Ft Lauderdale Beach Hotel 1 Day Post Cruise

Staying at a hotel on 17th one night pre-cruise (Dec 2016) and looking for something on/near the beach for one night post cruise. Looking for a hotel where there are some places to eat and have a few drinks at a fairly reasonable price either at the hotel or within easy walking distance. Also not too far north as to avoid a large taxi bill from the port and to the airport the following day.

Places we are looking at:

Bahia Mar:

Looks like easy access to beach. Concerns are reviews discussing the marina building and an unpleasant odor in the hallways (rooms?) that sounds to me like sewer gas. Recent reviews have said that the marina building rooms have been remodeled. Interested to know if the renovations have abated that issue or if it remained. The main building sounds like it may be outdated but may be fine. Comments from anyone who has stayed recently in either building would be great! Also sounds like there is some controversy/opposition n the Fort Lauderdale community on a future building project. If the proposal were to go through, how far in the future do you suppose this is? Would it be post December 2016?

B Ocean Resort:

Seems like the reviews were pretty good until recently when the renovation construction began. Since then the reviews have been pretty bad most indicating that the disruption is far greater than they were lead to believe when they booked. Anyone know when they are slated to be done? Or stayed recently and have an opinion/advice?

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach:

Most expensive of the three but seems to hit most of what we would like and has the most consistant reviews. Any plusses/minuses anyone would care to share? Any advice on room category to select?

Also could get Pelican Grand on a reasonable Expedia rate but sounds like there isn't a lot food/drink-wise in the area aside from at the hotel and to be honest we may be able to afford to stay there with a great rate, I don't think we want to spend the money to eat/drink there. Plus seems like it's further away from both the port and airport so taxi fare may be an issue too.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Edited by SeasideMemories

I am also looking into a hotel post-cruise in September. I wanted something close to the water taxi. I saw Bahia Mar listed as stop 5 on the water taxi. I have read some reviews about the smell also. I'm not sure if that will be acceptable to us (2 women traveling together). We were just going to spend the day hopping on & off the water taxi.

Does anyone know of any other hotels on the water taxi's route?

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread but I would like some information regarding the same issues also.

I agree that of the hotels you mentioned, the Courtyard Marriott would be my choice. As the other poster asked, the Gallery One has a water taxi stop at the back door. It is also a great hotel.

Thanks BlueHerons and aarep for your responses!! First time cruising out of FLL so really appreciate info from those more familiar with the area!

I wound up getting a great deal on the Riverside so booked there! The Courtyard looked great but was at the top of our hotel budget for this trip. Have it book marked it for next time!! Even though the Riverside is not on the beach, I figure we can take the water taxi/sun trolley to the beach fairly easily.

PTAngel,

This is a link I found to the water taxi info showing the route/stops http://watertaxi.com/?s=&categories=54&locations=0&dir-search=yes There are a few hotels listed. Hope this helps!

Edited by SeasideMemories

Thanks BlueHerons and aarep for your responses!! First time cruising out of FLL so really appreciate info from those more familiar with the area!

I wound up getting a great deal on the Riverside so booked there! The Courtyard looked great but was at the top of our hotel budget for this trip. Have it book marked it for next time!! Even though the Riverside is not on the beach, I figure we can take the water taxi/sun trolley to the beach fairly easily.

PTAngel,

This is a link I found to the water taxi info showing the route/stops http://watertaxi.com/?s=&categories=54&locations=0&dir-search=yes There are a few hotels listed. Hope this helps!

You totally lucked out!

The Riverside is nicer than the three you mentioned and is a water taxi stop on request. I think you just ask the concierge to get the water taxi to stop and they will.

The Riverside is in the middle of beautiful Las Olas Boulevard (http://www.LasOlasBoulevard.com) which has amazing shopping, dining, and attractions.

What time of year will you be here? Maybe I missed that.

I just noticed to mentioned December 2016 and there are so many things going on on Las Olas that month, Christmas On Las Olas, Winterfest Boat Parade (https://winterfestparade.com/), Santa Con, etc and Las Olas is just magical during December.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks BlueHerons! The Riverside looks like a beautiful hotel and I am so excited that the Las Olas area will be decked out for Christmas. Hoping the ship will be too!

Booked flights last night too so it's official! :D Hard part now is waiting!!

You made a great choice. We have also stayed at the Riverside. We were in the newer section with a balcony with nice view. Wonderful restaurants all around and even has a Cheesecake Factory next door

!

