Harmony of the Seas vs Disney Dream

RT10

Hello all,

My wife and three kids (ages 13,12 & 9) hope to take a cruise next year to the Caribbean. As of right now, we are contemplating mainly between the Harmony of the Seas and the Disney Dream. We are also possibly considering the Norwegian Escape. What are your suggestions?

Well for families Disney is normally ranked the highest. However they are also more expensive. I personally like Disney, but frequently find the cost too high...

Compare dates, itinerary, and cost to decide.

I say go for it. We are Disney cruisers as well and love Oasis class ships. We have harmony booked next summer. I suggest you read my review and others to get a better idea of what an Oasis class ship has to offer. In my opinion Royal has many more activities and dining options when compared to Disney.

Disney Dream only does 3 and 4 night cruises to the Bahamas. Disney Fantasy does 1 week caribbean like Harmony will. So that would be the better comparison.

We loved the Fantasy and had a wonderful week. Honestly one of our best weeks ever (second only to our week in Hawaii last year). The food and service was amazing. The kids clubs were great. They got to meet all of their favorite characters and princesses. It was just wonderful. We had one of their family balcony rooms that sleeps 5. It was a bit crowded but the kids were little (4, 6 & 8) So not too bad. Plus having the balcony gave us extra room, and the split bath is nice.

When we started looking at doing another Disney cruise for next year we priced out a room for all 5 of us (about $8500) or 2 smaller rooms next to each other (over $9000). It just seemed like so much money, so I started looking at RCCL and NCL. Once my kids saw the videos with the slides, flowrider, pools, etc, they were hooked. They unanimously voted for Harmony. And when I looked at prices, it saved us quite a bit of money too. $7500 for 2 balcony rooms or $6500 for a balcony room and an interior across the hall.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with either, it just depends what is more important to your family. Disney was perfect for us when the kids were younger but now that they're older, so I think RCCL is a better fit for us.

We went on a Disney cruise and liked it but a few years ago my kids, now 12 and 11, felt Disney was too baby-ish, so we switched to RCI. The kids are very happy and would never go back to Disney. Either way I think your kids would enjoy both cruises but if your kids are like mine, go for RCI, they have more activities as well that seemed geared to the preteens.

We just got back from Allure and Harmony will be similar + waterslides and non-water slide. Your kids are perfect ages. I even thought that my son who was just under 11 was getting too old for a Disney cruise and RCL was better suited for him. He just loved the Flowrider, rock wall and zipline. I would totally go for it (but I'm Royal biased). If they are still into characters, there are DreamWorks characters and shows (but of course no Disney characters)

We did Disney when the kids where younger all under 10 then switched to RCCL. Then we tried NCL for water slides.

We have done Allure and Oasis and loved her. We have also done Getaway. Truthfully Allure and Oasis are better. Our next cruise is on Escape but we are in the Haven so that will be awesome. After Escape we are going to do Harmony summer of 2017 she looks amazing and adds the water slides we love so much from NCL with the better entertainment RCCL offers.

Disney is amazing its Disney but lots of young kids, its Disney. Rccl and NCL are more grown up better IMO for kids who want more. Like water slides and flowriders.

One thing to keep in mind NCL pick 2 promo goes away in May it might come back but in May it will not have the dinning and drink promo.

We did Disney when the kids where younger all under 10 then switched to RCCL. Then we tried NCL for water slides.

We have done Allure and Oasis and loved her. We have also done Getaway. Truthfully Allure and Oasis are better. Our next cruise is on Escape but we are in the Haven so that will be awesome. After Escape we are going to do Harmony summer of 2017 she looks amazing and adds the water slides we love so much from NCL with the better entertainment RCCL offers.

Disney is amazing its Disney but lots of young kids, its Disney. Rccl and NCL are more grown up better IMO for kids who want more. Like water slides and flowriders.

One thing to keep in mind NCL pick 2 promo goes away in May it might come back but in May it will not have the dinning and drink promo.

What is "the Haven"?

If we looked outside of Royal, it would be NCL and something like the Escape, which I believe is one of their bigger ships.

Hello all,

My wife and three kids (ages 13,12 & 9) hope to take a cruise next year to the Caribbean. As of right now, we are contemplating mainly between the Harmony of the Seas and the Disney Dream. We are also possibly considering the Norwegian Escape. What are your suggestions?

When our grandsons were 7-8 they loved Disney cruises, by the time they got to 10-11, they preferred RCL. Your 9 year old may still lean towards Disney, but your 12 and 13 year olds will be bored to death with Disney. Once the sun goes down and everything other than the dining rooms and shows close down for the night - so will you and your wife.

Disney Dream only does 3 and 4 night cruises to the Bahamas. Disney Fantasy does 1 week caribbean like Harmony will. So that would be the better comparison.

We loved the Fantasy and had a wonderful week. Honestly one of our best weeks ever (second only to our week in Hawaii last year). The food and service was amazing. The kids clubs were great. They got to meet all of their favorite characters and princesses. It was just wonderful. We had one of their family balcony rooms that sleeps 5. It was a bit crowded but the kids were little (4, 6 & 8) So not too bad. Plus having the balcony gave us extra room, and the split bath is nice.

When we started looking at doing another Disney cruise for next year we priced out a room for all 5 of us (about $8500) or 2 smaller rooms next to each other (over $9000). It just seemed like so much money, so I started looking at RCCL and NCL. Once my kids saw the videos with the slides, flowrider, pools, etc, they were hooked. They unanimously voted for Harmony. And when I looked at prices, it saved us quite a bit of money too. $7500 for 2 balcony rooms or $6500 for a balcony room and an interior across the hall.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with either, it just depends what is more important to your family. Disney was perfect for us when the kids were younger but now that they're older, so I think RCCL is a better fit for us.

We did similar. We cruised with our kids in March of 2013 on Freedom and when booking this year's spring break we compared Disney and RCI (we are HUGE Disney fans....I got married at the Polynesian Resort). We gave our kids the option of 7 days on RCI or 4 days on Disney and all three unanimously voted for RCI. (All girls ages 5, 8 and 10 at the time of most recent cruise)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello all,

For 2017: Escape Escape Escape :)

Take the route that goes to Tortola.

Good pricing and promos going on at the present.

Disney Dream cruise too short (and pricey). Harmony too expensive for 2017 and will command premium prices as the latest Oasis class ship in town. Wait until 2018/2019 and it should be a better for Harmony pricing.