First Time Cruiser

tnunes

Hi Everyone! So I will be doing my first cruise ever to Alaska from Seattle June 2016. I am excited but extremely nervous. I have been reading mix reviews about the rooms we have been assigned and just nervous in general since I never did a cruise before. Does anyone have any tips or a way to calm my nerves so I am not panicking the entire trip?

An Alaskan Cruise is sometimes considered a once in a lifetime experience, and for some it just whets the appetite for more. Hopefully, you were advised to opt for a Balcony room. The scenery is breathtaking, and you are close enough to shore to have a everchanging view for the entire trip.

Not sure what is worrisome about any room. Did you ask for a GTY cabin, and are not happy with the assignment? Think of the cabin as a place to sleep and change clothes, and to use the bathroom. Unless you have a balcony you will not spend much other time there. Considering the port days.

Even with a balcony you may find yourself on the wrong side of the ship for viewing. So you will be up in the public areas, either outside shivering or inside looking out with awe.

Think, you will be in Alaska......4 distinct experiences:

1. Wildlife

2. Gold Rush Era

3. Native Culture, think Totem Poles.

4. Glaciers

Forget the room, concentrate on the Alaskan experience

Not knowing where your cabin will be, I would being concerned with its location if it is above or below a lounge, dining area, the lido deck, or any public area, and you are a light sleeper.

If you have any concerns, invest in a pair of good ear plugs, because the ship will have noises you are not used to hearing.

As mentioned in the other post, this could very well turn you into an addict, as it did for us. If you do become an addict, make it a rule to always book a cabin that has a cabin above, and below you.

A couple of other things to keep in mind, be prepared to dress in layers, and have some warm clothing (cruising near glaciers is like being in an ice box).

Hope this helps!:)

Our rooms are on the 5th deck and looks to be below the dining area and gallery. That is why I am getting nerves. I can sleep with no problem but I did not want anyone in any of the other parts to be complaining. I don't plan on being in the room for anything other than sleeping because I want to take in the whole experience since this is my first cruise.

Honestly both. I don't want anyone to get miserable during the vacation and somehow someone always does. I need to stop overthinking stuff and think of all the things I will be experiencing on this cruise.

You are going to have a wonderful cruise.

The Pearl is great ship with a wonderful staff.

Lots of outdoor space to see the world.

If you have not been to Seattle before, make sure that you are outside when you sail. You will sail past the Seattle Space Needle built for the 1962 World's Fair. It is something to see.

Have a great time.

The only thing you need to panic about is where you will get the money for all the other cruises you will be booking after this one. The Pearl and Alaska were our first. And I've just booked number 18. Pearl is great. Buffet is a good one. The Great Outdoors is wonderful for breakfast and other snacks during the day. The Spinnaker lounge is wonderful for indoor viewing and relaxing. Port side, all the way forward deck 11 is the bridge viewing room. And of course the scenery is wonderful on this cruise. You don't know what the weather will be like however. From week to week it can go from sunny and warm to cool and drizzly. Either way is fine. Just plan for a few items of warmth if necessary. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. This first cruise will give you the info you will need to make more informed decisions on the next. Pair of binoculars are nice to have... and I believe we took over 800 pictures on that first cruise. Let's hear it for the digital age.

Honestly both. I don't want anyone to get miserable during the vacation and somehow someone always does. I need to stop overthinking stuff and think of all the things I will be experiencing on this cruise.
A cruise is what you make of it. If you go into it with trepidation and nervousness because of all the negative things you have read, then you will probably have a miserable time. A positive attitude and a willingness to be flexible are important in helping to have a good time.

An Alaskan cruise sounds wonderful. I've been to Alaska before, but I was only in the Anchorage area. To see Alaska from a cruise ship and to see the passages and Skagway and all that.... seems magical. I hope to do it one day. Relax, and enjoy!

My Alaska cruise on the Pearl is probably my all time favorite vacation. It was our first cruise on a modern cruise ship and it was just wonderful. Obviously if you haven't cruised before there's always trepidation, but I wouldn't worry too much. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a balcony on an Alaska cruise, as it's really kind of cold to sit out there. We had a window at it was plenty.