I am also looking into a hotel post-cruise in September. I wanted something close to the water taxi. I saw Bahia Mar listed as stop 5 on the water taxi. I have read some reviews about the smell also. I'm not sure if that will be acceptable to us (2 women traveling together). We were just going to spend the day hopping on & off the water taxi.

Does anyone know of any other hotels on the water taxi's route?

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread but I would like some information regarding the same issues also.

The Pillars has it's own designated water taxi stop.

aarep,

Now that we are booked i did do some looking at what's in the area and seems like you can find just about any kind of food you might want!! Cheesecake Factory right next door could be downright dangerous ;) Am so happy with my choice especially after the great feedback!

Looking at the Hampton Las Olas location. Called and was told its 5 blocks from the Water taxi. What attracts me most is a free shuttle to/from the airport. We're staying one night post-cruise; thought of renting a car, but most hotels have parking fees, so this Hampton looks like a good deal.

Okay, Hampton seems like a decent place, just means sharing a nearby park with 100 homeless people. :eek:

Looking for post-cruise, near the water taxi. Riverside looks great, but its almost double the price for one Saturday night in October. I booked Hampton, but I'm leaning on changing the reservation.

aarep,

Now that we are booked i did do some looking at what's in the area and seems like you can find just about any kind of food you might want!! Cheesecake Factory right next door could be downright dangerous ;) Am so happy with my choice especially after the great feedback

I love Cheescake Factory but there are so many better restaurants on Las Olas

Timpanos

Lobster Bar (expensive)

Royal Pig

Yolo

Big City Tavern

Johnny Vs

Louie Bossi

Sweet Nectar

Roccos Tacos

Okay, Hampton seems like a decent place, just means sharing a nearby park with 100 homeless people. :eek:

Looking for post-cruise, near the water taxi. Riverside looks great, but its almost double the price for one Saturday night in October. I booked Hampton, but I'm leaning on changing the reservation.

I would not hesitate to stay at that Hampton Inn. LOL, there are very few homeless downtown.

Don't walk around there at night but it is perfectly safe by day.

BlueHerons,

Thank you so much for the restaurant suggestions! I have added them to my notes for Fort Lauderdale. I think the biggest problem we are going to have is trying to pick just one! We will have all day there so may not have to limit ourselves to just one. :D I am already eyeing the Italian bakery that looks like it's across the street!

Kicker,

If you are interested in the Riverside, check out Priceline Express Deals (no bidding necessary). I booked the Riverside there just last week for a really nice price for December.

BlueHerons,

Thank you so much for the restaurant suggestions! I have added them to my notes for Fort Lauderdale. I think the biggest problem we are going to have is trying to pick just one! We will have all day there so may not have to limit ourselves to just one. :D I am already eyeing the Italian bakery that looks like it's across the street!

Kicker,

If you are interested in the Riverside, check out Priceline Express Deals (no bidding necessary). I booked the Riverside there just last week for a really nice price for December.

Gran Forno (the bakery not the one attached to The Riverside). It is amazing! Really, do not miss. They close at six so at least go for coffee and a snack!

Gran Forno (the bakery not the one attached to The Riverside). It is amazing! Really, do not miss. They close at six so at least go for coffee and a snack!

The one I was looking at was Pan'e Dolci. But Gran Forno looks awesome! Glad to know that there are 2 with similar names. Thanks for that heads up! The one you suggested sounds more like the traditional bakery I am looking for. And I see they have sfogliatella!

We have an early flight out on Monday so may look into grabbing a couple of muffins or something that doesn't need to be refrigerated for the AM. Of course we will need to buy some things to sample first, strictly for quality control purposes, of course! ;)

The one I was looking at was Pan'e Dolci. But Gran Forno looks awesome! Glad to know that there are 2 with similar names. Thanks for that heads up! The one you suggested sounds more like the traditional bakery I am looking for. And I see they have sfogliatella!

We have an early flight out on Monday so may look into grabbing a couple of muffins or something that doesn't need to be refrigerated for the AM. Of course we will need to buy some things to sample first, strictly for quality control purposes, of course! ;)

Pan'e Dolci doesn't have room on premises to bake, Gran Forno has three side to side storefronts and bakes everything on premises.

Gran Forno Pronto is the one attached to The Riverside and they are part of the bakery. The bakery is so good (they used to just serve out of the bakery sandwiches, pizza, and quiche, no menu) that they've since expanded to multiple locations.

Make sure you go to Yolo, west of the hotel, and sit outside for a nightcap. It is such a juxtaposition to be sitting outside by a fire surrounded by all the tropical foilage and palm trees and yet be surrounded by high rise buildings.