Disney Wonder on CDC List - 4/27 - 5/1

got4boys

Once in a while I check the CDC list - Vessel Sanitation Program - to see what ships has had Outbreaks.

I was surprised that the Disney Wonder on the most recent trip - 4/27 - 5/1.

Of course - the press release is not out yet..

Here is the info from the cdc site.

Outbreak Updates for International Cruise Ships

Investigation Update on the Disney Wonder

Cruise Line: Disney Cruise Line

Cruise Ship: Disney Wonder

Voyage Dates: April 27 - May 1, 2016

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 92 of 2679 (3.43%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 5 of 991 (0.5%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting

Causative agent: Unknown

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Disney Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,

Collecting emesis and stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing at CDC,

Making multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,

Preparing the infection control turnaround sanitation barrier for the disembarkation Sunday, May 1, 2016 in Miami, FL and submitting to the VSP for review,

Sent additional medical, hotel, and sanitation personnel to oversee and assist with implementation of the sanitation and outbreak response procedures.

A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer is making plans to board the ship upon arrival in the port of Miami on May 1, 2016 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.

This was reported a couple days ago in another thread in less detail. Any time the illness rate exceeds 3% in either guests or crew, a report to the CDC is required.

At least you know that DCL complies with the regulations. Many years ago, they took the ships out of service for a week for intensive cleaning (not required to do so, but DCL opted for this). Now they generally clean as much as possible during the cruise, then bring extra personnel on board to clean during turn over and typically board a bit late for the next cruise.

They also take actions during the cruise like having CMs serve at the buffet rather than having guests touch any food containers.

BUT the best protection is still good hand washing with soap. Most GI illnesses are transmitted from hand to mouth. If you don't have it on your hands, you can't put it into your mouth!

Edited by moki'smommy

9:18 and she is underway.

Word on the DIS is that someone packed their medication in their luggage and it was dropped into the water so the prescription needs to be refilled.

If your life depends on your meds, do not be an idiot and pack them in your luggage!

ex techie

Luggage dropped in the water? Really? I wouldn't be at all happy if that happened to my stuff. Most suitcases are not waterproof.

But people can be really dumb. Meds need to be in your carry on or purse in case your luggage is lost!

I'm sure the Guest's, DCL and the port agency are not happy either!

But as you know, no cruise line loads their own baggage on to their ships from the pier. That is unionized and the stevedore's do as they wish, act as they want or your job does not get done. Complain and they won't work for you.

ex techie

This is one reason why I hate the handing out of the sanitizer wipes. They are basically just for show. If the primary worry is norovirus, then hand sanitizers are almost completely ineffective. However, it makes people think they can skip hand washing because they know they're gonna get a wipe "that kills everything" as soon as they walk into a dining area.

Hand washing can't be replaced.

There was another vessel effected that week. The *Balmoral*, of Fred Olsen Line, small ship, only 900 guests, but 163 guests effected or 17.7%.

This one faded out of the news fast, likely because it did not have the name *Disney* on it.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

This is one reason why I hate the handing out of the sanitizer wipes. They are basically just for show. If the primary worry is norovirus, then hand sanitizers are almost completely ineffective. However, it makes people think they can skip hand washing because they know they're gonna get a wipe "that kills everything" as soon as they walk into a dining area.

Hand washing can't be replaced.

Actually the hand sanitizers onboard the ships are specially formulated to combat the norovirus and are completely different than what is available to consumers at retail stores, which is not effective against the norovirus. But as you said, hand washing is the gold standard for prevention, but the sanitizer onboard is also effective as well.

Edited by Steelers0854

There was another vessel effected that week. The *Balmoral*' date=' of Fred Olsen Line, small ship, only 900 guests, but 163 guests effected or 17.7%.

This one faded out of the news fast, likely because it did not have the name *Disney* on it.

AKK[/quote']

Saw that on one of the major network news shows. But as you said, not the Disney name, so not a huge deal. And you have to consider that on any line, for every guest who reports to medical, there may be 2 more who don't report as ill!

Edited by moki'smommy

Carnival would get a lot of air time to. Rccl would add well on the East coast do to the ship that had to return to NJ because they sailed into a massive storm off of NC.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

About the outbreak, I just got back from a week on the Disney Magic and we seemed to have quite a few sick people too. My granddaughter got sick at the character breakfast and we rushed her out. Then my daughter was sick two days later. I got queasy the day after that but not as bad. I talked to several others who also were ill but did not report it, so I don't think that a lot of sick people even got got counted. One thing that I noticed when first on board was that they were letting people serve themselves at the first day buffet and later at breakfasts. Most places, ships and restaurants, do not allow that anymore as germs spread hand to spoon to hand etc. Around the middle of the week, they stopped that practice and would not allow us to touch the spoons........they served us which I think should have been the practice all along.