutes per cruise to service the min-bar. Keep in mind that includes staff we see and staff we don't.

Quick math says 1800 cabins X 30 mins x 50 cruises a year = 45,000 man hours saved on just one ship!!

What do you think they are going keep that staff around? Somebody is moving to another job, kicking somebody out of a job, and contracts are not getting renewed.

It'a all about "man hours" and if you don't have to expend "man hours" stocking, un-stocking, inventorying and billing both pier side and shipboard those are "man hours" you can save.

Now, multiple that by all the cabins on all the ships they own and wa la it's a lot of money.

So, just for the sake of argument lets say it takes 30 minutes per cruise to service the min-bar. Keep in mind that includes staff we see and staff we don't.

Quick math says 1800 cabins X 30 mins x 50 cruises a year = 45,000 man hours saved on just one ship!!

What do you think they are going keep that staff around? Somebody is moving to another job, kicking somebody out of a job, and contracts are not getting renewed.

I would argue it takes about 30 seconds as most people don't use them.

It is also possible that Carnival has realized, thru cruiser complaints, that the room stewards need to have their workload lightened, and this was the easiest item to be removed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Edited by Raxter54

It is also possible that Carnival has realized, thru cruiser complaints, that the room stewards need to have their workload lightened, and this was the easiest item to be removed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Anything is possible, I was told that over half of them stay locked (I don;t know if that is by choice or default) which would put a dent in your point, but again, I have no idea, and the point will be moot soon anyway.

Edited by jimbo5544

Also by having them unlocked the steward can say, "You don't need ice, you have the refrigerator." At least that is what our steward told us when we asked if ice was no longer being provided. He said ice is only available upon request. So we requested it. It was no problem. He kept the ice bucket full all week.

This makes it easier for the steward, no unloading and reloading the mini bar and no providing ice in the ice bucket. Wait----- No ice bucket unless requested.

I was happy. I never wanted to make the steward remove the stuff but I never once used any of it and like to put my own water in there. John Heald asked about the mini bar on his Facebook page more than once and my guess is most people didn't want it and removing and counting items was a lot of work.

I was happy. I never wanted to make the steward remove the stuff but I never once used any of it and like to put my own water in there. John Heald asked about the mini bar on his Facebook page more than once and my guess is most people didn't want it and removing and counting items was a lot of work.

Next step will be having them removed, as they take up so much non profit juice.

Also by having them unlocked the steward can say, "You don't need ice, you have the refrigerator." At least that is what our steward told us when we asked if ice was no longer being provided. He said ice is only available upon request. So we requested it. It was no problem. He kept the ice bucket full all week.

This makes it easier for the steward, no unloading and reloading the mini bar and no providing ice in the ice bucket. Wait----- No ice bucket unless requested.

In 25+ Carnival cruises with the mini fridges we have never had a room steward say anything when asked about unlocking the mini fridge.

Was just curious as I hadn't seen a topic related to this. Just wanted to know if anybody recently off a cruise (specifically Liberty) has embarked with their mini bar fridge thing already empty? Also if it is empty, to get it stocked like normal do you contact your steward or room service or guest services?

This strikes me as totally hilarious, as over the years, there have been millions of post about how to contact your cabin steward to empty the mini bar prior to sailing, now it's, 'why has it already been emptied?' LOL!

I am sure that you are a brilliant person (heck, I'd hire you), but you are also today's poster child for somebody that definitely needs to take a cruise. Chill out ...

What seems as unreasonable human rights worker violations to us, for the foreign national staff aboard it is lucrative and acceptable to the workers. I live locally in Cape Canaveral and see the crew members daily at our local stores. Several new local cafe-type businesses have opened that allows the crew to exchange currency, wire funds home, and use PCs for Skyping and email. Our local Walmart and cell phone centers also overstock based on the crews' purchases.

On one of my last cruises, my room steward was very sad because her six-month tour was ending. She said her income (sent back home) had supported three generations of her family with medical care, housing and food.

Because of her high customer ratings, Carnival had already guaranteed her a spot back on a ship (ALERT - the reason for those customer comment cards!!), but because of international legal reasons she had to go back for some time period.

Many people think that these ships are registered with foreign governments just for licensing/tax reasons, but US Labor Laws are the biggest reason.

I have weighed this dilemma several times over the years ... should I boycott the industry? Or do I actually help Carmen from Panama send her kids to good schools by sailing and tipping well?

I apologize for posting this here in a thread that was created for cabin mini-bars, but after James' post, I was compelled to reply. All of us cruise Carnival because of the great bargain for the $$$, but we must all acknowledge WHY we get that deal and make our own choices. For me, I have opted to help all the Carmens continue their kids' improved education and help better their family's lives.

Edited by SeaBrz

• 2 months later...

Just off Glory and mini bar was full. Easy, simple request and it was emptied and ice bucket with ice 2 times a day were provided. Steward's first comment, not even as a question was "service twice a day, good with you"

Edited by MJF0507

On the Pride a couple of weeks ago - the mini bar was still full. Not an issue for us - so we didn't even ask that it be emptied.

I usually empty it myself rather than ask the steward to do it. I tell him/her that I'm putting everything on the bottom floor of the closet that has the shelves. I do leave the mini bottles of booze in the door, though, as I don't need that space.

I put my own stuff in the fridge, need my closet space and our steward was more than happy to do it.

Especially since it is now policy to not stock them now.

Edited by MJF0507