Possible cancellation logistics

Now DH and I would NEVER cancel a cruise (LOL), but our cruising companions are "on the rocks" and might not make it to the cruise. So, just wondering the logistics of the cancellation policy. I think I read that they'd get a refund if it's cancelled 61 days prior to the cruise. It's a 5 day cruise booked under Early Saver. The only tricky part is technically DH is on the girl's booking and the girl's boyfriend is on my booking because they were too young to book a room together. Would I just be able to change the name to my husband's name under my booking?

Well, first of all, if they are not past final payment date they can cancel, but will still forfeit $50/person and the rest of their deposits will be held in their names for up to two years, to be used for a future cruise. Technically Early Saver doesn't allow for name changes (it's in the terms of the rate). I have no idea how they will handle the fact that each on of them is booked in a room with you and and with your husband. Probably best to call and ask about that one. Hopefully you won't be stuck with two rooms, having to pay single supplements for each room. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Well, first of all, if they are not past final payment date they can cancel, but will still forfeit $50/person and the rest of their deposits will be held in their names for up to two years, to be used for a future cruise. Technically Early Saver doesn't allow for name changes (it's in the terms of the rate). I have no idea how they will handle the fact that each on of them is booked in a room with you and and with your husband. Probably best to call and ask about that one. Hopefully you won't be stuck with two rooms, having to pay single supplements for each room. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Great! That freaking better not happen! I'd be so mad! :mad: There's no way I'm paying for two rooms! DH and I are doing a B2B.

Sounds like you were trying to do someone a favor and will end up "holding the bag" Unless you have a very good relationship with your PVP and they are really good at convincing their supervision to waive the fees you are going to be out some $$$. The sooner you make the change the better.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Unless you have a very good relationship with your PVP and they are really good at convincing their supervision to waive the fees you are going to be out some $$$.

Now that I'm thinking about it, she might not be out too much I money. She can always move her husband into her room and cancel the second room, but she might be out the deposit for him. Or at least $50 and the rest of the deposit held for a future cruise (or maybe applied to this one). To the OP: hopefully that's the case and you are only out $50. Or at worst, not be able to use his deposit for this cruise. Let us know how you make out after you call them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Now that I'm thinking about it, she might not be out too much I money. She can always move her husband into her room and cancel the second room, but she might be out the deposit for him. Or at least $50 and the rest of the deposit held for a future cruise (or maybe applied to this one). To the OP: hopefully that's the case and you are only out $50. Or at worst, not be able to use his deposit for this cruise. Let us know how you make out after you call them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know if that will work. There are 4 of them. Moving hubby to her room will require a 3 person room and then they still can't make name changes and would need to put an additional deposit down. If they drop the other person then they will lose the additional deposit. It also could be considered a name change. I'm really not sure. This is pretty confusing. But I think what you propose might have worked if there were only 3 people.

Did anyone have cancel for any reason insurance? That might help some with the solo supplement problem should it be applied. There are some plans that you can still get before final payment date. Nationwide has some and they are called "Choice Cruise " and "Universal Cruise". You can get cancel for any reason. Might be worth looking into.

I don't know if that will work. There are 4 of them. Moving hubby to her room will require a 3 person room and then they still can't make name changes and would need to put an additional deposit down. If they drop the other person then they will lose the additional deposit. It also could be considered a name change. I'm really not sure. This is pretty confusing. But I think what you propose might have worked if there were only 3 people.

Did anyone have cancel for any reason insurance? That might help some with the solo supplement problem should it be applied. There are some plans that you can still get before final payment date. Nationwide has some and they are called "Choice Cruise " and "Universal Cruise". You can get cancel for any reason. Might be worth looking into.

I don't think it was intended to move someone into their cabin. It's a mess because it is early saver, no name changes and deposits are not refunded, but carried over for future use.

I don't think it was intended to move someone into their cabin. It's a mess because it is early saver, no name changes and deposits are not refunded, but carried over for future use.

Yeah. What I was thinking is that if the other 2 people cancelled, then OP and hubby would still have 2 rooms, but wouldn't be charged the solo supplement if the other 2 bailed because the insurance would kick in. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if this particular insurance reimburses for the solo supplement, but I have had others that would have covered it.

Yeah. What I was thinking is that if the other 2 people cancelled, then OP and hubby would still have 2 rooms, but wouldn't be charged the solo supplement if the other 2 bailed because the insurance would kick in. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if this particular insurance reimburses for the solo supplement, but I have had others that would have covered it.

most cancel for any reason policies would only cover 75 percent if cancelled without a valid reason to get the full amount back.

most cancel for any reason policies would only cover 75 percent if cancelled without a valid reason to get the full amount back.

Yes, for the people who are cancelling. I honestly don't care about them [emoji41]. I'm wondering if it would help OP and her DH by paying their solo supplements.

