I'm Far More Concerned About This Than The Bus And Ferry Situation

njhorseman

Daytime armed robbery of a jewelry store located in an arcade off Front St. in Hamilton:

http://www.royalgazette.com/crime/article/20160428/armed-robbers-strike-at-front-street-store

http://bernews.com/2016/04/robbery-business-front-street/

One of the many reasons we have been regular visitors to Bermuda for almost 30 years is the feeling of safety and comfort we've had travelling around the country on our own, particularly in daytime. Not that Bermuda was crime free...but an armed robbery at mid day in one of the busiest main business and tourist areas of Bermuda ? Never...or at least I don't remember any. About the worst thing you'd hear about that would concern a tourist in the past was a purse snatching from a tourist on a scooter by someone riding a much faster motor bike. Most other crime seemed to take place after dark in areas not frequented by visitors.

Edited by njhorseman

Oh dear, here's # 3 earlier this afternoon - two male riding a motorcycle, helmet with dark visor, firearm displayed - on the North Shore - as it was raining too http://bernews.com/2016/05/armed-robbery-t-peugeot-north-shore/

Police are investigating & asking for public's help ... could be the same team / pair. No leads or arrests so far. If I recall, surely NJH can confirm this, BDA policeman do not patrol or walk the beats with firearm - just like the British, except for specialized officers trained to respond.

Not good for the island's image and for public safety, unlike here in big cities in the Americas where it's a more common encounter ... and, how did this pair manage to get their hands onto the island in the middle of the Atlantic, as I thought they have very strict gun laws :confused:

Edited by mking8288

Oh dear, here's # 3 earlier this afternoon - two male riding a motorcycle, helmet with dark visor, firearm displayed - on the North Shore - as it was raining too http://bernews.com/2016/05/armed-robbery-t-peugeot-north-shore/

Police are investigating & asking for public's help ... could be the same team / pair. No leads or arrests so far. If I recall, surely NJH can confirm this, BDA policeman do not patrol or walk the beats with firearm - just like the British, except for specialized officers trained to respond.

Not good for the island's image and for public safety, unlike here in big cities in the Americas where it's a more common encounter ... and, how did this pair manage to get their hands onto the island in the middle of the Atlantic, as I thought they have very strict gun laws :confused:

The police don't carry but they have armed response teams. Surely the same robbers. They will get caught. Too Brazen. Maybe not in the act but someone will squeal on them.

No doubt drugs have something to do with this. It usually does.

As to how they got the guns, smuggled in. Maybe on a cruise ship. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! Was so excited about visiting Bermuda because of how safe visitors said it was. Had no worry about taking the bus or ferry. Now I am a little worried. Was looking forward to visiting an Island and feeling safe.

Oh no! Was so excited about visiting Bermuda because of how safe visitors said it was. Had no worry about taking the bus or ferry. Now I am a little worried. Was looking forward to visiting an Island and feeling safe.

I wouldn't worry about taking the buses and ferries. I can't recall ever hearing of a crime being committed on them.

You have to understand that the reason these incidents are shocking is because they're so rare. Bermuda is certainly safer than just about anywhere you could name.

Bermuda is very safe for visitors. You don't have to worry about taking the bus or ferry. You should not worry about visiting and feeling safe. To date there is a remarkable lack of crime against tourists in Bermuda. I have visited many countries and Bermuda is the safest! Other countries I have to guard against pickpockets or skimmers in ATM machines. Not in Bermuda. Also none will bother you on the beach trying to sell you crap or toe massages. No place is totally safe, hopefully these robbers are not the canary in the coal mine, Diamonds International coming concerns me more about their future. You should still be excited and feel safe there.

Edited by Charles4515

• 1 month later...