Difference between Ocean Liner and Cruise ship

Cruise ships are now built as one class.

Not entirely true. Cunard still holds out some vestiges of class-based sailing. And Norwegian certainly has a separated class with its "Haven" cabins. And quite frankly, Princess just introduced a new class that allows certain passengers to enjoy things that are simply not available to everyone else. I'm not arguing that any of this is wrong. But I think of a "one class" cruise experience as one where every single person has equal access to all public areas and dining venues on the ship. I'm not talking about perks that people in suites get that others don't. Or areas such as the Sanctuary that cost extra money. I'm referring to a guest walking up to a restaurant, lounge or seating area and being told in no uncertain terms that they cannot have access to that area at any time, at any cost because they did not book a cabin in a high enough category. That, to me, is a class system and it most certainly exists on cruise ships as well as ocean liners.

Not entirely true. Cunard still holds out some vestiges of class-based sailing. And Norwegian certainly has a separated class with its "Haven" cabins. And quite frankly, Princess just introduced a new class that allows certain passengers to enjoy things that are simply not available to everyone else. I'm not arguing that any of this is wrong. But I think of a "one class" cruise experience as one where every single person has equal access to all public areas and dining venues on the ship. I'm not talking about perks that people in suites get that others don't. Or areas such as the Sanctuary that cost extra money. I'm referring to a guest walking up to a restaurant, lounge or seating area and being told in no uncertain terms that they cannot have access to that area at any time, at any cost because they did not book a cabin in a high enough category. That, to me, is a class system and it most certainly exists on cruise ships as well as ocean liners.

I agree.