Yes, for the people who are cancelling. I honestly don't care about them [emoji41]. I'm wondering if it would help OP and her DH by paying their solo supplements.

that's what i'm saying. the folks that are bailing on them will still have to come up with the other 25 percent as well as purchasing the policy. if they are going to bail on them to begin with i doubt they will fork that money over knowing they aren't going to go.

and since i have to assume they couple isn't married......the ones bailing because if they were married they could have gotten their own cabin in their own name......who is going to cough up the money :confused:

that's what i'm saying. the folks that are bailing on them will still have to come up with the other 25 percent as well as purchasing the policy. if they are going to bail on them to begin with i doubt they will fork that money over knowing they aren't going to go.

and since i have to assume they couple isn't married......the ones bailing because if they were married they could have gotten their own cabin in their own name......who is going to cough up the money :confused:

It could also be possible that if OP and her DH purchase the policy that they may be covered even if the others don't. That is going to have to be a question for InsureMyTrip or Squaremouth.

I'm guessing they did the cabins like that because OP and DH are Past Guests or had a certain rate that the others weren't eligible for.

It could also be possible that if OP and her DH purchase the policy that they may be covered even if the others don't. That is going to have to be a question for InsureMyTrip or Squaremouth.

I'm guessing they did the cabins like that because OP and DH are Past Guests or had a certain rate that the others weren't eligible for.

In the original post she states they did it because the other couple was " too young" to book on their own.

Let me put this out there for the OP and the others on the board to see what they think.

Cancel one room since they don't need it. Lose the deposit and it is put in the Carnival Bank for future use.

Move the remaining person into the other room as a third person. This would require a 3 person room but theoretically, the third does not pay all of the fare.

Then the other person not going is a 'No-Show'. Losing the fare but getting the refund of port fees that can now be applied to the third person.

All providing that there is no insurance policy.

This might work. But because it is complicated, I hope the OP has a good Travel Agent, PVP, or gets a decent Customer Service person when calling Carnival.

If you don't have a PVP, can you ask for one and have the bookings transferred to the PVP?

Just to keep the discussion going.

Let me put this out there for the OP and the others on the board to see what they think.

Cancel one room since they don't need it. Lose the deposit and it is put in the Carnival Bank for future use.

Move the remaining person into the other room as a third person. This would require a 3 person room but theoretically, the third does not pay all of the fare.

Then the other person not going is a 'No-Show'. Losing the fare but getting the refund of port fees that can now be applied to the third person.

This might work. But because it is complicated, I hope the OP has a good Travel Agent, PVP, or gets a decent Customer Service person when calling Carnival.

If you don't have a PVP, can you ask for one and have the bookings transferred to the PVP?

They are going on a Back 2 Back so it would involve them getting stuck paying for a "third" person for 2 cruises. I doubt one of the people cancelling are going to pay their fare so the OP doesn't have to. But I see where you're trying to go with this.

Honestly, my head is hurting trying to figure all this out. Hopefully the other couple will end up going. I agree that them having good PVP would be wonderful right about now.

If you transfer the booking to a PVP at this point he/she isn't going to get credit for the booking are they?

I didn't think they would anyway which would mean the PVP would be using their valuable time trying to fix this mess and get paid nothing while he could be using the time to do cold calls.

Bill

I would call Carnival and consult with them first. Most likely ask the rep to cancel the bookings..eat the $100 per person fee due to it being B2B.. then use you and your husband's residual deposit..which becomes a future cruise credit..to rebook one of the cabins for your B2B.

In the original post she states they did it because the other couple was " too young" to book on their own.

which is why i have to assume they are unmarried as the age qualifier to book a cabin is different for a married couple than an unmarried couple.

I called a PVP at Carnival and explained the situation. From what she said (which I find hard to believe), the girl will just have to call to cancel and then my DH can be changed to my room without a cost. She said the girl would just have to be the one to call back to cancel. I asked if we should call her directly and she said we could just call the 800 number because they'd need to get a supervisor anyway. But when we call back I'd like to go through her to remind her what she told me!

And for everyone talking about a third person rate, the guy won't be going either, it will be just me and DH. And our B2B shouldn't be affected at all as it is a totally different booking.

It just makes me mad that they even put down a deposit in the first place knowing they didn't want to spend the money to go. Now they are going to lose $150. And if the PVP is wrong and worst case scenario is that I have to pay $50 for a "name change" to get DH in my room and on my booking then so be it! I'm so over it! :mad:

Get her to call from your phone... Take your cell phone to her if you have to so that after she handles cancelling "on speaker" she can give you the phone to get your DH all squared away. You friend sounds irresponsible and she can do this in such a way as to screw up your reservation and cost you even more money.

Just my 2 cents worth ;)