Gifts for the Crew

Prujam

Just had to chime in...cash has always seemed the best gift, along with a personal note. This topic reminds me of one of the incidents on a prior cruise which still makes me laugh inside/cringe. We had a number of our dinners at a large table so we could chat with new people. After a few days (it was a 21 day cruise) some of the same group of us would sit together and included in our little group was a well-traveled and very experienced and VERY sophisticated mature couple. They knew where to shop, what to buy, what to see, what to do that was the very best at every port. And they generously shared that type of information repeatedly so as to guide everyone's efforts. A couple of nights before we got to home port my husband reminded me we needed to get change and envelopes for notes and additional tips. This couple sort of huffed and said they had already purchased gifts for those crew members who had shown exceptional service. Last night at sea, as the rest of us pulled out our tacky envelopes to thank the wait staff (we'd had the same table and waitstaff for most of the trip) the couple pulled out a big shopping bag from against the wall at the end of the table. They called over the waitstaff and handed each one a really prettily wrapped large parcel. "Open it up!" the wife

encouraged. Our head waiter unwrapped his. It was a really large (larger than 8 X 10) color photo of the couple in a really ornate heavy frame. The back of the frame had a wire for hanging and a substantial wall hook was also enclosed. "Something to remember us by!" she said.:eek:

DH and I privately thought, "Yeah, they'll never forget you. Neither will we!"

And we haven't. We always use cash.

margretha

Just had to chime in...cash has always seemed the best gift, along with a personal note. This topic reminds me of one of the incidents on a prior cruise which still makes me laugh inside/cringe. We had a number of our dinners at a large table so we could chat with new people. After a few days (it was a 21 day cruise) some of the same group of us would sit together and included in our little group was a well-traveled and very experienced and VERY sophisticated mature couple. They knew where to shop, what to buy, what to see, what to do that was the very best at every port. And they generously shared that type of information repeatedly so as to guide everyone's efforts. A couple of nights before we got to home port my husband reminded me we needed to get change and envelopes for notes and additional tips. This couple sort of huffed and said they had already purchased gifts for those crew members who had shown exceptional service. Last night at sea, as the rest of us pulled out our tacky envelopes to thank the wait staff (we'd had the same table and waitstaff for most of the trip) the couple pulled out a big shopping bag from against the wall at the end of the table. They called over the waitstaff and handed each one a really prettily wrapped large parcel. "Open it up!" the wife

encouraged. Our head waiter unwrapped his. It was a really large (larger than 8 X 10) color photo of the couple in a really ornate heavy frame. The back of the frame had a wire for hanging and a substantial wall hook was also enclosed. "Something to remember us by!" she said.:eek:

DH and I privately thought, "Yeah, they'll never forget you. Neither will we!"

And we haven't. We always use cash.

margretha

Margretha

That is one if the funniest cruise stories I have ever heard. If I had been on your table I don't think I would have been able to control myself from laughing. Still I suppose the waiters could take the photo out of the frame and replace it wil a picture of their family , as they say 'Every cloud has a silver lining".

As I said in an earlier post on a Christmas cruise we do take a small gift for the cabin staff for Christmas Day but that is a bonus on top of the cash we leave at the end of the cruise.

Well that will keep me smiling through a very wet cloudy day today.

Thanks

Glyn

Edited by glynandkath

If you really want to give a gift to your stateroom staff, take 5 minutes to keep your cabin tidy. Save them some time so that they can finish their work and relax for a few extra minutes. Priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you really want to give a gift to your stateroom staff, take 5 minutes to keep your cabin tidy. Save them some time so that they can finish their work and relax for a few extra minutes. Priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always try to do this and give cash as well. Who wants to deal with someone els's dirty clothes, etc..? Good suggestion! :D

I will have to dispute those who say cash is the only thing they want. I just returned today from a cruise and was bombarded by crew when I pulled out a bag of gifts and placed them on the table in the buffet. I told them to take what they wanted, and the entire bag disappeared in a few minutes. Some asked if they could take more than one so they could give them to family and friends.

If you select appropriate items to give them, most will appreciate the gesture.

I wil add that I received excellent service for the entire cruise and most were calling me by name for the entire cruise.

I rest my case !!!!

I will have to dispute those who say cash is the only thing they want. I just returned today from a cruise and was bombarded by crew when I pulled out a bag of gifts and placed them on the table in the buffet. I told them to take what they wanted, and the entire bag disappeared in a few minutes. Some asked if they could take more than one so they could give them to family and friends.

I wil add that I received excellent service for the entire cruise and most were calling me by name for the entire cruise.

I rest my case !!!!

What were the "appropriate" gifts that you gave them, if I may ask?

I rest my case !!!!

Hooray!

I bet you received some hugs too :) We just got off the Jewel and the Officer who hugged both my DH and me did not burst our "breathing bubble!" ;)

My butlers always seem thrilled when I offer them my remaining bar setup along with my cash tip.

We had a butler tell us that he and many of the butlers do not drink (their religion) when we gave him our extra bar setup. But he did say that he appreciated the unopened bottles because it made it easier for them to switch out what others wanted or give to others in the villas as his gift to them if they needed.

Hooray!

I bet you received some hugs too :) We just got off the Jewel and the Officer who hugged both my DH and me did not burst our "breathing bubble!" ;)

I did receive hugs, email addresses, and handshakes. I have been doing the same thing for several years, and the only negative reaction I have ever received is on these boards.

On out first cruise I rather misjudged the water package and we had about 6x1l bottles left over. Room attendant was very pleased to take them, saying they have to pay for their bottles water. Not that I'm suggesting water as a gift...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I could answer you privately, I would tell you, but past experience has proven that any item mentioned here immediately starts an argument.

Could you send me an email with that info, please. :)

Email in sig.

Note that some crew positions may be expressly forbidden from receiving cash tips (kids club staff on several cruise lines cannot accept tips or have to pool tips to "throw a party" for all kids club staff). In those cases, we have given large bags of candy/treats -- enough to share with 10+ people, if needed.

Would it be less offensive to be touched and hugged by strange slim caucasian tourist couples?

No touching from strange slim caucasian tourist couples who don't wash their hands after using public washrooms. Washy Washy or no love and hug.

Margretha

That is one if the funniest cruise stories I have ever heard. If I had been on your table I don't think I would have been able to control myself from laughing. Still I suppose the waiters could take the photo out of the frame and replace it wil a picture of their family , as they say 'Every cloud has a silver lining".

As I said in an earlier post on a Christmas cruise we do take a small gift for the cabin staff for Christmas Day but that is a bonus on top of the cash we leave at the end of the cruise.

Well that will keep me smiling through a very wet cloudy day today.

Thanks

Glyn

I am doing a Christmas cruise also and along with the usual additional tip for great service at the end of the cruise I did want to pick up a little something for Christmas Day? Any suggestions?

I realize many are not Christian but I am.

I am doing a Christmas cruise also and along with the usual additional tip for great service at the end of the cruise I did want to pick up a little something for Christmas Day? Any suggestions?

Same as all the rest. Being Christian does not mean that Moses will come and part the Red Sea to make room for your gift.

Give them cash. In a Christmas card if you must.

What part about crew cabins being the size of a shoebox do people not understand? Go stand in your bathtub. That's about how much room your average crew member has.

Edited by triptolemus

Same as all the rest. Being Christian does not mean that Moses will come and part the Red Sea to make room for your gift.

Give them cash. In a Christmas card if you must.

What part about crew cabins being the size of a shoebox do people not understand? Go stand in your bathtub. That's about how much room your average crew member has.

Your unbelievable. How rude. I don't want to give cash and less a Christmas card.