Just booked my first SOLO and first NCL on Escape 7/31!

Victorious8

So I finally committed, I bought plane tickets and everything so my bar trip is definitely happening!

This is my first solo cruise (staying in a studio) and my first cruise without my large family. While I am young (turning 28 days after the cruise) I love cruising and I felt like this would be such a relaxing, easy planning trip. It will be coming after the hardest year of my education and a summer studying for the dreaded CA bar (and the start of the almost 4 months I will need to wait before getting my results).

I think I will enjoy myself even though I will be alone. I am crazy outgoing and I love to drink. So at a minimum I will just become best friends with all the bar staff. The only thing I am bummed about right now is not having anyone to gush about my excitement and ideas, hence why I am posting.

I *think* I will do a live thread. I figure I will probably want the internet so I can connect with friends back home if I can't find any on the ship. Expect it to interesting, could potentially rival theDougOut thread. I might even try to win the contest at "home", I wonder if a woman has ever won?

I will be flying in the day of (direct flight and gets in at 6am so I will have plenty of time to figure out a back up plan in case of delays. Since I will be there SO early I might even try for Vibe passes! I'll be staying post cruise in Miami until the 10th so I can catch my Giants playing the Marlins on my birthday!

Does anyone have advice for me on what to expect? Anyone else in my age range (or have cruised with someone) and want to give me feedback/ideas? Anyone have any advice about excursions? I am pretty fearless and active. We will be going to Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel (went here once, it was one of the most ridiculously drunk days of a cruise and one of my favorite stories).

Also if anyone else wants to just talk and get hyped with me I would love that! :D:D:D

Hello, I am going on the Escape as well on December 17th- I did a few solo cruises on NCL and had a blast. I attended the solo gathering and made friends there as well as at the music venues I played piano at.

The age range of the solos from my cruises went from high 20's to low 70's with I think the majority late 30's to late 50's. I was in the middle.

I would recommend attending the first few solo gatherings and not booking any 7pm shows in the event you want to eat with others at that time.

Do you have the UBP?

Dougout's review was the best ever. He needed to ask others where he was at specific times LOL.

I only did eastern caribbean and bermuda so don't know about the ports though.

Not your age by any stretch, but I did take my daughter on a Bermuda cruise 7 years ago to celebrate her taking the bar exam. She literally took the 3 day exam and we left the next day for New York.

I cruise solo often. If you are outgoing you will do just fine. She thought she would worry about her results the whole time but she did not. She had a job clerking till her exams were in and an attorney job in the same firm if she passed. She Passed!

Anyway, join the roll call, buy yourself some fun stuff for the cruise, keep posting and be sure to hit those solo gatherings. Get on the ship early as possible. Above all, have fun! You've had years of hard work.

My son lives near SF but I don't know anything about the California Bar but I know they are all very, very tough.

I just got off the Escape a week ago and stayed in the studios. Sharon is the studio host and is so sweet and does a great job.

One of the benefits is she can coordinate dinners with other solos, if you are interested. She also books shows for those interested. Plus you get special seating for shows.

The VIBE is also an awesome place to just relax and get away from the craziness of the main areas. The service there is also top notch.

My only advice is go to the first solo meeting, usually at 6 pm. Saturday it will be in Tobacco Road, there after, in the studio lounge.

The lounge has a great coffee machine and fruit, cookies and other treats.

Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hello!!

I totally understand where you're coming from. I too recently booked a trip for June 5 on the Getaway in a studio cabin. It will be my first solo cruise and my first cruise on NCL.

I feel like I can relate to you as this will be a celebratory trip for me as well since I will have just finished my articling term in Ontario and I will return from the cruise just in time to get called to the bar (provided I remain of good character between now and then haha)! I'm not sure how it works in California, is that one of the states where there is no need to article? Or will you be starting articling soon? (not to get too off topic!)

On a more cruise related note, it looks like your itinerary will be similar to mine. Have you been planning your excursions yet? I'd be happy to give you some insight, especially once I've actually been on the cruise!

