Colosseum at night tour question

lightsleeper

Arriving in Rome on a Monday after an overnight flight from the states.

Want to do the underground tour of the Colosseum

Since we are departing Rome on Thursday, the only "evening" tours are on Monday night.

Wondering if anyone has done this on their arrival day to Rome..Will we be too jet lagged to enjoy the tour?

I know I can get daytime tours of the underground, which would be the fall back option

The nighttime tour sound intriguing ...

Thanks for your suggestions

Is your goal to go when you can see less, rather than more?

Having been in the underground areas of several Roman amphitheaters, I can assure you that this will be the case if you go in the evening. Can't imagine, speaking for myself, why one would want to do it... Is there some advantage I'm unaware of?

The natural light adds a lot. Lighting at night leaves a lot to be desired. (These spaces were originally not intended to be used at night; the games held there took place during daylight hours...)

Sorry if I sounded brusque before. I am just shaking my head at some of the tours that are offered -- recently we learned there is rafting on the Tiber as well. :rolleyes:

Since we are departing Rome on Thursday, the only "evening" tours are on Monday night.

Wondering if anyone has done this on their arrival day to Rome..Will we be too jet lagged to enjoy the tour?

I know I can get daytime tours of the underground, which would be the fall back option

Years ago (so many that I don't wish to share), on our first trip to Rome, we took a tour of the city at night on the day we arrived. We enjoyed seeing the city at night with the monuments aglow & visiting piazza Navona - for us it was magical, relaxing & kept us occupied until we went back to our hotel to finally catch some zzzzzz's (we stay up local time & retire at our normal hour(s) to quickly adjust to the time difference).

Since I am a bit of a history buff & love all things relating to ancient Greek & Roman history ... even if the underground tour at night was the same as the day tour (which, it appears, it is not), I would never consider visiting an important historical site I had never before visited on my arrival day. After the long flight (with little or no sleep) we feel "hung over" and, although we do enjoy activities on our day of arrival, it just isn't the same as activities enjoyed after a good nights sleep.

We are also arriving in Rome on a Monday after an overnight flight. We get in at 9:45 am Rome time, 3:45 am east coast time. We booked a 3 hour walking tour at 3:30 figuring that an arrival at 9:45 would put us at the hotel around 11:30 or noon, we'd have a bite, hopefully get in to the room, but if not, we'd have a coffee and find the meeting point. A 3 1/2 hour walking tour would allow us to see the common sites and keep us awake.

I had scheduled a walking tour of the Travestere area for Tuesday night, with a dinner in a private villa. But due to the way the tours were scheduled, we are seeing the Colosseum and the Forum Tuesday morning and the catacombs and crypts Tuesday afternoon, and I think that's too much for one day.

I'm wondering if I should reschedule that for Monday night, but I think we may be dead on our feet by then. It's not offered on Weds. And we are leaving for the port on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are also arriving in Rome on a Monday after an overnight flight. We get in at 9:45 am Rome time, 3:45 am east coast time. We booked a 3 hour walking tour at 3:30 figuring that an arrival at 9:45 would put us at the hotel around 11:30 or noon, we'd have a bite, hopefully get in to the room, but if not, we'd have a coffee and find the meeting point. A 3 1/2 hour walking tour would allow us to see the common sites and keep us awake.

I had scheduled a walking tour of the Travestere area for Tuesday night, with a dinner in a private villa. But due to the way the tours were scheduled, we are seeing the Colosseum and the Forum Tuesday morning and the catacombs and crypts Tuesday afternoon, and I think that's too much for one day.

I'm wondering if I should reschedule that for Monday night, but I think we may be dead on our feet by then. It's not offered on Weds. And we are leaving for the port on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't do it on the day you arrive. You might be okay but (especially if you have the afternoon tour) you are likely to be beat. Same goes for Tuesday. Your schedule is leaving me exhausted!

If you have the time and energy on any given evening, just go to Trastevere and walk around. (And..... it doesn't have to be evening, although it's pleasant to eat there.)

Here's one walking tour of Trastevere: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/705670

(although you should note it's best done during the day due to the number of churches and museums you might want to step into.)