Viking Excursions vs. Azamara

2Bmusic!

Howdy,

I am close to making a decision between Viking and Azamara for a Mediterranean or Greek Isles cruise for this summer. The advantage with Viking appears to be the free excursions, but only if they are good! Could anyone tell me how Viking excursions stack up against Azamara?

Thank you for any advice you offer.

We've been on European cruises with Azamara and Viking and I'd say the excursions are on par. Mixed bag really. We had some excellent tours and some mediocre ones on both lines. Depending on how popular a tour is, Azamara can pack a bus just as full as any mainstream cruise (though that's not the norm). Viking can do the same. On the whole, however, I'd say that Azamara and Viking offer interesting and worthwhile excursions. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in choosing one over the other. We enjoyed each.

One thing to note. I don't know if you're considering an itinerary that takes you to Spain. In Barcelona, Azamara uses the World Trade Centre dock at the foot of Las Ramblas whereas Viking docks at Moll Adossat which is considerably further away, requiring transportation to get into the city. Azamara is the clear winner in this case.

One thing to note. I don't know if you're considering an itinerary that takes you to Spain. In Barcelona, Azamara uses the World Trade Centre dock at the foot of Las Ramblas whereas Viking docks at Moll Adossat which is considerably further away, requiring transportation to get into the city.

We're on the Viking Star, having embarked at Barcelona on 4/17. On this voyage, she was docked at World Trade Centre.

I am so happy to hear the Star went to the World Trade Centre!!! That is the best news. It was very disappointing to have been at the same pier as the big ships use. So out of the way. And part of the reason of cruising on smaller ships that Viking and Azamara offer is that you get that much closer to the action.

There was some uncertainty re the location of the Star in Barcelona. Our Viking tickets (the Cruise Document package) stated the location for embarkation was Moll Adossat. On the same page was a little map with an icon of a ship at the WTC. Upon arrival in BCN, I used VesselFinder to find out where she was really moored so I could tell the taxi driver where to take us.

There was some uncertainty re the location of the Star in Barcelona. Our Viking tickets (the Cruise Document package) stated the location for embarkation was Moll Adossat. On the same page was a little map with an icon of a ship at the WTC. Upon arrival in BCN, I used VesselFinder to find out where she was really moored so I could tell the taxi driver where to take us.

Let's hope World Trade Centre is a permanent thing with Viking. We started our cruise in Barcelona and departed the next day. If we'd have been closer, we would have been able to have gone out for a quick stroll in the evening after dinner but it really wasn't worth the trouble being at Moll Adossat. Bummer! Now if I were faced with a choice between Azamara and Viking in Barcelona and it were an overnight, whoever was in a better parking spot would get my business. ;)

Let's hope World Trade Centre is a permanent thing with Viking. We started our cruise in Barcelona and departed the next day. If we'd have been closer, we would have been able to have gone out for a quick stroll in the evening after dinner but it really wasn't worth the trouble being at Moll Adossat. Bummer! Now if I were faced with a choice between Azamara and Viking in Barcelona and it were an overnight, whoever was in a better parking spot would get my business. ;)

Yes, but parking spaces are at the discretion of the port authority. They cannot be guaranteed and can change without notice. So, you could be disappointed no matter which cruise line you choose.

As Peregrina mentioned, it's up to the port to assign docking locations. Often it depends upon how many ships are in port that day, and the size and times. Occasionally it gets changed the night before you're there! Don't worry, though - vendors will find you, or you'll find a way to get into town!

In many cases, you can find a port website that lists where each ship is scheduled to dock, although that is always subject to change, and occasionally does. Some other port websites list what ships are coming and the hours, but not what berth has been assigned. I don't remember if Barcelona's website has docking locations listed, but if it does, it will help give you an idea of how easy or hard it will be to get out and sightsee.

Occasionally the port website will also give you an idea of whether the port or city offers a shuttle into town.