Ocean bar / Explorer's lounge

While waiting for my cruise next fall I have been thinking about the things I don't know about HAL ships. Other than location, is what are the differences between the Ocean bar and the Explorer's lounge?

Marcia

Ocean Bar is a regular bar and lounge area where there is also dancing and the live "Hal Cats" or "Neptunes" (???) musical ensemble - nice middle of the road ball room dancing and listening music. Lots of windows - good place to meet and gather even when the bar is not open. Seems to be the ritual place for before dinner drinks.

Explorers Lounge is a quieter venue and serves "enhanced" coffees in the evening though you can also order from a drink menu too. This is where they have the classical music "Adagio" - piano/violin - evening performances. It also gets used during the day for other activities. But when not used, it becomes a lovely place to sit and read with comfortable couches and chairs in a more elegant setting.

On embarkation day we first go to the Explorer's Lounge because this is where you can check your dinner seating table number and make any changes with the maitre d' who is stationed there that day, if changes are possible.

Psssst ...... the Explorers Lounge is also where they have plates of complimentary chocolates in the evening, but don't tell anyone because they are quickly gone.

From what I've heard, the Ocean Bar on Koningsdam is different as it only has a pianist (not a small band). So if you're looking for a place to dance this bar unfortunately won't be the same experience as on other HAL ships.

Ols Salt, learned something very helpful in your third paragraph. This July on Westerdam we are waitlisted for late set seating With Inspirations Group on board, good chance this will not change. This will be the location to address the issue. Many Thanks.