Let's talk Turkey

Where is the Istanbul Cruise Port? Can someone tell me about it, this is our first time to Istanbul. Is it easy to check in ect.

It's located in Karaköy & is easy to find (don't know where your particular ship will be docked). Have a look at the links below which includes helpful information & maps showing location of the port.

http://www.istanbul.com/en/explore/info/istanbul-cruise-ship-port

http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/08/istanbul-cruise-ship-port-and-visa-essentials/

It is my understanding that construction work is ongoing at the port.

Edited by dogs4fun

Do I presume that you're flying in to Istanbul & embarking there?

If so you will need a visa, get it on-line via the Turkish govt website

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Two major airports for Istanbul, from either to the cruise port or a city hotel a pre-booked private transfer is best.

The cruise port is located on the northern shore of the Golden Horn, between the Galata Bridge & where the Golden Horn flows into the Bosphorus. The main entrance & ramshackle cruise terminal used to be at the Galata Bridge end, but the new entrance & spanking new cruise terminal are now at the Bosphorus end. There is still building work going on with an associated shopping centre, upgrades to the quayside etc.

Dial TDİ AŞ Yönetim Kurulu Başkanlığı into googlemaps for the exact location.

Was a very easy process. Sorry but don't know how easy the process is now, and be wary of info from others like me who've not been there since the change.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

As an update Seabourn's first cruise of the season to disembark and embark passengers in Istanbul did so safely and without out issue. This past Saturday. Passengers who spent a couple of days in the city before embarking mentioned that sadly they had been told tourism was down by some accounts as much as 70 percent. What a shame. I will provide a firsthand update when we board in just over three weeks.

As an update Seabourn's first cruise of the season to disembark and embark passengers in Istanbul did so safely and without out issue. This past Saturday. Passengers who spent a couple of days in the city before embarking mentioned that sadly they had been told tourism was down by some accounts as much as 70 percent. What a shame. I will provide a firsthand update when we board in just over three weeks.

Hi,

There are 10 of us scheduled on a Princess ship in September that includes Greece, Italy and Turkey. Some of my friends are apprehensive about going to Turkey. Our final payment is due soon and if you hear any information about trouble in Turkey for cruise ship passengers, would you pass it along please?

Yes, I certainly will. And after we board I will post my impressions of this visit to Istanbul versus previous visits and what sort of added security etc. we run into at the port.

Thank you so much. Will be looking forward to your posts and impressions.

So hope Princess does not drop turkey, due in Istanbul on 6-9 and Kusdesi the day before. To me a highlight of the trip. If you have fears for a given area I would drop the trip but life is still an adventure and just have to remain vigilant wherever you are.

So hope Princess does not drop turkey, due in Istanbul on 6-9 and Kusdesi the day before. To me a highlight of the trip. If you have fears for a given area I would drop the trip but life is still an adventure and just have to remain vigilant wherever you are.

So very very true

Just returned from cruise on HAL's new Koningsdam. We spent overnight in Istanbul. There was some concern whether we would go or not. Decision was made to go after being advised by State Dept and European agencies. We felt there was good security at the port and in the city. Never felt concerned as we toured the city. Our tour guides were most thankful that we had come. We were the 1st cruise ship since October and their economy has been deeply effected by the downturn in tourism.

Just returned from cruise on HAL's new Koningsdam. We spent overnight in Istanbul. There was some concern whether we would go or not. Decision was made to go after being advised by State Dept and European agencies. We felt there was good security at the port and in the city. Never felt concerned as we toured the city. Our tour guides were most thankful that we had come. We were the 1st cruise ship since October and their economy has been deeply effected by the downturn in tourism.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am going to share with my group on Sunday when we have a meeting regarding going over cruise/tour details. Really appreciate your input.

Thanks for posting this. I feel so sad for the poor Turkish people who are being so impacted by this situation. I have plans for spending 5 nights in Istanbul before a cruise in October and I do not intend to cancel unless the State department forbids it! But I will be vigilant not stupid and avoid obvious potential areas for conflict and demonstrators.

We were in Istanbul last week prior to flying to Rome for our Royal Caribbean cruise. We noticed Eurodam was in port overnight and we were so jealous that RCI has dropped Istanbul (for only the time being, I hope). We wandered all over the city at will and felt perfectly safe. People were very kind and welcoming. There is a strong police presence but it felt unobtrusive. Not the least bit scary. The city is so quiet compared to our visit last year. It's plain as the nose on your face that tourists are staying away. I hope they start coming back. We had an incredible visit!

