Maitre d training in customer relations !

Just back today from a wonderful cruise on Eclipse in Norway. Firstly I have to say the food everywhere was great and far superior to the food we had on Millenium in January. However....we had two separate issues with different Maitre D s which made me think some staff training is needed. We bought the three dinner speciality dining package before boarding. Our first dinner was in Murano and so good that when the waiter asked if we would like to come again we booked for the last night. Two days later we tried Tuscan Grille. We've done this many times before and our favourite dessert is the chocolate fondue so of course we both ordered that. When it came it was cold and watery like drinking chocolate that had been mixed then allowed to go cold with 'bits ' floating in it. We sent it straight back. Five minutes later it came back, heated up but still watery. Definitely not real chocolate do we called the Maitre D over. His response was that was how the chefs were told to make it and we should order something else ! I said no , I wanted what I had ordered and he just took the dishes away without another word. After 15 more minutes we were just about to walk out when our waiter returned with the proper dessert, explaining that he had fetched the chocolate himself. The Maitre D never reappeared. The next day we took it up with the Executive Chef and he couldn't believe it either. He arranged us a complimentary dinner which was absolutely fine. On our last night we returned to Murano for the dinner we booked after our first night. The restaurant was full and the Maitre D there said he had no booking ! I was really annoyed and told him so. How hard is it for a waiter to walk to the desk, after persuading the customers to come again, and input the next booking ? Luckily after waiting a while one table never turned up and we got our meal but not before he lectured us that we should always reconfirm bookings ! How it was our fault I don't know but it was another example of poor customer service.

Just back today from a wonderful cruise on Eclipse in Norway. Firstly I have to say the food everywhere was great and far superior to the food we had on Millenium in January. However....we had two separate issues with different Maitre D s which made me think some staff training is needed. We bought the three dinner speciality dining package before boarding. Our first dinner was in Murano and so good that when the waiter asked if we would like to come again we booked for the last night. Two days later we tried Tuscan Grille. We've done this many times before and our favourite dessert is the chocolate fondue so of course we both ordered that. When it came it was cold and watery like drinking chocolate that had been mixed then allowed to go cold with 'bits ' floating in it. We sent it straight back. Five minutes later it came back, heated up but still watery. Definitely not real chocolate do we called the Maitre D over. His response was that was how the chefs were told to make it and we should order something else ! I said no , I wanted what I had ordered and he just took the dishes away without another word. After 15 more minutes we were just about to walk out when our waiter returned with the proper dessert, explaining that he had fetched the chocolate himself. The Maitre D never reappeared. The next day we took it up with the Executive Chef and he couldn't believe it either. He arranged us a complimentary dinner which was absolutely fine. On our last night we returned to Murano for the dinner we booked after our first night. The restaurant was full and the Maitre D there said he had no booking ! I was really annoyed and told him so. How hard is it for a waiter to walk to the desk, after persuading the customers to come again, and input the next booking ? Luckily after waiting a while one table never turned up and we got our meal but not before he lectured us that we should always reconfirm bookings ! How it was our fault I don't know but it was another example of poor customer service.

It's a pain, but you DO need to reconfirm. We had this happen at a hotel in Montreal. I had the printed itinerary, but they couldn't find us in the "system". We found the hotel fully booked & had to settle for a "smoking" room(at a high discount, mind you) Luckily it didn't smell of smokers.