What part of insurance covers hotel cost for miss flight

I'm trying to figure out which insurance to get. We have an early morning flight into miami (arrives at 8:20am) on same day as cruise, the only thing I'm worried about is the flight being delayed and missing the boat.

I see that missed connection will cover the airfare to catch up, which would be to Grand Cayman, but it's after 1 sea day. I would need hotels for 2 nights. What part covers the Hotel or does anything cover it?? still missed connection or trip interruption? Reading through the fine print is starting to confuse me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a good source

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-trip-delay-and-missed-connection-coverage/

Take special note of what kind of time delay the insurance company considers. Some require a minimum of a 4 hour delay, some require a 12 hour delay.

The missed connection also has to be for a covered reason. Bad planning is not a covered reason.

Also note that all travel insurance is reimbursement only. You miss the flight, you pay for new flights, hotels, and meals. Then you file a claim for reimbursement.

I'm trying to figure out which insurance to get. We have an early morning flight into miami (arrives at 8:20am) on same day as cruise, the only thing I'm worried about is the flight being delayed and missing the boat.

I see that missed connection will cover the airfare to catch up, which would be to Grand Cayman, but it's after 1 sea day. I would need hotels for 2 nights. What part covers the Hotel or does anything cover it?? still missed connection or trip interruption? Reading through the fine print is starting to confuse me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could be any/both/all of travel delay, missed connection, or trip interruption coverages depending on the plan and the circumstances. For example, the TravelSafe Classic plan had all three of those coverages.

The missed connection coverage is very flexible:

:MISSED CONNECTION

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination

is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:

a. any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the

Common Carrier);

b. documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the

point of departure;

c. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.

We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the

Confirmation of Benefits, for:

a. Your Additional Transportation Cost to join Your Trip; and

b. Your Prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel

Arrangements.

It only requires a three hour delay, covers ANY delay of the airline no matter whose fault, and a $2500 total benefit with no per day limit. But it won't cover additional hotel expenses.

The travel delay benefit may also apply:

"TRAVEL DELAY

Benefits will be paid for reasonable accommodation, meal and local

transportation expenses incurred by You, up to the Maximum Benefit

Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits, if You are delayed for 6

hours or more while en route to or from, or during Your Trip, due to:

a. any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the

Common Carrier);

b. lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be

substantiated by a police report);

c. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot;

d. a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the

point of departure."

So if the delay is the airline's fault the additional hotel, meals, etc would be covered here but there is a $150/day per person limit. And the delay has to be 6 hours or more.

So it's very possible that you'd have 2 claims -- one on the missed connection benefit for additional airfare and the value of the day(s) of the cruise you missed and one against the travel delay benefit for the hotel, meals, etc.

How this would actually be handled will be determined by the wording of your policy.

It's probably too late now, but the best insurance is always arriving the night before and staying at some cheap motel near the port.

It's all well and good if you get your expenses reimbursed (although reimbursement for the missed cruise days themselves are slotted under Trip Interruption, which often does not cover "any" delay), but nothing will replace those lost vacation days.

It's probably too late now, but the best insurance is always arriving the night before and staying at some cheap motel near the port.

It's all well and good if you get your expenses reimbursed (although reimbursement for the missed cruise days themselves are slotted under Trip Interruption, which often does not cover "any" delay), but nothing will replace those lost vacation days.

It is also probably cheaper than paying for insurance to cover it.

DON

Thank you all for the replies! I figured it out, it was under trip delay. I know getting in earlier and getting a hotel is a better safeguard but we didn't want to do that this time.

It is also probably cheaper than paying for insurance to cover it.

DON

Actually I don't get trip cancellation insurance included, so trip insurance was fairly cheap (15$ per person) and it covers enough for me to get hotels/flights. So it would suck to miss the sea days but it makes me feel 100x better knowing at least I can catch up to the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

This article explains IN TRIP coverages. http://blog.csatravelprotection.com/index.php/are-you-protected-what-travel-insurance-coverages-can-help-during-your-trip/

I understand some travel insurance companies do not sell just the post departure coverages (without trip cancellation) online so you need to call.

This is the case with CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION. You can call for their post departure coverges which do include trip interruption. and all other benefits of IN TRIP. You can buy the policy during your trip as well.

Check your credit card benefits. Some of the ones for "travelers" have some attractive benefits. I know I have made several comments on this but I had not bothered to check out those benefits and I have found they are going to save me major money on car rental CDW and could have been used for a stolen luggage on my last trip to Europe. Live and learn and pass it on.