Thanks for the responses so far! It's nice to have something to look forward to since I don't have a job yet. Well, I have a volunteer opportunity that I am excited about but with the type of law I want to practice, most places won't accept applications until you have passed the bar. In CA the process is you submit a ton of information for the character part of the exam during the last year of law school, then the exam is three days in July and results aren't scheduled to be released until mid November. CA has the lowest pass rates but this may be because you can take the exam without going to a law school or an ABA accredited law school.

Dougout's was great so I hope mine can be on par. I am a legendary snapchater, I have had some very memorable snapchat stories throughout the years. I'll probably post my username in my live thread :)

Thanks for the suggestion on booking later shows! 92 days away so I can start booking those things soon. Speaking of which if I did want to do dinners alone do you have to sit at a table by yourself? Is there a bar area or someplace else? I don't mind eating alone (I've basically always been single and i like going to eat at nice places) but I hate when people look at me with a punch of pity if I am by myself.

Also yes I have UBP, kinda bummed I lost my SDP when I switched cruises I decided to do this one because seeing the Giants on my birthday in a new stadium is going to be amazing, I am obsessed with Bruce Bochy and want to get my jersey with his name on it signed (see below). I'm pretty stoked to have the post cruise plans so hopefully it will make getting off the ship not as sad.

For those who have done solo trips before, did you regret booking excursions before the cruise? Would you rather have hung out with the people you met on the ship?

For anyone who knows the ports, I want to do some type of zip lining or tubing thing but I am not really sure which one to do. I'll spend tonight putting off studying to research those :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=384071&stc=1&d=1462077124

12347991_10206841576051705_6818766889709116781_n.jpg.e976227902cfa52a486a6e44bc1f495c.jpg

I've taken two solo's now and the first I only booked an excursion for Tortola, to the Virgin Gorda Baths. The other two days I stayed on the ship. The second most recent cruise, I just winged it and made plans with others.

If you want to go to a popular place such as Jost Van Dyke, I would book soon. You will always find others that are going or meet people there.

As to dining, you can sit my yourself and no one will look at you, like they do on land. Thats one of the beauties of the cruise life and the freestyle that Norwegian offers. I will bet though that you won't have to many meals by yourself! I did eat breakfast and lunch by myself on occasion both in the MDR, O'sheehans and once in the buffet. Dinners there were always new people to dine with or the solo group who on my cruise were a blast.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Are you on your ROLL CALL?? Are people arranging independent tours and asking for people to join in? OR you can see what others are doing and book with the same company.

You will also find others sailing in the studios/solo and get to know them before the cruise as well. Have fun!

Are you on your ROLL CALL?? Are people arranging independent tours and asking for people to join in? OR you can see what others are doing and book with the same company.

You will also find others sailing in the studios/solo and get to know them before the cruise as well. Have fun!

Our role call is super dead unfortunately!

What made you choose Caribbean over the med?

Isnt august hurricane and rainy season for the Caribbean :confused:

I almost booked the med but changed my mind for a few reasons. 1. I did a grand Med six years ago and was fortunate enough to have my Nana pay for EVERYTHING so we did all of full day tours so I have already seen most it. 2. After the year I have had I just want to RELAX and not feel like I really need to do much. 3. I am that big of a baseball fan and being able to cross another stadium off my list is important to me. 4. European cruise crowds are generally older from my experiences. 5. For the aforementioned reasons the extra price for the plane ticket did not seem worth it! Also I really like all of the features on the Escape.

Just bumping because I am really excited and wanted to take a break from my 40 page paper on Capitalism! I can't believe I graduate in a week, I feel like this vacation will be here before no time!!!!

Also from what I understand I shouldn't bother booking any shows or dinners correct? The solo coordinator can do all that?

Solo coordinator can book you with the group.

I did solo in February on Breakaway & had the most amazing trip. I joined the roll call which was quiet at first but gathered steam closer to sailing and went to the solo meets.

Just reading your personality though your posts I know you will have an awesome cruise!

I almost always vacation solo, and have a great time every time. It's all in what you put into the experience, and someone as obviously extroverted, smart and funny as you will have no problems.

