Found jewelry on the Sunshine

terkopp5

I just returned from the Sunshine and found a piece of jewelry in the cabin safe in room 8260. I would like to return it to the owner. I was afraid to turn it in to Carnival staff for fear it could get lost or stolen. Please reply if you think it might be yours.

It sounds as of the OP is already back home from their trip.

terkopp5, where do you think the previous tenant of the cabin is going to call once they realize they may have left their jewelry onboard? THAT'S RIGHT! Their going to call Carnival, not you! You should have turned it in to guest services like riffatsea said. SMH

terkopp5, where do you think the previous tenant of the cabin is going to call once they realize they may have left their jewelry onboard? THAT'S RIGHT! Their going to call Carnival, not you! You should have turned it in to guest services like riffatsea said. SMH

Don't you realize the OP is more honest than Carnival, since in their opinion Carnival would have lost or stolen it after being turned in?

Makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

Only a fraction of the people who take a cruise read these boards. Hopefully, it's a large fraction, but the boards here aren't just a neat way to talk to everyone who has been on a cruise.

The person who owns the jewelry you kept may never see your post.

Good call contacting Carnival, but I hope this all works out well.

Feel better now???:(

I dunno I think the OP is giving the person a greater % chance of getting their item back. Items that end up in Carnival's lost & found are pretty much like going in to a black hole. Plus as great as they are, do you think think the steward is going to find something embark day in a safe, and take the time to catalog exactly where it came from and report it to management with all the turn around / cleaning work that is to be done? I'm sure they'll take it and just drop it off at lost & lost forever without any notes.

I dunno I think the OP is giving the person a greater % chance of getting their item back. Items that end up in Carnival's lost & found are pretty much like going in to a black hole. Plus as great as they are, do you think think the steward is going to find something embark day in a safe, and take the time to catalog exactly where it came from and report it to management with all the turn around / cleaning work that is to be done? I'm sure they'll take it and just drop it off at lost & lost forever without any notes.

I feel the opposite most people that leave something on the ship will immediately call the cruise line. Although I know some exceptions exist most employees are honest.

I feel the opposite most people that leave something on the ship will immediately call the cruise line. Although I know some exceptions exist most employees are honest.

I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't mean to imply that a steward would be dishonest, just that with the amount of work they do, they might not have time to properly catalog a "found" item. They may just drop it off at a generic lost & found with no notes on it's origin. Plus I have seen posts where people have left stuff behind, called Carnival, and got absolutely nowhere.

On my April 16 Sunshine cruise, the people on the previous cruise left a men's gold diamond ring under the grey fabric matt in the safe. The 3rd day of our cruise, Security & housekeeping comes in to look in our safe. We empty our items and sure enough, a nice diamond ring is under that matt. Security says they have 3 or 4 calls each week for expensive items left in the safe/cabin. We look under that grey matt when we are emptying the safe the last day.

OP, did you try posting on the Roll Call for the cruise prior to yours?

You may have some luck there, or maybe friends of the people that lost it would see the post.

Just possibly list the cabin, etc.

I don't blame you for taking it. No saying what Carnival would have done with it. Not everyone is 100% honest.

Don't listen to the flamers. I probably would have done the same.

Also, maybe there is a chance it's just a piece of costume jewelry and there is no value to it..........

Good Luck in finding the rightful owner.:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this took me back to last year on the Conquest. On the last night I was cleaning out the safe and under the gray mat found a lady's garnet or dark red sapphire gold ring.

I had a hard time deciding what to do myself because I wasn't sure it would go back to its owner. I ended up taking it directly to guest services and asked what the policy was for this. The man there told me they ticket it and then drop it off in their headquarters. I asked for a copy of the ticket number. I wasn't going to do anything with it but thought I'd make the man there more accountable if he knew I didn't just leave it and go. I know this sounds crazy to some but not everyone is honest or follows through.

I did think about taking it home to call Carnival guest services upon my return and/or post here and on Facebook. I truly hope the owner got the ring back. My husband left a pair of Oakley sunglasses in our cabin years ago and they were never returned. Someone took them or never followed protocol as we did call Lost and Found but they were gone.

Lets see

Less than 1% of cruisers read or post on CruiseCritic. Yet, OP and others feel there is a better chance that the owner of the jewelry will read this and contact OP.

Therefore, it would only make sense if I find something of value in Miami, if I post this lost item in the Seattle Times, there's a better than average chance of finding the owner.

I don't think so. OP's actions are misguided at best. Dishonest at worse.

Perhaps they get nowhere because the guest that found it did not turn it in to guest services.

Yup and like an earlier post said, security came in and wanted to look in a safe. If the current person found it and wanted to keep it by putting it somewhere else, security would just tell that person, 'we looked in the safe and it wasn't there, you must have misplaced it'.