Any other thoughts on this? We actually need a hotel for 3 nights in October (2016); we're stopping over in Istanbul enroute to pick up the Carnival Vista in Barcelona (and oddly enough, the cheapest airfare was Turkish Airlines, who offered stopovers in Istanbul from Dulles to Barcelona).

So I'm not worried about being near the cruise port; just looking for a good place to tourist from.

Look at the Sirkecki Mansion. We stayed there last fall and will be there again in two weeks. They have a rooftop deck that overlooks the park and across the water (in the distance we could see the cruise ships) They are located on a quiet street at the northern edge of the Sultanahmet convenient for walking to all the tourist sites in the area, near a tram stop and the train station, .and the Galata Bridge The service was outstanding. They will arrange transportation from the airport so you can avoid taking a taxi.

Look at the Sirkecki Mansion. We stayed there last fall and will be there again in two weeks. They have a rooftop deck that overlooks the park and across the water (in the distance we could see the cruise ships) They are located on a quiet street at the northern edge of the Sultanahmet convenient for walking to all the tourist sites in the area, near a tram stop and the train station, .and the Galata Bridge The service was outstanding. They will arrange transportation from the airport so you can avoid taking a taxi.

Another big thumbs up for the Sirkeci Mansion from someone who is very picky about hotels. This is without question one of my favorite hotels in Europe. Free transfer from the airport if you book 3+ nights and a 10% discount for paying in cash ($,€, or £). Plus they have some great free private tours around the city not offered by other hotels. I am also staying there in October prior to a cruise on Celebrity.

Edited by ptrpanpens

After and all day private food walking tour I took the complimentary cooking class offered by the hotel in their kitchen. It was great fun (we made a Turkish stew) but I was so full from eating all day I passed on dining at the end of the class and went up to to rooftop bar to join my DH and enjoy a bottle of wine and the lovely dusk scenery. Very much looking forward to going back shortly.

I just returned from a HAL cruise on the Eurodam. We overnighted in Istanbul. The first night we took a ship's tour to the Basilica Cistern, the Spice Market and the a boat trip up the Bosphorus. Unlike other ship tours, we did not wear stickers indicating we were part of a tour group. Clearly a safety and security measure. I never felt unsafe. Perhaps the most memorable moment was exiting the Cistern and hearing the haunting call to prayer come over the loudspeaker.

The next morning we took the ship's shuttle to a spot in between the Sultanahmet area and the Grand Bazaar. Though dressed respectfully, we clearly were not locals. We walked to Aya Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome, and Topkapi Palace. Then we returned to the shuttle point, where I continued by myself to the Grand Bazaar. It was a lovely walk to the Gate 1 entrance. I was greeted by shopkeepers and their employees, but never was harassed or harangued. It was around lunch time, so perhaps that is not representative of normal business. But I didn't get a sense that this was not normal.

What was evident wherever we went was that there were not many tourists around. We did run into groups of school children on class trips, who were eager to practice their English on us.

We also toured Ephesus with the Ephesus Deluxe company. Mr. Kose worked with us to customize our tour. We were not interested in a carpet making demonstration, but did want to visit an Iznik pottery craftsman, and Ipekevi, a shop outside the exit of ancient Ephesus that sells hand-embroidered 100% natural fabric clothing, and silk scarves - some of them are even hand-loomed. Ephesus is the most amazing place. I am still astounded that back in the first century A.D., a civilization used terra cotta pipes to transport fresh water to homes and public establishments. The mosaic walkways are still beautiful even after 2,000 years.

If you visit, be sure to hire a licensed guide. They have to complete a four-year program in order to be licensed. He took us to a pottery craftsman that had one line of products finished with a moonstone glaze. When the owner turned off the lights, the pottery glowed in the dark! It was spectacular. They had some very interesting designs, including some motifs dating back to the Hittite period.

I will be going back to Istanbul to spend more time in a beautiful city that is alive and full of interesting sights, sounds and smells. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited by cat shepard
Misspelled last name.

Thank you for your updated report in Istanbul. Yes, good time for a tourist to keep a low profile. Unfortunately the good news for us tourists about fewer of our kind to crowd the streets and tourists areas is terrible news for th people of this city. I was also enthralled by the the Cistern the first time we visited. We were lucky enough to attend a chamber music recital there -- the acoustics were amazing.