Do you recommend drink packages?

and If so, which one? I like wine and frozen margaritas :)

Jennifer

If you post exactly what drinks you will consume on average every day, we can tell you if a package would save you money.

Gosh, who can plan that? LOL...I might 3 or 4 drinks or maybe 10 or 12...depends on the day I guess...

Jennifer

On the days you drink 3 or 4 drinks, the drink package would probably not save you money. On the days you drink 12 or 12 drinks, the drink package would definitely save you money. Unfortunately, you cannot pick and choose the days you will have the package, so you have to make your decision up front.

Edited by clarea

do you have to get the package for every day or can you pick and choose your days?

You must get the package for at least 4 days, and whenever you start it, it must last until the end of the cruise.

It used to be an average of around 5 to 6 drinks a day would make the package worthwhile, however with Royal's new pricing strategy of the moving target on drinks packages it makes it harder to determine.

The other thing to remember is that soda and bottled water is also included, so drop the number of alcoholic drinks down 1 and add those in and you will be making out (normally). If you want the margaritas (and not specialty coffee) I would price out the premium package. Consider a margarita to be close to $12 plus tip, wines about $8 - 12 plus tip a glass depending on what you get. Look at the current pricing and see if makes sense for you. One of the other things we like is that you can try out other drinks to see if you like them. If you don't, try another no reason to drink the one you really don't care for.

Edited by akcruz

It totally depends on how much you drink. For my wife who might might have 2 drinks a day, no way.

For this guy who has a mimosa with breakfast, beer with lunch, 2-3 by the pool, a couple before dinner.. A couple with dinner... A few after dinner.. Then yes, it is worth it.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

what is the difference between Premium and Ultimate?

The biggest difference is the ultimate has sparkling water, specialty coffees and fresh squeezed orange juice. The alcohol included is the same.

I just tried to add it onto my package and it says 388.00. It didn't ask me for how many days???

Jennifer

You can only pre-purchase for the entire length of the cruise. If you want to do less than the full cruise length you must purchase onboard (and hope the pricing is favorable).

Does anyone know what the price would be purchasing from the bar instead of pre-paying for the whole week? This will cost over 600.00 for my and my husband for the trip...I can't drink that much!

Jennifer

Does anyone know what the price would be purchasing from the bar instead of pre-paying for the whole week? This will cost over 600.00 for my and my husband for the trip...I can't drink that much!

Jennifer

You will be surprised how quickly buying on a daily basis adds up, also you have to take into account gratuities on each drink? were as if you have the package its all included and to sum it all up, no nasty bill at the end of the cruse.

Its your call:D

I just tried to add it onto my package and it says 388.00. It didn't ask me for how many days???

Jennifer

If you don't want it for the whole cruise you have to wait until you get on the ship. The day you want to start it, go to any bar and they'll take care of you. Remember, once you start it it has to be for the rest of the cruise, no picking and choosing days.

Any idea how much it is if I get it thru the bar instead of booking now?

Jennifer

With all the pricing changes going on with the drinks packages lately nobody can tell you for certain what will be charged for the packages once you board. The only way to lock in a price is to book ahead of time. Of course, you need to book for the entire cruise before hand. Its a tough one, but only you can make that final decision on how to proceed.

Great question. We are RCCL newbies and will be sailing for 14 nights in July 2017! We plan to get a drink package, I'm just not sure of which one. Personally, I love mixed drinks, frozen drinks, wine, beer, soda, water. Hubby likes wine, beer, spirits/mixed drinks, coffee, soda, water. We have 2 kids with us as well.

My question is this...can hubby order the package that includes the coffees, teas and Fresh juices and I can order the other one? Also...do you pay tax or gratuity in addition to the package price?

Trying to understand the various packages. :confused:

Edited by ilovewdw

Great question. We are RCCL newbies and will be sailing for 14 nights in July 2017! We plan to get a drink package, I'm just not sure of which one. Personally, I love mixed drinks, frozen drinks, wine, beer, soda, water. Hubby likes wine, beer, spirits/mixed drinks, coffee. We have 2 kids with us as well.

My question is this...can hubby order the package that includes the coffees, teas and Fresh juices and I can order the other one? Also...you you pay tax or gratuity in addition to the package price?

Trying to understand the various packages. :confused:

You can each order different (or no) packages. Royal adds 18% gratuity at the time you purchase the package.

Edited by clarea

The packages can seem confusing, but they really aren't. clarea's awesome link gives the details on what each package includes and the prices pre-gratuity.

Calculating the economics of it is pretty simple. All prices below are pre-gratuity.

Beers are generally around $6.00 each.

Mixed drinks are generally $10 each.

Martinis and specialty cocktails are generally $12 each.

Wines are all over the place from $7 to $16 and up per glass. Only the first $12 is covered.

Figure out what you'll likely drink each day, add it up and compare to the daily price of the package (pre-gratuity). Of course, Royal's moving target price on the package and reports of different drink prices on Ovation make it more of an art than a science.

If someone asks if a package is a good idea I would say yes. Wehave had them over the last couple of cruises.

Being on vacation on a port heavy itinerary I will have a couple of drinks in port and maybe a drink or two back on the ship(MAYBE)

I also noticed that neither DW or myself got our money's worth and with the next 2 cruises will just have a drink when I want one and see where the chips lie at the end. I will still look for the drink of the day specials and the drink card if/when it becomes available.

Not a big drinker of anything but water and some juices normally so the 'loss' of trying fancy different drinks because they are included doesn't hold alot of sway with me. My wife OTOH.....

It totally depends on how much you drink. For my wife who might might have 2 drinks a day, no way.

For this guy who has a mimosa with breakfast, beer with lunch, 2-3 by the pool, a couple before dinner.. A couple with dinner... A few after dinner.. Then yes, it is worth it.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This has great information. For me the drink package is def worth it considering I drink mixed drinks, like the high end liquor and the increase in drink prices! :eek:

Thank you

These have been the prices, but they can change at any time:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Add 18% for gratuity.

I laugh at the 20% off deals. On one of my sailings it shows 20% off and a price of $44 per day. When I booked the package it was showing as $39 per day also 20% off. My May sailing shows 20% off with a price of $47 per day???

It makes no sense at all.