In OP's situation I think I would have just turned into carnival because it's their problem, not mine and I would just hope for the best. If it was possible I would try to get phone number of previous person in the room, after I turned the item in, so that I could check in to see if he/she got their item but I don't even know if they could/would do that.

If the item was under the mat, it may not have been from the last cruise, it could have been from another previous cruise. If it's jewelry, I know that I don't think about mine until I decide to wear it.

I have mixed emotions about the right/wrong way to handle this situation. It would be nice if everyone did the right thing and made sure belongings made it back to their rightful owner, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes it isn't because of theft, sometimes it's pure laziness.

While not Carnival, but something similar, we left a small carryone bag on a plane and realized it when we got ready to board our connecting flight. We even had someone to call and they verified that they had found it on the plane. We were told that we did not have time to go back and retrieve it or we would miss our flight and would not be able to get another until the next day. Since we knew they had found it and we were given a number to call as soon as we landed at our destination, we were fairly confident that we would get our items back. As soon as we landed (this was within 2 hours), I called and got a claim number, etc. Still, after all of this and knowing that they had our items in their hands, we never got them back. So, it has weakened my faith in relying on these systems that are in place for lost and found items.

If the OP called Carnival, Carnival should be able to look through there records and have all the contact information for the person who was booked in the room prior to the OP. Carnival certainly could reach out and provide OP number as well as check with Guest Services to see if anyone called asking for this item from the same ship. My only question is, how does anyone know it was from the prior cruise, could be any number of folks in that cabin.

I truly wish someone would have taken my camera when left on ship. I might have gotten it back.

If the OP called Carnival, Carnival should be able to look through there records and have all the contact information for the person who was booked in the room prior to the OP. Carnival certainly could reach out and provide OP number as well as check with Guest Services to see if anyone called asking for this item from the same ship. My only question is, how does anyone know it was from the prior cruise, could be any number of folks in that cabin.

I truly wish someone would have taken my camera when left on ship. I might have gotten it back.

I just returned from the Sunshine and found a piece of jewelry in the cabin safe in room 8260. I would like to return it to the owner. I was afraid to turn it in to Carnival staff for fear it could get lost or stolen. Please reply if you think it might be yours.

Really ?? Doesn't make sense. :eek:

Carnival has better things to do than steal a piece of jewelry.

Especially since it will be documented you (a witness) found it and turned it into the custody of Carnival.

By doing the WRONG thing you ensured it will multiple times harder for the owner to re-acquire their lost item.

I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't mean to imply that a steward would be dishonest, just that with the amount of work they do, they might not have time to properly catalog a "found" item. They may just drop it off at a generic lost & found with no notes on it's origin. Plus I have seen posts where people have left stuff behind, called Carnival, and got absolutely nowhere.

You are officially turning in a valuable item to the care, custody and control of Carnival. Do you really believe they are going to just toss it into an old shoebox in the corner and forget about it. Seriously ?

Somebody did ! They just weren't honest enough to turn it in.

Edited by lizardhowson

Lets see

Less than 1% of cruisers read or post on CruiseCritic. Yet, OP and others feel there is a better chance that the owner of the jewelry will read this and contact OP.

Therefore, it would only make sense if I find something of value in Miami, if I post this lost item in the Seattle Times, there's a better than average chance of finding the owner.

I don't think so. OP's actions are misguided at best. Dishonest at worse.

klfrodo, I believe YOU are the misguided one. Don't flame the OP, he/she said that they also let CCL know both what was found and the room number. The OP is behaving in a most HONEST way...the pax in the cabin before her COULD be in that 1% that reads CC (how do you know they are not?) in addition to being in the balance of the 99% of population that you deems would call CCL! All "corners" are covered in the way in which the OP is going about this! Hey, play nice, you don't even know the OP or their intent!!

Edited by buddylover

Some really bad advice being given here, and some good too.

What the OP did was remove an item from the ship that was not theirs to take. I call that theft.

Sorry, but the world of cruise passengers does not revolve around CC, and excuses made that the OP taking it from the ship will have a better chance of finding the owner are very poor at best. Bad, bad advice that will encourage others to do what the OP did.

This is the second time in a week I have heard about a passenger doing this here. Such actions are misguided, and some of the poor advice and excuses here will cause others to do the same. Shame on those of you who give such advice and make excuses for why such felonious action is justified.

When you find an item in your cabin that is not yours, you turn it into guest services- period, end of story.

NEVER TAKE IT OFF THE SHIP! IT IS NOT YOURS TO TAKE! If you find it in your cabin the item is not in your possession, it is in the cruise line's possession, and it should be turned in to them.

Do not assume that the cruise line will lose it or steal it, and you, being a good Samaritan / detective will be able to return it to the owner; you won't stand a chance.

Why this is so hard for some folks to understand is beyond me. :mad: