Princess newbie questions

Frequent Floater

Hi, I am new to Princess and have a question I hope you can help with. I take my family and friends on cruises but on another line so I am not new to cruising just Princess. We will be doing the Ruby 7 day in Nov..

I would like to know if there are 2 formal nights on 7 day sailings and how formal for men. Suits or sport coat or is a dress shirt and tie with nice dress slack acceptable?

Are we allowed to take a 12 pack of soda and waters onboard.

We do have the all inclusive drink package so I know we will not need a lot of "take on" but enough just to have in our cabins.

Thanks in advance

Yes, you may bring on cans of soda and bottled water....but I can't imagine why you'd want to if you have the all inclusive beverage package. You can get an extra bottled water thru the package and take it back to your room. It's really easy to run to a bar or the International Cafe to get a soft drink. But then, I'm into traveling light.

On our December 7 night cruise, there were 2 "formal" nights which were more like "dress up a little" nights. Yes, the wardrobe you described is fine. And the dress up applies only to the main dining rooms. If you don't want to dress up, you can eat elsewhere.

Yes' date=' you may bring on cans of soda and bottled water....but I can't imagine why you'd want to if you have the all inclusive beverage package. You can get an extra bottled water thru the package and take it back to your room. It's really easy to run to a bar or the International Cafe to get a soft drink. But then, I'm into traveling light.

On our December 7 night cruise, there were 2 "formal" nights which were more like "dress up a little" nights. Yes, the wardrobe you described is fine. And the dress up applies only to the main dining rooms. If you don't want to dress up, you can eat elsewhere.[/quote']

Thanks so much for the info. I know what you mean about traveling light but we are in San Diego so a 2 hour car trip to port with 12 waters is not too bad. I drink a lot of bottle water (NO ship tap stuff as it contains a bit of salt I can't do) and need at least 2 bottles each night. I hate to have to remember to stock up from the bars. Worth the effort for me.

I did see I can pre order online @ $6.90 for 12 so may go that way.

We love to eat in the MDR on our "other" cruise line and hope that on Princess it is just as good of food and fun. Don't mind dressing up like going out to a nice dinner every night when at home but never suits or sports coats. I will assume the formal nights are on At Sea days. Sounds great and again thanks for your info

Hi, I am new to Princess and have a question I hope you can help with. I take my family and friends on cruises but on another line so I am not new to cruising just Princess. We will be doing the Ruby 7 day in Nov..

I would like to know if there are 2 formal nights on 7 day sailings and how formal for men. Suits or sport coat or is a dress shirt and tie with nice dress slack acceptable?

We do have the all inclusive drink package so I know we will not need a lot of "take on" but enough just to have in our cabins.

Thanks in advance

Formal nights.

Yep 2, dress standard may differ by itinerary. In my experience maybe 75% Suits, 10% Tux, 10% shirt and tie, 5% less dressy still.

With AIBP why take anything on? You can definitely get bottled water with it and I thought you could get cans of soda, they're happy to give them to you unopened.

There will be two formal nights.

Even on formal nights, decent long pants and a nice shirt with a collar will be all right.

DH no longer takes his tuxedo. Now, only takes his navy sports coat which he sometimes wears with a white golf shirt rather than with a dress shirt & tie.

Formal evenings on Princess are way less formal than they once were.

LuLu

Formal nights.

Yep 2, dress standard may differ by itinerary. In my experience maybe 75% Suits, 10% Tux, 10% shirt and tie, 5% less dressy still.

With AIBP why take anything on? You can definitely get bottled water with it and I thought you could get cans of soda, they're happy to give them to you unopened.

Thanks and good to know you can get unopened cans and water, that helps as I figured it would be opened and put in glasses. Thanks so much

There will be two formal nights.

Even on formal nights, decent long pants and a nice shirt with a collar will be all right.

DH no longer takes his tuxedo. Now, only takes his navy sports coat which he sometimes wears with a white golf shirt rather than with a dress shirt & tie.

Formal evenings on Princess are way less formal than they once were.

LuLu

Agree, I see most lines are getting much more casual than years ago when we started sailing. Hard when you make the change to a new line to know what to expect and good to get first hand info. Thank you

I was honestly surprised at how casual the "formal" night was. I figured that I'd be on the low end of the "dress up" status in black pants and top with a lacy cover up. I was honestly at the more dressed up end of things in our section of the dining room.

Thanks and good to know you can get unopened cans and water, that helps as I figured it would be opened and put in glasses. Thanks so much

Hey FF-

Print out extra luggage tags, slap them on your drink packages and give them to the porter. It's better than having to schlep them around the terminal yourself!

You and I are on the same cruise- B748!

Woo Hoo!!!! Can't wait!

Edited by EDDY0827

I was honestly surprised at how casual the "formal" night was. I figured that I'd be on the low end of the "dress up" status in black pants and top with a lacy cover up. I was honestly at the more dressed up end of things in our section of the dining room.

Perfect that is about same as I dress so it's perfect info

Thanks in advance

I'm not a Coke person, so we pack some bottles of Mountain Dew, maybe a diet Sierra Mist (diet Sprite tastes like dishwater to me), Sobe, a container of grapefruit juice in a plastic crate, slap a luggage tag on it, and have it delivered to our room. I don't care for canned soda (can usually taste the metallic taste). If the cruise line switched to Pepsi products for the fountain drinks, I would get the soda sticker.

Usually the formality on formal nights is dependent on the itinerary. Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian RTs during the holiday time, so it tended to be a bit dressy. Hubby will bring his suit, but it's not a dark one, more a sports coat, a couple of dress shirts and some festive ties (there's three formal nights on this itinerary as it's two weeks). I will usually stick with cocktail length. On our last cruise, a man a couple of tables over wore just a dress shirt (in godawful solid colors like mustard) with no jacket nor tie. While at the table to our other side, lots of tuxes.

The specialty restaurants are smart casual every night. And of course, there's the buffet, the poolside grille/pizzeria (bathing suits okay), and some ships have other options too. And most Princess ships have the International Cafe, which is not enclosed, but a set of display cases on Plaza deck, midships, and food is available 24/7 there.

Hey FF! Small world ... We are doing our first Princess cruise in 2 weeks! Ironically to the British Isles again ... Part deux [emoji4]

We will be on a different ship (Caribbean Princess), but let me know if you want me to check out anything for you and I can report back when we return.

Jenn :)

Agree! I'm now into the black silk pants with a lace or silk top on formal nights.

Yes, now it's more dressy than many will be wearing. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers