Let's talk Turkey

Interesting and happy you have posted as we will be on the Eurodam in July overnighting in Istanbul as well.

Do you remember how much was the ship tour the first night ?

As for the second day you said you used the ships shuttle what is that ? Is it free ?

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

I just returned from a HAL cruise on the Eurodam. We overnighted in Istanbul. The first night we took a ship's tour to the Basilica Cistern, the Spice Market and the a boat trip up the Bosphorus. Unlike other ship tours, we did not wear stickers indicating we were part of a tour group. Clearly a safety and security measure. I never felt unsafe. Perhaps the most memorable moment was exiting the Cistern and hearing the haunting call to prayer come over the loudspeaker.

The next morning we took the ship's shuttle to a spot in between the Sultanahmet area and the Grand Bazaar. Though dressed respectfully, we clearly were not locals. We walked to Aya Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome, and Topkapi Palace. Then we returned to the shuttle point, where I continued by myself to the Grand Bazaar. It was a lovely walk to the Gate 1 entrance. I was greeted by shopkeepers and their employees, but never was harassed or harangued. It was around lunch time, so perhaps that is not representative of normal business. But I didn't get a sense that this was not normal.

What was evident wherever we went was that there were not many tourists around. We did run into groups of school children on class trips, who were eager to practice their English on us.

We also toured Ephesus with the Ephesus Deluxe company. Mr. Kose worked with us to customize our tour. We were not interested in a carpet making demonstration, but did want to visit an Iznik pottery craftsman, and Ipekevi, a shop outside the exit of ancient Ephesus that sells hand-embroidered 100% natural fabric clothing, and silk scarves - some of them are even hand-loomed. Ephesus is the most amazing place. I am still astounded that back in the first century A.D., a civilization used terra cotta pipes to transport fresh water to homes and public establishments. The mosaic walkways are still beautiful even after 2,000 years.

If you visit, be sure to hire a licensed guide. They have to complete a four-year program in order to be licensed. He took us to a pottery craftsman that had one line of products finished with a moonstone glaze. When the owner turned off the lights, the pottery glowed in the dark! It was spectacular. They had some very interesting designs, including some motifs dating back to the Hittite period.

I will be going back to Istanbul to spend more time in a beautiful city that is alive and full of interesting sights, sounds and smells. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Interesting and happy you have posted as we will be on the Eurodam in July overnighting in Istanbul as well.

Do you remember how much was the ship tour the first night ?

As for the second day you said you used the ships shuttle what is that ? Is it free ?

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

The ships tour was $85, but our cruise was only 2/3rds full. Not sure if that raised or lowered the price. And there is a part two of the ship's tour the following morning that we did not do. But if you do both, there might be a discount. Worth checking.

If you visit the Spice Bazaar find a place that sells dried fruit. We enjoyed the dried strawberries especially!

The shuttle was $10 for one round trip ticket. You walk out of the cruise terminal and the shuttles were waiting. And the shuttle drop off point is in between the Sultanahmet area and the Grand Bazaar.

Enjoy your visit. I can not wait to go back.

The ships tour was $85, but our cruise was only 2/3rds full. Not sure if that raised or lowered the price. And there is a part two of the ship's tour the following morning that we did not do. But if you do both, there might be a discount. Worth checking.

If you visit the Spice Bazaar find a place that sells dried fruit. We enjoyed the dried strawberries especially!

The shuttle was $10 for one round trip ticket. You walk out of the cruise terminal and the shuttles were waiting. And the shuttle drop off point is in between the Sultanahmet area and the Grand Bazaar.

Enjoy your visit. I can not wait to go back.

I would book a private tour rather than the ship tour. With 2 people the cost for a day shouldn't be that different and you will get personalized attention and not be with a lot of people on a big bus. Plus you can adjust the tour to see what you want and not be bound by a structured tour. There are many excellent guides there.

• 1 month later...

In light of the minor disturbances in Turkey over the weekend (the Coup, the retaliation for the Coup, etc. etc.)...As I've still got travel plans to Turkey this Fall (late Oct), anyone hear/read anything that indicates what might happen in the intermediate term?

Our plans were to fly to Istanbul from Washington (On Turkish Airways), stay a few days, then head to Barcelona to pick up the Carnival Vista.

In light of the minor disturbances in Turkey over the weekend (the Coup, the retaliation for the Coup, etc. etc.)...As I've still got travel plans to Turkey this Fall (late Oct), anyone hear/read anything that indicates what might happen in the intermediate term?

Our plans were to fly to Istanbul from Washington (On Turkish Airways), stay a few days, then head to Barcelona to pick up the Carnival Vista.

Have been anxiously awaiting any word from Princess as I am due to sail on September 10th on a 14 day cruise which includes Italy, Turkey and Greece. The itinerary includes 3 stops in Turkey.

I am now getting periodic updates from the US Department of State regarding travel in Turkey via this site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

You can also sign up with the State Department and register all the places you will be on a trip and they will send you warnings about an area if necessary. in order to get those notices, register for step as outlined in red below:

For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:

Hope all of this helps anyone traveling in Turkey in the next months.

Just noticed that you live in Washington, D.C. so may have already been aware of all the travel sites by the US State Department. Hopefully, it may be helpful to others who are monitoring this site too.

I do live in Washington DC, and of course have read the State Dept advisory...which is less helpful that CNN. "Avoid tourist areas," .. well, if I'm going to Istanbul to tourist, that would rather defeat the purpose of my trip?

Better indicators than the State Dept (I was in the US Marines for 31 years and sadly know State fairly well..) would be what the cruise lines are doing - some have cancelled iteniaries to Turkey after the airport bombing, wasn't sure how many more would be cancelled after the Coup attempt, but.. Viatour is offering 20% Turkey tours...