Did I miss something

Having just returned from 15 nights on The Ovation I wonder if I missed a big announcement, but cannot see it listed on these threads.

As I catch up on my reading of recent editions of Travel Weekly I read that Michael Bayley has been quoted as saying that "plans are being drawn up for a new Class of Ship following the Groundbreaking Quantum Class"

I am surprised that such a statement has not been met with the usual name suggestions or suggestions for new on board experiences and features.

Or did I miss the excitement. :eek:

It's only a question of when, not if - they have to replace both Vision and Radiance class ships in the next 5+ years. They need some marketing buzz to keep up bookings. Look at the MSC Seaside - lots of interest just on the buzz even if the ship is almost 2 years away. My money is still on a Celebrity Edge class ship derivative for Royal.

And it wouldn't surprise me, as Quantum came from S Class.

That one was a lot more obvious since the same shipyard built both.

The news release from the STX shipyard web site mentions a construction start date for the first Edge Class ship for Celebrity as summer 2016 - I'm surprised there's not more info out yet.

Scared them from using older ships?

But the problem with Empress 'seems' to have occurred because it was out of the control of the Royal brand for a few years, and 'standards' for upkeep/maintenance (???) were different.

Royal should have done a better job, prior to starting the work on Empress to know what was going to be needed, to avoid some of the debacle with cancellations. I know it is tough to leave more time to do the work (upfront), when every day it is out of the water, the 'company' theoretically is losing money.

I liken it to a home remodeling of an older home -- until you peel down the walls you don't know what additional things will need to get done.