I did a similar cruise a few years ago to the western Caribbean; I loved the Mexican ruins at Tulum (reachable from Cozumel), but that may not be for everyone. Scuba diving in Belize was also fantastic - the second largest barrier reef in the world. The fish and other animals were breathtaking, and as it was a beginner's scuba, you were pretty much taught everything you need to know (you just don't go that deep). It doesn't look like you're going to the Caymans, which is too bad; I did a "Swim with Rays and Dolphins" thing there that was pretty cool, too.

Mostly, though, kick back with a fruity drink (something blue!), a good book, and a bottle of SPF 30 and relax!

What made you choose Caribbean over the med?

Isnt august hurricane and rainy season for the Caribbean :confused:

I almost always vacation solo, and have a great time every time. It's all in what you put into the experience, and someone as obviously extroverted, smart and funny as you will have no problems.

I did a similar cruise a few years ago to the western Caribbean; I loved the Mexican ruins at Tulum (reachable from Cozumel), but that may not be for everyone. Scuba diving in Belize was also fantastic - the second largest barrier reef in the world. The fish and other animals were breathtaking, and as it was a beginner's scuba, you were pretty much taught everything you need to know (you just don't go that deep). It doesn't look like you're going to the Caymans, which is too bad; I did a "Swim with Rays and Dolphins" thing there that was pretty cool, too.

Mostly, though, kick back with a fruity drink (something blue!), a good book, and a bottle of SPF 30 and relax!

Oh yeah I should probably mention I am deathly afraid of fish! I tried to get over it when I was in the Cayman Islands (did a power snorkel) and while I did have a meltdown it did not do much to help my fear. They still really freak me out!

Bumping to announce I finished my LAST FINAL EVER today, and received one grade back, 99% (she doesn't give A+'s anyways oh and it was an MSW class not law school).

Still left: 9ish pages of my paper for my seminar on Capitalism. The page MINIMUM is 40. It has turned into my own personal feminist manifesto despite the class being taught but a capitalist and being the only female in the class :D

I found a couple things- I booked a solo meal on the Epic but then changed it to the last night as I wanted to eat with a group. I wouldn't book a 7pm show , but I don't think it's bad to book a 10pm show maybe later in the week.

Also, if you are going to Tortola I wouldn't book anything late the night before.

I went on my birthday and the last night they had a dinner for me which was nice (on the Breakaway)

Did you have both the UBP and SDP and then you changed sailings?

I have both on mine and am reluctant to change from a studio as i don't want to lose either promo.

In fact, my Studio has gone up close to $300 since I booked and there aren't promotions as desirable.

My recommendation would be to ask around at the solo gathering if anyone is interested in having dinner at any of the specialty restaurants. Some people prefer to eat at them vs. others who like the MDR's.

@Buchman: About how many people participated in the solo gatherings?

I am planning on booking the Escape to Joost Van Dyke as soon as it is available. For St Thomas I was going to do the Kon Tiki as I did Magen's Bay last time.

Not sure if NCL offers these excursions but Tabayana Beach in Roatan has amazing coral you can snorkel to right off the beach. Plus when you need a break there is full bar and food right there.

Favorite in Cozumel is to take Twistex boats to isla passion. We go there on RCL so again not sure if Norwegian can get you there but it is amazing. This is one of the islands they film the Corona commercials... It's that nice...

Not a fan of Belize, They are making Harvest Caye because Belize is not a great stop but I don't think it's open yet. If anything scuba or snorkel in Belize as it is world class.

I think those are your stops, if I have it wrong let me know!!

Have fun!!!

Bumping to announce I finished my LAST FINAL EVER today, and received one grade back, 99% (she doesn't give A+'s anyways oh and it was an MSW class not law school).

Congrats! I can already tell that your review is going to be great.

Great Thread!

Victorious8 you are on the cruise after mine, and I am so bummed. I am also traveling solo and although much older (53) I can tell we would have had a blast.

I am a frequent business traveler so I don't have any fear about eating alone. I have learned that people are so wrapped up in their own stuff they don't pay any attention to others. Relax and enjoy the experience!

I agree with the comment about Tabayana Beach in Roaton. Been there twice and it's amazing.